Stereo system in Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Stereo system in Compass

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 08-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
tricialynn78

Stereo system in Compass

My new car did not have this feature :Flip down liftgate speakers Is this something that I can have installed? Or is this factory only installed? I really was looking forward to that cute boombox, but since I was impatient and wanted it right then and there, I will not get the pleasure of it. Anyone know?

tricialynn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That is just part of the 9 speaker Boston Acoustics system. Are you wanting all of it or just the swing down speakers?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
tricialynn78

Well probably the whole system, but if I can get just the lift down speakers on the back, that would be great.
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Jason31

Just an FYI from a Compass owner that has the flip-down option. Yes it does add sound and is nice while outside to direct the sound better outside the Jeep. Seems to balance the sound outside and overall adds to the sound quality. All of this of course it dependant on how much volume you use. The speakers in the back won't handle a lot of volume without distorting.
Unread 08-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

I asked the same question to my dealer, as I only have the base sound system install. It would require the dealer to install new wiring/fittings, and would cost more than it is worth.

If you are after better sound, as I am in the near future, your best bet would be to have a better sound system installed by professionals.

I am from Australia, and local well known installers offered me an upgrade kit which integrates to the factory head unit. It comprises of:

- 1000W 6-channel amp (powers all four speakers and a sub)
- Required components to integrate the amp to the factory head unit
- 12" Pioneer subwoofer (can't remember the name type, its the kind that doesn't require to be boxed/enclosure)
- Labour

All for $980AU (approximately $880 US).

For this I get a much better/cleaner/powerful sound - whilst maintaining the factory look!
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Kicker is offering upgrades in conjunction with MOPAR. Start here and see if you can find what your looking for:

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/Audio.html

Unread 08-14-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
Gaze
1996 ZJ 

When I picked up my Patriot and it didn't have the Navigation or the Boston Acousitcs setup I asked them what it would run to install them...

$2700 for unit and install for the Navigation.
$2300 for wiring and instalation of the upgraded speaker package.

It's certainly not worth it.
Unread 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
tricialynn78

Thank you all for answering, I am definetly not willing to pay $5000 to get the system put in by them. I am new to this forum, since I am a new jeep owner. I appreciate all of the answers I have had up to this point and as I come up with new questions, I now know where to send them to. Being a woman, I do not know much about the stereo systems. So I guess I will see how the factory system works and then I will go from there. Have a good day!
Unread 08-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

I had the single CD radio with Sirius and stock 4 speakers.

It really sounded GREAT! And I can be an audio prude at times.

It really suprised me for a stock system.

At the dealer I turned on the same sat radio station in a Patriot with the BA 9 speaker set up and one with the stock and kept switching between vehicles.

There was more low end in the BA setup due to the subwoofer, but honestly not enough difference for me to get the upgrade for the $$$.

However, I did want a Navigation unit pretty bad, so I lucked up and found a new one on eBay for $750. Installed it myself.

BUT, the audio quality of the Nav radio and the 4 stock speakers is not nearly as nice as it was with the stock single CD unit.

So I gained the Nav, but lost some punch and clarity.

Cheers,
Jim
Unread 08-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
tricialynn78

OK, nevermind. The dealership was unable to "get their hands" on the car that they were supposed to have gotten for me. So for 40 more a month, I am getting the Epackage which includes all the I had wanted to begin with. They were just getting me a D package with power windows/locks and AC. So I am happier Compass owner!!!
I look forward to taking it to South Padre this weekend. I will be able to use the flipdown system on the beach. So much fun to be had. Thanks again !!!!
Unread 08-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sounds like a happy ending to a new beginning!

Unread 08-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
sportjeeptj99
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricialynn78
Thank you all for answering, I am definetly not willing to pay $5000 to get the system put in by them. I am new to this forum, since I am a new jeep owner. I appreciate all of the answers I have had up to this point and as I come up with new questions, I now know where to send them to. Being a woman, I do not know much about the stereo systems. So I guess I will see how the factory system works and then I will go from there. Have a good day!
I have the stock 6 disc changer and had the stock 4 speakers, it sounded great but I wanted it just a little better. For right at $200 i replaced all 4 door speakers with some pioneer 6x9's and added two tweeters to the dash.

It sounds amazing now! I was thinking it might do a sub down the road before I put those in but with how it sounds now, im not going to bother.
sportjeeptj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #13
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjeeptj99
I have the stock 6 disc changer and had the stock 4 speakers, it sounded great but I wanted it just a little better. For right at $200 i replaced all 4 door speakers with some pioneer 6x9's and added two tweeters to the dash.

It sounds amazing now! I was thinking it might do a sub down the road before I put those in but with how it sounds now, im not going to bother.
Amen.
I went the same path, although with Infinity 6x9 and Kenwood tweeters, and mine sounds so great I may just stop there, without adding amps or subs. My only difficulty was trimming out all that extra treble! I've never had vehicle sound this good before.

Now if only that Mopar IPOD kit wasn't such a piece of junk!
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Does anyone know if the factory units have low level preouts? I'm sure they don't have RCA Jacks, but I was hoping that some of the pins coming off the radio harness were preouts for the Boston system and could be hacked in to RCA outs.

The only other possibility is that the Boston systems uses the high level outs from the factory system, which would be kind of lame for a $500 upgrade.
soycap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
The only other possibility is that the Boston systems uses the high level outs from the factory system, which would be kind of lame for a $500 upgrade.

Yes it would, but you know what, I think it is.

If you go to the site in my sig, and dload the Radio Pin Chart and Radio Amp Pin Chart from the diagram and templates section I think you will see what I think I am seeing.

Take a look and see if you see something different than I do.

Jim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.