Steering Wheel Audio Controls - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Steering Wheel Audio Controls

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-11-2008, 01:35 AM   #16
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBroiled View Post
maybe not, all the audio controls are is a two wire circuit with a resister network that gives different values depending on whats pressed, when no controls are pressed its an open circuit. so no controls = controls with no buttons pressed.
Hi
Yes I know how the system works just when jeepster55 did this in the other post the audio controls didn’t work so I guess there must be more to it.
Regards,
Merlin

Unread 04-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #17
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

just went and read that thread. interesting.

doesnt make sense from a programmers point of view though as you can use the same code regardless of whether the controls are there or not as its a normally open circuit until a button is pressed.. seems to make it needlessly complicated. but who knows what lurks in the minds of jeep engineers

hopefully it will work in daveps case.

PS enjoy the USA and florida!
Unread 04-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #18
merlinTec

Hi
Checked today no option on the radio or in the CCN to add controls but got some voltages off star scan to go with the resistances you posted.
Right (White) Volume Up 1.210 Kilohms 2.65 volts
Right (White) Volume Down 3.010 Kilohms 3.31 volts
Right (White) Mode Advance 0.0511 Kilohms 0 volts
Left (Black) Seek Up 0.261 Kilohms 0.98 volts
Left (Black) Seek Down 0.681 Kilohms 1.9 volts
Left (Black) Pre-Set Station Advance 0.162 Kilohms 0.45 volts
With no buttons pressed got a voltage of 4.18 so I would assume there would be a 5 volt reference and there is a circuit through the switches with no buttons pressed to drop the voltage down to 4.18.
I wanted to disconnect the control and see if it went to 5 volts and to see if I had a circuit across the switches but didn’t have time. I also didn’t find one without controls as I wanted to see if it still displayed the audio voltage in the data display on the CCN
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
davep
2007 MK Compass 

So, I went to my local Jeep dealer to pick up the steering wheel... it was not only the wrong color, but also the wrong car! Somehow they ordered one from a Dodge Journey...go figure.

The parts guy took a few minutes to try and find the correct part number, even looking up a Compass VIN on the lot that had the exact steering wheel I was trying to order, but his parts program was bringing up two possible parts, with no difference in the description (I can only assume one is grey and one is beige; but the description didn't indicate which was which). He left me with a "I'll need some time to try and figure out what to order".

Anyone have the part number for the gray leather wheel?

Thanks!
davep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #20
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

DA is the slate gray color code

1EB83XDVAA [DA] With Speed Control [NHM]
1EB861DVAA [DA] With Speed Control [NHM]
& Steering Mounted Audio Controls [RDZ]

KA is the pebble beige color code

1EB83DK7AA [KA] With Speed Control [NHM]
1EB86DK7AA [KA] With Speed Control [NHM]
& Steering Mounted Audio Controls [RDZ]

Numbers may be superseded but they should be able to find it with this info.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #21
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep View Post
I ordered the leather steering wheel for my Compass Sport, which should arrive in the next week or so. The parts guy said that all of the leather wheels have the audio control built in. He also said something like "if your car has the wiring, we can hook it up, otherwise they won't work".

So, my question is... Does anyone know how the steering wheel audio connects to the car? If my car doesn't have the harness, wouldn't that be something I could add?

Thanks!

-Dave
sorry, no....doesn't work.

when i did mine, i added Cruise Control. the Cruise install uses a small wiring harness in the wheel that also attaches to the audio controls. BUT my guess is that the wiring in the steering column/dash area is either not connected to my radio OR it lacks the wiring all together. honestly, i've moved on and not followed up on it any further. SKID PLATES! that's where it's at NOW!

P.S. the correct part number for a Leather wheel with audio controls is 1FS56XDVAB. Mopar List Price on this wheel is $242.00. call your dealer and see what they want for it and how long it will take them to get it.

"davep", if you want to PM me, i can probably help you out a bit with the price.

Last edited by Jeepster55; 04-11-2008 at 06:35 PM..
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #22
Jeepster55

Quote:
I've been digging through the parts database at MoparPartsAmerica.com, they list the steering wheel at $178 for gray and $241 for beige. My local dodge dealer charged me $241.
the beige wheel has a List Price of $335.00, but the Grey one is 'only' $242.00.
have no idea how Chrysler comes up with their pricing......most cases makes no sense.

anyway, my guess (since i don't have access to THAT part number at this moment) is that the $178.00 one is the STANDARD wheel which you are replacing.
Unread 04-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #23
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
So, I went to my local Jeep dealer to pick up the steering wheel... it was not only the wrong color, but also the wrong car! Somehow they ordered one from a Dodge Journey...go figure.

The parts guy took a few minutes to try and find the correct part number, even looking up a Compass VIN on the lot that had the exact steering wheel I was trying to order, but his parts program was bringing up two possible parts, with no difference in the description (I can only assume one is grey and one is beige; but the description didn't indicate which was which). He left me with a "I'll need some time to try and figure out what to order".

Anyone have the part number for the gray leather wheel?

Thanks!
Since I removed the factory system from my car, I should just sell you my steering wheel. Only problem is doing the swap. I don't use my radio buttons ..... oh well ... good luck getting the right steering wheel
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It looks like the numbers from the '07 parts book are turning to junk. Jeepster55 has better access to current listings.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #25
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
It looks like the numbers from the '07 parts book are turning to junk. Jeepster55 has better access to current listings.
Unread 04-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #26
davep
2007 MK Compass 

I finally got the (correct) leather steering wheel; I might've mentioned earlier that my Dad works at my local Jeep dealer, so I get parts at cost(ish?). Ended up paying $174 for the wheel; but it was the wheel itself, not the back cover (where the radio control buttons would be). My current "Steering wheel back" has the cruise control cut-out, but no button cut-outs (or buttons ). I'm not one to let that stop me though!

I guess the first thing I need to do is determine if I can make my radio respond to audio controls, if they did exist (i.e. check the wiring downstream of the steering wheel). From my limited knowledge of electronics, it sounds like I might be able to buy a cocktail of resistors at radio shack to simulate one of the button presses.. any electronics gurus out there who might be able to assist in rigging something up? (We're talking like.. buy 4 1K ohm resistors, connect them in a series and stick it into the first two pins of the steering wheel plug... that kinda deal)

Woot! Adventures in automotive electronics hacking.

Also, Rob - there are adapters that will connect to the Chrysler steering wheel audio controls for aftermarket radios, you might want to look for one!
davep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
Jeepster55

Quote:
I guess the first thing I need to do is determine if I can make my radio respond to audio controls, if they did exist (i.e. check the wiring downstream of the steering wheel). From my limited knowledge of electronics, it sounds like I might be able to buy a cocktail of resistors at radio shack to simulate one of the button presses.. any electronics gurus out there who might be able to assist in rigging something up? (We're talking like.. buy 4 1K ohm resistors, connect them in a series and stick it into the first two pins of the steering wheel plug... that kinda deal)
......good luck with THAT!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.