Steering Wheel Audio Controls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 04-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Steering Wheel Audio Controls

I ordered the leather steering wheel for my Compass Sport, which should arrive in the next week or so. The parts guy said that all of the leather wheels have the audio control built in. He also said something like "if your car has the wiring, we can hook it up, otherwise they won't work".

So, my question is... Does anyone know how the steering wheel audio connects to the car? If my car doesn't have the harness, wouldn't that be something I could add?

Thanks!

-Dave

davep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We covered some of that when Jeepster55 was doing his cruise control and putting in the leather steering wheel. I'll have to look around for it later.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep View Post
..So, my question is... Does anyone know how the steering wheel audio connects to the car? If my car doesn't have the harness, wouldn't that be something I could add?

It connects through the SCM (steering wheel control module) and communicates for the LIN (local interconnect network). My guess is that there are different SCM units- one for with steering wheel controls and one without- you will need to check with your parts guy about this.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
We covered some of that when Jeepster55 was doing his cruise control and putting in the leather steering wheel. I'll have to look around for it later.

You pushed me in the right direction, found the thread you were talking about: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/speed-cruise-control-installation-452477/

My car has factory cruise, but I'm not sure if that gets me any closer to connecting the steering wheel radio controls. It looks like Jeepster55 left it non-functional. I'll pull the steering column cover off tonight and look around, comparing with the diagram you posted. Not sure if my nickpickedness will let me sleep at night with non-functional buttons in my car!

-Dave
Unread 04-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
davep
2007 MK Compass 

So, based on the diagrams from the cruise control thread, my C2 plug behind the steering wheel has a Grey/White wire connected, which should be the radio control line. However, the C5 plug inside the steering wheel is missing the grey wire on pin 1.

Sooooo... How do I track down the part number for the inner steering wheel wire harness that has radio controls?

Thanks!!
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

All I could find in the Parts Book was the CODE for the steering wheel audio controls, RDZ. You'll have to go threw the dealer to get one, may be best to have them look it up.
audio-steering.jpg  

Unread 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
All I could find in the Parts Book was the CODE for the steering wheel audio controls, RDZ. You'll have to go threw the dealer to get one, may be best to have them look it up.
Thanks for checking sir! I'll pick their brain (or computer I guess) when I pick up the wheel.

The info you've posted saved me $100 on installation. After looking at the diagrams, I was able to easily remove (and soon replace) the steering wheel. Thanks again!
Unread 04-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

How much did the leather steering wheel cost? Sounds like a great mod!
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

For more info go here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452477. Post 40 has some prices.

Unread 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

Damn I just did it... asked rather than using the search! I apologize! I guess now I am "that guy"
Unread 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

Sorry gramps but that thread is for the speed control kit and its individual parts... not the steering wheel audio controls So I just lucked out and am not truly "that guy"
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
merlinTec

Hi
You may need to get sale code RDZP (steering wheel mounted audio ctrls) added to your vehicle build on dealer connect and then vehicle configuration down loaded and then load to you jeep. Don’t think there is an option in the radio to add the controls I will try to have a look tomorrow. I would expect something has to be done and it’s not just plug and play because I would expect error codes on units without the control for open circuits.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
davep
2007 MK Compass 

I've been digging through the parts database at MoparPartsAmerica.com, they list the steering wheel at $178 for gray and $241 for beige. My local dodge dealer charged me $241.

Browsing through the online database on that site seems to pull up all sorts of inconsistant pricing, and the part description is vague sometimes, which is why I just went through my local dealer, so I'd be sure to get the right part. The switches for the steering wheel look to be about $11 each; not sure if they are part of the steering wheel assembly or if they have to be purchased seperately... My guess is I'll be out more than just the price of the wheel to get audio controls functional.

- Dave

Last edited by davep; 04-10-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: lol, I guess f o r k i n g is a bad word?
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
I would expect something has to be done and it’s not just plug and play because I would expect error codes on units without the control for open circuits.
maybe not, all the audio controls are is a two wire circuit with a resister network that gives different values depending on whats pressed, when no controls are pressed its an open circuit. so no controls = controls with no buttons pressed.

edit: check step 6 below, it says open circuit with no buttons pressed. so the CCN shouldnt give an error even if it expects audio controls and theyre not there because in both cases they are normally an open circuit. IE if theyre not present its on open circuit because theyre not there and if they are there and nothings pressed, its again an open circuit.. it leads me to believe that the CCN will always monitor for the controls regardless of whether it came from the factory with them or not. just guessing though.

Quote:
3. Use an ohmmeter to check the switch resistance as shown in the Remote Radio Switch Test table
REMOTE RADIO SWITCH TEST Switch
Switch Position
Resistance

Right (White)
Volume Up
1.210 Kilohms

Right (White)
Volume Down
3.010 Kilohms

Right (White)
Mode Advance
0.0511 Kilohms

Left (Black)
Seek Up
0.261 Kilohms

Left (Black)
Seek Down
0.681 Kilohms

Left (Black)
Pre-Set Station Advance
0.162 Kilohms

NOTE: The right remote radio switch back is white in color. The left switch back is black in color. The right/left remote radio switch orientation is with the steering wheel installed, and driver in driver's seat.

4. If the switch resistance checks OK, go to STEP 5. If not OK, replace the faulty switch.
5. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the switch wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to STEP 6. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.
6. Unplug the connector from the Cab Compartment Node (CCN). Check for continuity between the radio control circuit cavity of the remote radio switch wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to STEP 7. If not OK, repair the short circuit as required.
7. Check for continuity between the radio control circuit cavities of the remote radio switch wire harness connector and the CCN wire harness connector. There should be continuity. If OK, refer to the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual to test the CCN and the CAN data bus. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.

Last edited by CharBroiled; 04-10-2008 at 03:49 PM..
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
davep
2007 MK Compass 

That makes a lot of sense how the 6 buttons on the steering wheel can only use one wire and the ground shared with the horn. Thanks for the info CharBroiled!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.