Steel Wheels and Snow Tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Steel Wheels and Snow Tires?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

Steel Wheels and Snow Tires?

I like my compass overall. I'm planning on putting on some steel wheels (cheap) and good snow tires (tall and narrow) for the winter.
I've had experience with wheels and offset is inportant.

Is the Compass wheel requirements 4.5" bolt pattern?
Bore diameter? Guess the tire shop would know.
Offset? did a measurement with a tape measure. Looks about 1" positive but have to know for sure. Where could I find out?

Thinking 8" wheels X 16 with 75 or 80 series 195 or 205mm
Continental has a 195 80 15" snow tire. Maybe too small.
Crager 8 hole wheels are in the budget. Hey, I did buy a economy car!

ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

ponderosa,
Kev M is looking in the same area. He started the thread under "Tire Pressure Monitoring System" elsewhere under Compass.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/tire-pressure-monitoring-system-question-303655/
Did you get the Monitoring system on yours"? That could complicate things a little. Let us know what works.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

No pressure monitoring system

I did not get any options on my Limited except the smoker package. Girlfriend likes the lighter. I loved the seats and Auto Stick. It drives great on back roads.

The Tire Rack shows 100+ wheels for the compass. I'm concerned about the offset. I can take my wheel off and use a straight edge and measure from the hub mounting surface to the outer edge. Then edge to edge and do the math.

Belle Tire here in Michigan is a quality outfit. I'll see what they suggest.
ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
Kozmotoo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wheel Offset and Max O.D.

The wheel offset is somewhere between 38 and 42mm (I can't recall which wheel got what offset). The maximum tire OD is the 215/65R17 (28.0"/711mm).

Reducing the factory offset (wheel going out) while increasing the tire OD are both directionally wrong for clearing the front fender lip. You'd run the risk of body damage in the event of an extreme jounce+full turn condition. Not common, but certainly possible.
Kozmotoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

so then 235/65/17 would be to wide?
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Kozmotoo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Too wide?

An OEM would certainly tell you yes, but they factor in all the worst case, yet reasonable maneuvers; like 90% jounce (well into the jounce bumper), full outer turn, 80% bushing compliance, grown tire, with body and chassis build tolerance going in the worst-case direction...

Despite that kind of conservatism, I agree with their stance. I wouldn't use a wider tire. I'm not even sure that's an advantage when it comes to snow and ice traction.

Just realized this: That would be much too large in the OD also! A full inch larger OD. That, combined with the width and the same offset would certainly cause tire-to-body contact.

This doesn't even address the tire pressure monitoring system thread (that's been already mentioned in this thread).
Unread 12-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Kozmotoo
I just wanted to say "Thanks" for your input on these tire topic! You certainly seem to know what you're talking about and I, for one, appreciate the straight forward information

Your profile says that you have a Patriot Are they really out or is yours on order? Either way, happy to have you around

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Kozmotoo
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a Patriot Limited AWD on order. I expect it no later than (late) March.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.