Squeak in the lift gate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Squeak in the lift gate

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Grhome
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Squeak in the lift gate

Does anyone have the info/instructions on how to properly remove the plastic panels from the lift gate on a 08 Patriot? I have a very annoying squeak that happens with every little bump or dip in the road. I believe I've isolated to under the plastic panel. I just don't want to break anything or force anything. Thanks!

Grhome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

These are the interior panels, I assume? Sorry but I haven't loaded the FSM on my new computer yet but I've had this problem and fixed it several times.

There are 2 bolts on the lower passenger side - remove those first. Then if you have the deluxe sound system you need to drop the speakers down and remove the 4 screws back there. From there, get your favorite trim tool, plastic spatchula or if you have a strong enough grip, just your hands and pull the panels off. Start at the top around the window first and then work your way down to the lower panel. There is a wiring connector back there, just unplug it. I have found that the metal clips that hook on to the hatch panel sometimes slide out of position and cause the squeak that you are talking about, caused by slamming the hatch. The last time that I fixed this I used some silicone to help glue them in to place, that was a few years back I'm happy to say!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Grhome
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Gramps. I was referring to the inside panel just as you assumed. I don't have the speakers in the back. Glad know others have had the same squeak issue that I've got. It's driving me crazy.
Grhome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You're welcome. That squeak (chirp) drove me crazy too! It took me a long time to pin point where it was coming from. I had the side panels and rear seat pulled out to try and find it. Finally I had my Grandson ride in the back and apply pressure to everything and once he found it I was able to take care of it.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.