Speed / Cruise Control Installation - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Speed / Cruise Control Installation

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #61
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Cheers Merlin! I merged the threads.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #62
scotty1980

It helps a little, but i still don't understand how i can tell if the wiring is already installed. Do i have to take the wheel off to see? It sounds like its installed on most everybodys patriot/compass.
scotty1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #63
merlinTec

Hi
Just remove the cover around the steering and look at connection C2 as posted by Gramps on page 2. look for the speed control wires in pin 4,5 and 6 if you have them it an easy job.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #64
Jeepster55

i don't know if this has already been posted, but if so, then 'MY BAD'.

the Compass CC kit and the Patriot CC kit are TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT kits. makes no sense to me, since they are both MK's, but who knows.

my Compass kit consisted of only 3 parts and was a simple 'plug and play'. the Patriot kit, according to the EPC pic, seems to be a bit more complicated with many more parts.

just thought you might like to know.......
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #65
ggbb415

Hi,

I am installing one by on my compass. I couldn't pull the steering wheel off last time so I put everything back in. I borrowed a steering wheel puller from ad autoparts but it is the kind with the bolts, and it doesn't seem to be the right one to use. Those of you who have done it: did you use a puller with the hooks to hook up the two holes on each side of the retaining bolt? I think everything will be easy as soon as I get the wheel off....
ggbb415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #66
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbb415 View Post
Hi,

I am installing one by on my compass. I couldn't pull the steering wheel off last time so I put everything back in. I borrowed a steering wheel puller from ad autoparts but it is the kind with the bolts, and it doesn't seem to be the right one to use. Those of you who have done it: did you use a puller with the hooks to hook up the two holes on each side of the retaining bolt? I think everything will be easy as soon as I get the wheel off....
didn't USE a puller. once i removed the air bag, i removed the nut, marked the wheel and the shaft so that i can line it up later, and then just simply pulled on the wheel until it came off. that was it.
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #67
ggbb415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
didn't USE a puller. once i removed the air bag, i removed the nut, marked the wheel and the shaft so that i can line it up later, and then just simply pulled on the wheel until it came off. that was it.
The wheel will come off for half an inch and it stopped there. Even using a puller wouldn't pull it off (the puller started to wear out so I stopped). Why is that??
Unread 05-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #68
ggbb415

I finally got the steering wheel off and installed it. It works perfect.

I pulled the wheel off by using a steering wheel puller with the "GM steering wheel puller legs" (part# 3510). I think I will never pull the wheel off by myself. It seems to be really tight, and even the puller itself is worn out after I pulled the wheel. I suggest NOT to put the retaining nut back in the hole for puller to stand on, because that may destroy the thread. I used the piece of metal came with the puller legs.

The information on the forum really helped a lot. Thanks much for sharing your experiences.
Unread 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #69
ajkst1
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
first, let me answer the previous question that i said i would;

Mopar Speed Control Kit....List Price $225.00 Dealer Cost $169.00

NOW, for the really GREAT NEWS!!! (if you haven't already purchased a kit)

the kit consists of 3 parts

switch......................PN 4671929AA which has a List Price of $17.95
wire harness....................PN 68036592AA with a List Price of $65.75
steering wheel cover...PN 1EB85XDVAB (GRAY) or
PN 1EB84DK7AB (Beige)...........................with a List price of $65.95

this is all that is in the kit ( i have verified this with my own 4 eyes)

as you can see, even if you pay LIST PRICE, when you purchase these parts separately, your total is 'only' $149.65, a saving of over $75.00!!!!

note: part of the savings is that with the kit you get BOTH the gray and beige steering wheel covers, but who needs BOTH? just buy those parts and make your own kit.....that's what I'M DOING!!!!!

GO FORTH WITH YOUR INSTALL AND SAVE $$

P.S. also, the PN for the wiring harness is updated and is the same harness as used on the Limited models with Remote Radio Control. with this harness, i 'believe' that the radio controls will work when i install the Leather wheel as i have planned.

NOTE: the kit does supply you with 2 screws to mount the CC switch into the wheel. you can pick these up at any hardware store for less than a $1. installing mine on 1/7/08
Do you know what size those screws/bolts (and any associated nuts) were? I'm looking to do this install and want to have everything ready to go when I do the install.
ajkst1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #70
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Jeepster hasn't been around for a while. If you go here and download the parts book from the link in the 3rd post it will tell you just about all the nuts and bolts used.

Unread 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #71
ajkst1
2007 MK Compass 

Gramps,
I found the kit in the parts book, but it lists "SCREW" without any sizes. It does share a part number with the switch, so I'm guessing it comes with it. Also, the speed control kit for the Compass (the '07 at least) only needs 3 of the 8 parts listed in the parts book.

Current Prices (as of 1/2/09) for the 3 parts you need for an 07 Compass are:
Switch PN# 4671929AB $18.85
Cover PN# 1EB85XDVAB $69.05 (Grey) (Beige: 1EB84DK7AB $69.05)
Wiring PN# 68000462AB $63.65

Total: $151.55
Kit: $231.00

The kit includes both covers (why? who knows.) leading to the $70 difference between buying the parts seperately and buying them as a kit. Thanks Gramps for the parts book link!

Last edited by ajkst1; 01-02-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Added prices
Unread 01-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #72
ajkst1
2007 MK Compass 

Well, I purchased the switch, cover, and wiring harness seperately. It turns out that the cover doesn't have the pre-cut hole anymore unless you purchase the kit. So I'm going to cut the hole in the cover myself and save another $70.

Funny how things work out.
Unread 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #73
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just ordered the parts needed for my 08 Compass to install cruise. Just to open the thread back up for those who need it, the part numbers and prices are below (ordered from Mopar Parts America)

Switch----4671929AA $7.44
Harness----68000462AB $46.52
Plastic----1EB85XDVAB $49.91

Shipping: $11.43
TOTAL: $115.30
Dealer priced me $250 something
Unread 01-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #74
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You are the busy one! Do you have a heated shop? It's only 14 degress there, about like here, and I'm freezing my ears off!

Unread 01-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #75
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

oh yea, it's cold here. I have parts piling up and nowhere to put them on, lol. I may have a friend willing to let me use his garage. I'm just getting my parts in so I can spend a whole weekend working on my ride

Tags
clock spring , clockspring , compass , cruise control , patriot , speed control , steering wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.