Speed / Cruise Control Installation - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Speed / Cruise Control Installation

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #31
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

See previous thread for Steering Wheel Removal.

ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/DRIVER AIRBAG - REMOVAL

WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, occupant classification system, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury when removing a deployed airbag, rubber gloves, eye protection, and a long-sleeved shirt should be worn. There may be deposits on the airbag cushion and other interior surfaces. In large doses, these deposits may cause irritation to the skin and eyes.

NOTE: The following procedure is also for replacement of an ineffective or damaged driver airbag. If the airbag is ineffective or damaged, but not deployed, review the recommended procedures for handling non-deployed supplemental restraints. If the driver airbag has been deployed, review the recommended procedures for service after a supplemental restraint deployment before removing the airbag from the vehicle. (Let me know if you need these instructions)

Fig1A
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.

2. From the side of the steering wheel (1) hub trim cover, remove the two screws (2) that secure the driver airbag to the horn switch within the hub of the steering wheel.

Fig2A
3. Pull the driver airbag (2) away from the steering wheel far enough to access the electrical connections (1) at the back of the airbag housing.

CAUTION: Do not pull on the clockspring pigtail wires or pry on the connector insulator to disengage the connector from the driver airbag inflator connector receptacle. Improper removal of these pigtail wires and their connector insulators can result in damage to the airbag circuits or the connector insulators.

4. The clockspring driver airbag pigtail wire connectors are secured by an integral lock to the airbag inflator connector receptacles, which are located on the back of the driver airbag housing. Firmly grasp and pull the lock straight out from the connector insulator, then pull the insulators straight out from the airbag inflator to disconnect them from the connector receptacles.

5. Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.

6. If the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced.

fig1a.jpg   fig2a.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #32
earlage

Thanks gramps! Are you sure you have to use a steering wheel pulller thogh? It seems as if it starts to come off but then it hits a clip or something and stops. The hub is loose and it comes out about a half an inch and then stops solid. I dont want to break anything using a puller.
earlage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #33
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlage
Thanks gramps! Are you sure you have to use a steering wheel pulller thogh? It seems as if it starts to come off but then it hits a clip or something and stops. The hub is loose and it comes out about a half an inch and then stops solid. I dont want to break anything using a puller.
I don't blame you for not wanting to break anything. This info is right out of the Service Manual, I haven't pulled one of these personally. All of the OLDER ones that I've done definitely required a puller.

Merlin has had a "hands on" in doing these and I feel sure that he'll look in tomorrow and let us know if it's needed.

Unread 12-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #34
earlage

When you say OLDER, do you mean 07's?
Unread 12-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #35
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Older; as in 1930 - 1988. It is the '07 MK Service Manual but I would be surprised if anything like that changed in '08.

Unread 12-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #36
earlage

Thanks for all your help gramps! Ill give it a try tomorrow.
Unread 12-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #37
merlinTec

HI
A little confused as you have said you have got it half way. Like Gramps I have always used a puller. Check the clock spring is not coming up with the wheel (don’t want that coming apart) as it maybe that that’s holding it.
Sorry just got up and had a lot to drink last night lol. Have another look if you still can’t see I’ll pull one off at work tomorrow but I think you will find it is the clock spring, if the hub is loose on the shaft that’s all it could be.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #38
earlage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
HI
A little confused as you have said you have got it half way. Like Gramps I have always used a puller. Check the clock spring is not coming up with the wheel (donít want that coming apart) as it maybe that thatís holding it.
Sorry just got up and had a lot to drink last night lol. Have another look if you still canít see Iíll pull one off at work tomorrow but I think you will find it is the clock spring, if the hub is loose on the shaft thatís all it could be.
Regards,
Merlin
Thanks! That really helps. So just to be sure, your hub is not connected to your steering wheel? When I go to take it off it is all sliding as one unit, hub and all. I think thats is why its catching. Thanks again for the help!
Unread 12-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #39
merlinTec

HI
That’s correct the clock spring shouldn’t come off with the wheel. If I remember correctly the clock spring does clips into the steering wheel and you can see this when you remove the air bag and you just need to release the clips.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #40
Jeepster55

Read This Before Buying A Mopar Cc Kit!!!

first, let me answer the previous question that i said i would;

Mopar Speed Control Kit....List Price $225.00 Dealer Cost $169.00

NOW, for the really GREAT NEWS!!! (if you haven't already purchased a kit)

the kit consists of 3 parts

switch......................PN 4671929AA which has a List Price of $17.95
wire harness....................PN 68036592AA with a List Price of $65.75
steering wheel cover...PN 1EB85XDVAB (GRAY) or
PN 1EB84DK7AB (Beige)...........................with a List price of $65.95

this is all that is in the kit ( i have verified this with my own 4 eyes)

as you can see, even if you pay LIST PRICE, when you purchase these parts separately, your total is 'only' $149.65, a saving of over $75.00!!!!

note: part of the savings is that with the kit you get BOTH the gray and beige steering wheel covers, but who needs BOTH? just buy those parts and make your own kit.....that's what I'M DOING!!!!!

GO FORTH WITH YOUR INSTALL AND SAVE $$

P.S. also, the PN for the wiring harness is updated and is the same harness as used on the Limited models with Remote Radio Control. with this harness, i 'believe' that the radio controls will work when i install the Leather wheel as i have planned.

NOTE: the kit does supply you with 2 screws to mount the CC switch into the wheel. you can pick these up at any hardware store for less than a $1. installing mine on 1/7/08

Last edited by Jeepster55; 01-06-2008 at 12:10 PM..
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 01:44 AM   #41
earlage

Quote:
HI
Thatís correct the clock spring shouldnít come off with the wheel. If I remember correctly the clock spring does clips into the steering wheel and you can see this when you remove the air bag and you just need to release the clips.
Regards,
Merlin

Thanks for all your help Merlin! I will take another look this weekend and try to locate those clips.
Unread 12-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #42
merlinTec

Hi earlage
I took the air bag off a patriot today just to have a look and it’s not the type I was thinking, can’t see the clock would stop it. didn’t have time to take the wheel off and it was a customers car not a sales one so just wanted to have a look. Will try and get another one in and get the wheel off.
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #43
earlage

Quote:
Hi earlage
I took the air bag off a patriot today just to have a look and itís not the type I was thinking, canít see the clock would stop it. didnít have time to take the wheel off and it was a customers car not a sales one so just wanted to have a look. Will try and get another one in and get the wheel off.
Thanks again! Looking forward to the update!
Unread 12-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #44
99bluewrangler

my wife and i recently purchased an 07 that didn't come with cruise. I can't believe they even make automatics w/out cruise. A $12000 dollar kia comes standard with cruise. Anyway, I was wondering if I bought the cruise and installed it, will it void the WARRANTY, or will it have no effect on the warranty.
99bluewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #45
earlage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99bluewrangler
my wife and i recently purchased an 07 that didn't come with cruise. I can't believe they even make automatics w/out cruise. A $12000 dollar kia comes standard with cruise. Anyway, I was wondering if I bought the cruise and installed it, will it void the WARRANTY, or will it have no effect on the warranty.
It depends on the warranty. The standard warranty will only be voided if you do something to the car that in turn causes it to break. Example, your installing a stereo and you cut through a bunch of wires, that will void it. I have a separate warranty that covers me for 36000 miles or 3 years and I called them and asked them what the terms and conditions were if I installed cruise control. They have the same policy. I would call and ask just to be sure! Hope this helps!

Tags
clock spring , clockspring , compass , cruise control , patriot , speed control , steering wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.