Speed / Cruise Control Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Speed / Cruise Control Installation

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Speed / Cruise Control Installation

Anybody install one of these units?

http://www.justforjeeps.com/speedcontrol3.html

I have installed many car stereos, amps, speakers, and accessories since I was a kid, but I have never taken apart a steering wheel before, and blowing the air bag does kind of scare me.

I would like to get some idea of the difficulty involved for the entire install. I have read that some jeeps are pre-wired for speed control and some are not. Anyone know how to tell on a Compass?

The dealer wanted $495 for parts and labor, but I would rather put that $300 to better use and save a trip to the dealer.

soycap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
stevns31

cruise

hey i bought mine from dealer it came with instructions
just unhook neg battery cable
there is two bolts on each side of stering wheel remove them and the air bag will come out then there is one bolt and steering wheel comes out
the rest is simple
just follow the step by step instructions
it took me 15 min and was real easy saved me 250 dollars
the dealer lied and told me i would have to reprogram the computer '''''''wrong just plug it up and works great
stevns31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
Fitted a unit to a 06 PT 2.4 one of the easiest jobs to do.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Awsome! I actually ordered mine last week. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Unread 08-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Done. It was super easy and the instructions were very easy to follow.

I have not been here 30 days yet and cannot post pictures in the forum, so I have posted pics here:

http://www.boodaw.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2416
Unread 08-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
BuzzDog

I laugh at how easy it is to install cruise control these days. Unlike the days when speedometers used mechanical drives, it seems as though all of today's vehicles have electronic speed sensors that are integrated into many functions. It also looks as though manufacturers have moved toward "universal" wiring harnesses that have connections for every possible option, as well as modular ones that you can "plug into."

Adding cruise used to be a REAL pain...you had to add magnets and a sensor to a driveshaft (which measured revolutions), AND gizmo that used a chain/cable to tug or release the throttle (which controlled your speed). And a wire to the power supply, and a wire to the ground, and a wire to the switch, and a wire to the speed controller, and a wire to the speed sensor...and, well, you get the idea.

Gramps may remember this, as well...in the "good old days," it wasn't nearly as simple. For example, to get a new, reproduction wiring harness for my vintage car, you have to know body style, as well as whether it had turn signals, heater, radio, etc. You see, you didn't get certain wires on the harness if you didn't order a particular item! Guess the manufacturers finally figured out it's less expensive to have one harness and to let the wires just sit there if they're not used. On top of that, it seems like many vehicles now use a bus that allows one wire to carry the signals and power for multiple items.

I, for one, do not always long for "the good old days!" Great to know that your installation went well...congratulations!
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

Heres a pic for those interested!

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_co...7373C5270.aspx
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Glad to hear that it went well for you! Not like the HID's.

BuzzDog,
Go back to even earlier, Ford Model A, throttle lever on the column, just opposite of the spark advance. A brick on the gas pedal worked too. Although hitting the brakes didn't disengage those. Ya, the good old days.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Jeepster55

Adding Cruise to Your "MK"?

has anyone, or is anyone thinking about, adding the Mopar Accessory Speed Control Kit to their Compass or Patriot? i have the "D" Package Compass (no power accessories, no CC) and this is one option i would like to have. well, that and the Leather Steering Wheel.

after checking, the contents of the kit are as follows; Switch, steering wheel harness (for inside the wheel), 2 screws and a new cover for the back of the steering wheel. apparently the vehicle is already 'pre-wired' and uses the same clockspring. a tech at work told me that he just has to pull the wheel, install the switch, wires and new back cover and reinstall the wheel. book shows only .4hr to do this. then the vehicle has to be reprogramed and the tech goes online to Mopars DealerConnect to 'add' the option into their system. seems simple enough.....

this is what i'm doing, BUT with a twist. i'm also replacing the steering wheel (since it has to come off anyway) with the Leather Wheel. but that one has holes in it on the back side of the wheel for remote radio controls. so here's MY QUESTION....

does anyone know 'if' i switch wheels and add the radio controls, if they will ACTUALLY WORK with my radio? any additional programming to be done by the tech? just thought i would try to get a 'heads up' on this before i present it to my tech at work.

anyone??????
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Not sure if this should be with the Cruise Control thread or in one of the many audio threads. Let's try here and maybe Merlin can help?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Jeepster55

thanks....we'll see!

after reading some of these posts, i'll be fine doing it myself. maybe i'll even get lucky and the remote radio controls will work, ya think?
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
merlinTec

Hi
You may need a new steering control module but first I would check the wiring is there for the radio control at plug C2 of the steering control module.
1 X20 20GY/WT RADIO CONTROL MUX
2 Y13 20DG/RD RADIO CONTROL RETURN
3 X3 20DG/VT HORN SWITCH SENSE
4 V72 20OR/VT S/C SIGNAL 2
5 V937 20VT/LG S/C SWITCH GROUND
6 V71 20VT/OR S/C SIGNAL 1
This goes though the module to plug C5 behind the air bag
1 X20 20GY RADIO CONTROL MUX
2 Y13 20BK RADIO CONTROL RETURN
3 X3 20DB HORN SWITCH SENSE
4 V72 20PK S/C SIGNAL 2
5 V71 20VT S/C SIGNAL 1
6 V937 20YL S/C SWITCH GROUND
I am sure it would be just plug and play just like the CC and you don’t have to go onto dealer connect to turn on CC if it doesn’t come on straight away hold the brake on then press and hold the CC on switch.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 12-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog

Adding cruise used to be a REAL pain...you had to add magnets and a sensor to a driveshaft (which measured revolutions), AND gizmo that used a chain/cable to tug or release the throttle (which controlled your speed). And a wire to the power supply, and a wire to the ground, and a wire to the switch, and a wire to the speed controller, and a wire to the speed sensor...and, well, you get the idea.

yeah I put one in a 70 dodge dart back in the day, mine was vacuum operated though.. magnets, pickup, brake cut out switch, vacuum tie in, throttle linkage tie in, mount the stalk, vacuum motor, wire it all up.. etc yup the good ole days heh

glad it went well.

seems a lot of add on car stuff is kinda plug and play now.
Unread 12-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBroiled
yeah I put one in a 70 dodge dart back in the day, mine was vacuum operated though.. magnets, pickup, brake cut out switch, vacuum tie in, throttle linkage tie in, mount the stalk, vacuum motor, wire it all up.. etc yup the good ole days heh

glad it went well.

seems a lot of add on car stuff is kinda plug and play now.
HA HA...my first car? 70 Dodge Dart Swinger..of course, NO CRUISE but then again i was a kid. what the he!! did i need CC for anyway?! ok, enough memory lane.....gotta plan my CC install. first, i had better ORDER my kit, huh?

THANKS!
Unread 12-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
Jeepster55

oh, and thanks Merlin......i'll check it out. if it doesn't work, eh, so what. at least i have the CC and my Leather Wheel.....i REALLY like the feel of leather. makes me want to ....oh, sorry. that's another forum all together!

Tags
clock spring , clockspring , compass , cruise control , patriot , speed control , steering wheel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.