Speakers in hatch and a lot of dynamat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Speakers in hatch and a lot of dynamat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Speakers in hatch and a lot of dynamat

By auto manufacturer standards I would count this as a 20 speaker system.
2 tweeters in the dash, 2 sets of 3-way 6X9's and 1 pair of 6.5" co-axial in the hatch, and 2 10" subwoofers All Polk Audio, except for the subs which are kickers.

Hatch closed:

Hatch open:

Now when I the hatch and sit there to get dressed for a ride, I can have good tunes. It actually added to the sound in the rear, quite a bit.

'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Wow- you did this fast. So you gave up on the side panels and went for the hatch- I had thought about suggesting this, but feared that the hatch location would just rattle something terrible. Great Job!

Where and how much Dynamat was used? I have been thinking about using Dynamat on the entire spare tire well and over the area just before the rear seat to try to quite the noise- over some road services it can get a pretty good roar back there.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
Wow- you did this fast. So you gave up on the side panels and went for the hatch- I had thought about suggesting this, but feared that the hatch location would just rattle something terrible. Great Job!

Where and how much Dynamat was used? I have been thinking about using Dynamat on the entire spare tire well and over the area just before the rear seat to try to quite the noise- over some road services it can get a pretty good roar back there.
THANKS!!! -

I pretty much put Dynamat all over the metal under the plastic and anywhere I could get my hand on the outer skin of the hatch. I probalby used maybe 1.5 sheets of a bulk pack. No rattles and the lift is pretty heavy now. If you tap on the outside with your hand, it is solid. I am gonna do the doors, the top, and the entire inside of the cargo area with what I still have left. It's gonna be one solid Compass.

K&N Intake will be here Tuesday and installed either that night or Wednesday. Only thing left is the lift kit and some bigger tires Until I find something else to do to it
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Unread 04-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
BrandoAZ

Why did you choose to put the speakers so close to the bottom edge? Would they not fit closer to center? Or did you just not like them there?
BrandoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandoAZ View Post
Why did you choose to put the speakers so close to the bottom edge? Would they not fit closer to center? Or did you just not like them there?
Magnet depth and I kinda liked them there better. I probably should have went up a little bit higher, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome

Unread 04-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

I am curious as to why you mounted them so low in the hatch... why not center them?
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
I am curious as to why you mounted them so low in the hatch... why not center them?
The main reason was magnet depth and cutting of the metal in the hatch. Also support for the speakers was a consideration. I am considering painting the grills black, I think that would make them look less noticebale.

Unread 04-02-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
BrandoAZ

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Is there an echo in here?
BrandoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Is there an echo in here?
Yeah, caused by all those speakers Rob put in

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
Yeah, caused by all those speakers Rob put in
That's funny right there ... I don't care who ya are.

Unread 04-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We're also going to start typing louder for you too.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.