spark plugs - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > spark plugs

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #31
SimmZ
2010 MK Compass 

Well... If you don't use a torque wrench to control actual pressure, how do you tight the spark plug? Just as you feel it (approximately)?

In fact I think using a torque wrench is not a big deal if it can prevent any over or under tight issues... no?

I must say I always use the torque wrench in most circumstance... like when I replace intake manifold gasket last month on my Toyota... it's sure than the bolt pressures is not a big concern in this specific situation, but the torque specs was in the service manual, so why don't use it? ;-)

Unread 04-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #32
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I just did this a few days ago. Use the NGK V Power. I bought the Mopar ones from the dealer and they are the NGK V Power.

They also gave me a print out of the service manual which also specified 20 Ft Lb of torque.

Dont get the Platinum ones. They are only higher performance if you're ignition system is designed to work with them...which it isn't.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
SimmZ
2010 MK Compass 

Thank you for the information. Anyway I'm having a visit to the dealership tomorrow morning so they will re-re-re-confirm the 20 lb-ft torque theory! LOL

I'm gonna stick to the V-Power so. They are 6.99$ (for a box of 2) at Canadian Tire... the only problem is that they ran out of stock when I went to the nearest store this morning. However there is another Canadian Tire store not too far away and have them in stock.
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #34
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
In over 50 years of working on cars I've never seen anybody use a torque wrench on spark plugs but here's the spec.

1. To avoid cross threading, start the spark plug into the cylinder head by hand.
2. Tighten spark plugs to 17.5 ±2 N·m (13 ±2 ft. lbs.).
These specs are right out of the service manual so do what ever you FEEL like...

Spark plugs have a compression washer on them and give you some flexibility and a 'feel' for when they are tight enough.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #35
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps

These specs are right out of the service manual so do what ever you FEEL like...

Spark plugs have a compression washer on them and give you some flexibility and a 'feel' for when they are tight enough.
Then where did the 20 ft lb come from?
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #36
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Ask those that told you, not me! I can't stand behind information that others have given you. Other than Spark plugs having a collapsible compression washer that can vary in strength I haven't a clue. It's your Jeep, be as anal as you want but

Unread 04-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #37
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

They didnt tell me they showed me. Via printout supposedly from the service manual. So which is it?
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #38
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Mine is from the '07 FSM. If they changed the specs that isn't in my control.

Unread 05-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
JGCGEORGE
2013 MK Patriot 

Personally I am a fan of iridium plugs. I have only had one problem with platinum plugs. I put Champion platinums in my 07 Grand cherokee (wk) 5.7 hemi and they caused it to randomly stall. Found this was the cause since eventually Chrysler was contacted and the engineers spoken too. One of the times I was pulling 6k on a flat bed trailer down hill on the highway, it stalled and then since the key was on and the converter locked, started itself again with a bang and I nearly lost control. So, if you have a hemi don't use platinum plugs, lol.
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #40
firehazard51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post

I just went off the instruction box for my Champion spark plugs. Called for a half turn since it had a compression washer. Ended up with a very snug feeling that I wouldn't want to put any more torque on.
firehazard51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.