Some Questions - Considering Purchase of Compass/Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Some Questions - Considering Purchase of Compass/Patriot

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 11-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
ScottRempel

Some Questions - Considering Purchase of Compass/Patriot

Hello everyone,

The wife and I have been considering finally trading in the ol' '97 Dodge Neon (DOHC) on a new(er) vehicle. Our other car is an '02 300M so we are thinking it would be nice to have something with AWD/4WD, especially considering where we live. The other vehicle in consideration was a Caliber, but we are really leaning towards something with 4WD.

We still need to go down to the dealership and do some test driving, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the Patriot while the wife is leaning towards the Compass...I like the classic Jeep look while she likes the more rounded design of the Compass.

That aside, I was hoping to get some owners opinions on a few things:

1) Stick or CVT? Somewhat leaning towards the stick just because of the things I've heard about these new CVTs. How is the CVT in the Pat/Comp? I know some cars with CVT tend to sound a bit funny.

2) Any options you would consider a must or must not? Obviously we want the 4WD, and if we go stick there will be no FD2. I'm thinking we'd end up with one of the North models (Canadian only I believe), basically the model between the basic and the limited. Would probably want a trailer tow package, just so its ready.

3) Compass or Patriot? Ignoring styling, is there any advantages to one or the other. From what I know, they are basically the same vehicle.

4) I know this is a Jeep forum, but if you were going to look at other vehicles in the same category what would you consider? I thought maybe Kia or Hyundai would have a cheaper offering, but it looks like even their small SUVs are now priced higher then the Jeeps.

5) If we were to look at used vehicles, is there anything to be worried about in the '07s or '08s?

6) Might think of more questions later, but if there is anything else you want to comment on just post away...or link me to some good threads. If you live in Manitoba, have you seen any good deals or found any dealers easier to deal with?

7) Anyone want to sell me a mint condition Pat/Comp for a good price?

ScottRempel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
umopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRempel View Post
Hello everyone,

The wife and I have been considering finally trading in the ol' '97 Dodge Neon (DOHC) on a new(er) vehicle. Our other car is an '02 300M so we are thinking it would be nice to have something with AWD/4WD, especially considering where we live. The other vehicle in consideration was a Caliber, but we are really leaning towards something with 4WD.

We still need to go down to the dealership and do some test driving, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the Patriot while the wife is leaning towards the Compass...I like the classic Jeep look while she likes the more rounded design of the Compass.

1) Stick or CVT? Somewhat leaning towards the stick just because of the things I've heard about these new CVTs. How is the CVT in the Pat/Comp? I know some cars with CVT tend to sound a bit funny.

2) Any options you would consider a must or must not? Obviously we want the 4WD, and if we go stick there will be no FD2. I'm thinking we'd end up with one of the North models (Canadian only I believe), basically the model between the basic and the limited. Would probably want a trailer tow package, just so its ready.

3) Compass or Patriot? Ignoring styling, is there any advantages to one or the other. From what I know, they are basically the same vehicle.

4) I know this is a Jeep forum, but if you were going to look at other vehicles in the same category what would you consider? I thought maybe Kia or Hyundai would have a cheaper offering, but it looks like even their small SUVs are now priced higher then the Jeeps.

5) If we were to look at used vehicles, is there anything to be worried about in the '07s or '08s?

6) Might think of more questions later, but if there is anything else you want to comment on just post away...or link me to some good threads. If you live in Manitoba, have you seen any good deals or found any dealers easier to deal with?

3) they should be the same, they are based off the same platform

5) from what i hear, there is some problem with on of the nuts or something not being tightened enough, which leads to a weird problem which i have not encountered yet(i dont think)

7) come down to socal and ill sell you mine lol, its fwd but i havent driven it 7k miles in 1 year i have owned mine, its an 08 and i got it in 07
umopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRempel View Post
Hello everyone,

Hi and

Quote:

Because of the syncro problems with the 5 speed the CVT appears to be more trouble free. Hopefully it won't be a future issue since Jeep is aware of the problem. The CVT sounds funny because they work off of optimizing the gear ratio and let the engine wind out. These little 4 bangers don't make a lot of low end torque, they work off of rpm. You get used to it.

Quote:
The trailer tow package will give you some extra cooling capacity and is much cheaper to have it come from the factory than to add it later. Get the BA sound system, you won't be sorry!

Quote:
They are basically the same. The different springs and struts give each a slightly different ride and handling, not bad just different.
The Compass could be discontinued next year if that's of interest to you. It's not Jeep looking enough for some people but it seems that the average mpg is very slightly higher on the Compass maybe due to CoD but very minor.
The Patriot has had problems with a flapping hood at 60+ mph and more prone to a leaking roof. These issues may have been fixed by now.

Quote:
4) I know this is a Jeep forum, but if you were going to look at other vehicles in the same category what would you consider? I thought maybe KIA or Hyundai would have a cheaper offering, but it looks like even their small SUVs are now priced higher then the Jeeps.
I looked at the Santa Fe, Tucson, Rav 4 and many others a couple of years ago. The Compass was much less expensive with more cool stuff like ESP and all the bells and whistles than the others.

Quote:
Check out the steering and linkage thoroughly and look for roof leaks and the flapping hood on the Patriot (different hood hinges were the fix for that).

Quote:
LOVE MY COMPASS!

Quote:
Not mint, not original and not for sale!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
ScottRempel

Thanks for the replies guys...much appreciated!

However, after visiting the dealership, we have decided to go a different direction. We took a Patriot out for a drive and it seemed like a great little vehicle, but money-wise it just didn't make sense for us. Maybe if there was 0% financing it would have been possible. (note: the black '09 they had in the showroom sure was nice looking)

So, after that, I started looking at used Libertys and found that there are some good deals to be had on '02 to '05s. Not exactly the most fuel efficient vehicle, but definitely a more capable vehicle (in terms of towing, off-roading, etc.). So, right now the plan is to try and find a Liberty and then the wife can start driving my 300M most days, but take the Liberty when the road conditions call for it. I work in town so the mileage won't hurt me as much.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
ScottRempel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.