The wife and I have been considering finally trading in the ol' '97 Dodge Neon (DOHC) on a new(er) vehicle. Our other car is an '02 300M so we are thinking it would be nice to have something with AWD/4WD, especially considering where we live. The other vehicle in consideration was a Caliber, but we are really leaning towards something with 4WD.
We still need to go down to the dealership and do some test driving, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the Patriot while the wife is leaning towards the Compass...I like the classic Jeep look while she likes the more rounded design of the Compass.
That aside, I was hoping to get some owners opinions on a few things:
1) Stick or CVT? Somewhat leaning towards the stick just because of the things I've heard about these new CVTs. How is the CVT in the Pat/Comp? I know some cars with CVT tend to sound a bit funny.
2) Any options you would consider a must or must not? Obviously we want the 4WD, and if we go stick there will be no FD2. I'm thinking we'd end up with one of the North models (Canadian only I believe), basically the model between the basic and the limited. Would probably want a trailer tow package, just so its ready.
3) Compass or Patriot? Ignoring styling, is there any advantages to one or the other. From what I know, they are basically the same vehicle.
4) I know this is a Jeep forum, but if you were going to look at other vehicles in the same category what would you consider? I thought maybe Kia or Hyundai would have a cheaper offering, but it looks like even their small SUVs are now priced higher then the Jeeps.
5) If we were to look at used vehicles, is there anything to be worried about in the '07s or '08s?
6) Might think of more questions later, but if there is anything else you want to comment on just post away...or link me to some good threads. If you live in Manitoba, have you seen any good deals or found any dealers easier to deal with?
7) Anyone want to sell me a mint condition Pat/Comp for a good price?