Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

So lets say the MK goes bigger....gearing?

998 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JLink 
#1 ·
Should the MK have another lift kit become available and tire size goes up to 33" or so, what about gearing? I'm unaware how you would be able to give back the low end power lost from oversized tires.

While out wheeling the Compass it was painfully obvious that the motor just didn't have enough power to climb any type of real obsticle. We had it floored and the trans down in L and the Jeep was going nowhere. It wasn't that big of an obsticle either.

What to do?

Is there such a thing as a locker for this type of 4wd system?

#3 ·
This is something that a friend sent me on what's being done with the Liberty's. The Libby's have been out for a while and they just now have developed a 6" lift kit for it. There's going to have to be enough interest in these kinds of things for the MK's before a manufacturer goes to the trouble to R&D and produce something.
Same story on the lockers. I was hoping that someone else could give us some positive info 'cause all that I can say is that I haven't heard of anything yet.
Here is where they are designing the new lift they send me e-mail updates www.jeepinbyal.com

They have different CV axles that don't bind so the IFS doesn't limit the lift, you have to use their A arms and custom control arms and what not but it works from what they are saying. 6 Inch lift will make the Libby look tough as hell especially with some custom bumpers.
and here's a video of the Libby with a 6" lift.

#4 ·
Ok, Doba, don't get me wrong as I do want a bigger lift, and I am known to hate nay sayers, but... 33's? I do not think 33's will fit in the wheel wells, with out major mods. I just measured mine to make sure and the wheel well (body only) is 35" at the bottom from front to back. You would definitely have to remove the plastic wheel well liner as there is a portion of it that is about 1" in and sticks out 1.25" so that takes the 35" opening back down to 33.75" Which leaves very little room for the tire to swing as its turned left to right. Personally I have 245/65R17's which equate to 29.5" tires and I do not think I would want to go any larger. It would cost a fortune to replace the transmission which is the only foreseeable way to swap in lower gears. Now if I could keep the 29.5" tires and get another half to one full inch of lift... you know just enough to get alittle more gap between the tires and the and the wheel well lips... That would be, as my 8 year old daughter puts it, "TIGHT".

#6 ·
your motor would be so ANGRY if you even found a way to put 33" on it. with something like that you would deff hace to regear. and deff have to get thicker axles. as well as lots of other things... even for the WJ the market is just starting to get serious with its offroad componants

#7 ·
Honestly man, I have 245's mounted for two reasons. One the 235's I wanted were sold out and these were still available. Two, I have always liked big jeeps and because I wanted to be one of the biggest.

However now I sorta regret it and wished I would have gotten 225 or 235's so it would have less rolling resisance. For example when I had the stock 215/65's I would coast down the hill I live on and would hit 60 no issues. This is after the lift. Now with my 245's installed (with increased width and therefore increased rolling resistance) I now coast down the hill at a modest 45-48 mph. Only change was the tires... And to be honest its that rolling resistance that really effects my mileage.

#8 ·
Oh and to answer any questions about what may seem like I can't make up my mind...

I do still want a taller lift, but not for taller tires. I want to add more of a gap between the wheel wells and the top of my tires. I plan on getting some 16" Soft-8 wheels and some 225/75R16's which are approximately the same diameter as the ones I am running now. The wheels (I think) will be less weight. However the tires will be more weight (not by much though) so that should stay about the same. Its the width that will be adjusted in this modification so the rolling resistance will go down and hopefully I can gain back a mile or two on my mileage.

My mileage is not bad... I used to get 26-30mpg depending on driving style and what not. Now I am averaging about 24mph with out trying to hypermile. So I lost about 2-3 mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.