snow chains or cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > snow chains or cables

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
dirtdad
1996 ZJ 

snow chains or cables

I need to buy some. The manual says nothing about if they fit or not, if recommended or not. Anyone have any experience with either on a Patriot?
I dont actually expect to ever use them, but here in California, even with 4wd, if chains are required (anytime there is snow on the road), 4wd vehicles need to carry chains. So in order to enjoy my 4wd vehicle in snow, and not have to worry about having to put on chains, I have to buy chains and carry them, then I can drive my 4wd vehicle on snow covered roads without putting on chains. Does that make sense? And if I ever have to put on chains, would they go on the front?

Unread 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I live in California and carry the wrong size cables from my last car. Authorities dont know they dont fit.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
I live in California and carry the wrong size cables from my last car. Authorities dont know they dont fit.
Well that made me laugh!!

Seriously I have read where others have used them but Jeep doesn't recommend them on the MK's because of clearance issues with the brake lines and wheel wells. Those that did use them, in sets of 4, just made sure that there was no extra chain/cable to flop around and snag on anything. If you only use 2 then put them on the rear so that you can stop in a straight line should work the best. Check clearance and fit BEFORE you need to use them!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
By the time R3 conditions are enforced, the road will be closed. Carrying the wrong size may keep you legal because you'll never have to legally use them unless your tires are not rated for mud and snow. And yes, they check here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.