snow chains 4X4 Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > snow chains 4X4 Compass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

snow chains 4X4 Compass

Maybe I missed this somewhere. But what is recommended for tire chains? I have an '07 without TPMS. Gramps???

'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Dedicated snow tires are the only solution.

Page 275 of the Owners Manual.

TIRE CHAINS
Due to limited clearance, tire chains are not recommended.

CAUTION!
Damage to the vehicle may result if tire chains are used.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

I can see why using tire chains at the front would be a bad idea... But what about using chains on rear wheels only?

(Me, I run proper winter tires, so I'm mostly thinking more off-roadish conditions and low speeds. I do realise that not having chains on the wheels that steer might make life a tad more interesting as speeds increase. )
Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

My concern is if I am on my way to Reno from Sacramento and they say Chains are required ... what do I do? Do I just have to turn around and head home? I would think with the RR lift kit I should have enough space for chains on the rear tires ... but hey what do I know?
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
madrabbitt

On "chain required" checkpoints, you either have to have chains on board, or snow rated tires.
And when i say snow rated, i dont mean all season M+S tires, i mean tires with the actual snowflake symbol.

Also, on the 4x4 models, you cant run the chains just on one axle. The clearance issue is the front, not the rear. However, you cant run rear only.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

madrabbitt, do you have any basis on your claim that one can't run snow chains only on the rear? Seems to me that while there are several negative sides* to it, running only two snow chains is quite common.

* Some issues that come to my mind: when speeds increase, understeering, poor braking. Additional strain to drive train due to "different sizes" of rear and front wheels? But all these issues seem to me to be more related to on-road driving - and for that I do run proper winter tires. What I would need snow chains for would be more of an off-roadish situation where even studded winter tires can't provide with enough traction. In other words very low speeds, short distances.
Unread 12-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
madrabbitt

increases the rolling diameter of the chained axle, potentially causing damage to the center diff or transfer case.
Thats the primary reason. All of the issues you named are secondary reasons as well.

And, while i understand english may not be your first language, i take the wording "basis to your claim" offensive, you're making it look like i'm just pulling answers out of my exaust.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Sorry, no offense was meant.

To sum up, using snow chains on rear tires only would then be okay in your opinion too, if done only for short distances and at slow speeds?
Unread 12-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

From the book of "Old School" the chains go on the driving axle. Now to complicate things we have all of this electronics that tries to balance everything out even if you intentionally unbalance it. Personally chains only on the front would make me nervous. For driving traction they would be fine but when it comes to stopping and turning I would think that you could have problems. The front end would be doing what you want it to but the back end could end up acting like the back end of a tractor-trailer rig with a mind of it's own in a panic stop of your a little fast in the turns.

Chains on the rear would drag you to a stop with better control but the electronics may get fooled into doing something it shouldn't, what I don't know.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
Sorry, no offense was meant.

To sum up, using snow chains on rear tires only would then be okay in your opinion too, if done only for short distances and at slow speeds?

IF you had a 2wd, and IF you had a mild lift on it, like the 2 inch one, then chains may, in theory be used on rears only, for short distances.
However, i'm not responsible for any damage that would occur.

I'd use that as an absolute worst case scenario.

A 4x4 model's transfer case would get damaged if you were to use rear chains only, and 4 wheel drive.

I'm sticking to NO SNOW CHAINS ON A COMPASS OR PATRIOT, as your owners manual advises, as my official answer.

Kinda like my WJ. I dont have the clearance for snow chains on my front tires, so i wouldnt use them on the rears only, because of the possibility of damaging the transfer case (although, in theory, i could use full time, and it would be ok)

Unread 12-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
From the book of "Old School" the chains go on the driving axle. Now to complicate things we have all of this electronics that tries to balance everything out even if you intentionally unbalance it. Personally chains only on the front would make me nervous. For driving traction they would be fine but when it comes to stopping and turning I would think that you could have problems. The front end would be doing what you want it to but the back end could end up acting like the back end of a tractor-trailer rig with a mind of it's own in a panic stop of your a little fast in the turns.

Chains on the rear would drag you to a stop with better control but the electronics may get fooled into doing something it shouldn't, what I don't know.

The two points of no chains on the front at all due to clearance, and no chains on the rear only due to transfer case damage possibility sorta outweigh the worries about the electronics and traction systems getting all pissed off at the difference in handling. But those are also valid reasons for not doing it.

Unread 12-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
deepnite10

test fit a set of cables..i ve used a set of 4 twice already and they
have enough clearance..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #13
madrabbitt

if you have a compass, take a look at the inner fender lining on the front.

If theres no damage, then its likely you didnt turn to full stop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.