Skid Plates - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Skid Plates

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #76
thisisnotashoe

Hi... I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot 4wheel drive with autostick, just a regular jeep no towing package or anything. The plastic skid plate under the engine fell off the other day and I was just wondering if this is something important that I should replace right away or if it's something I can live without for a few weeks? If I need to replace it, now much would a dealer charge me to fix it?

Thanks for anyone who can help me...

thisisnotashoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #77
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's really just a splash guard to keep your engine compartment clean and probably helps with the air flow around the engine too. I certainly wouldn't be too concerned about it not being there, just make sure to keep an eye on your temp gauge.

Dealers would charge more than an outside shop but would should have the parts and plastic fasteners to put it back on. Did the shield get damaged any?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #78
thisisnotashoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Dealers would charge more than an outside shop but would should have the parts and plastic fasteners to put it back on. Did the shield get damaged any?
Yes it did because I dragged it for a while under my car so I'm pretty sure I can't have that one reinstalled. Do you know what they run price wise?
thisisnotashoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #79
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sorry, not a clue on price. Here's the part number for the Patriot 05116372AC (as always it may be superseded). It's listed as an accessory item for the Compass so it doesn't look like it's critical at all.

Unread 11-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #80
ivanolo

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are the rear skid plates compatible with the 2WD Patriot?
ivanolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #81
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

They did a 2WD over on JP. Copy and paste this but take out the "-" between Jeep and Patriot. http://www.jeep-patriot.com/forum/sh...fwd%2A&page=11 The passenger side gets the mod and I'll probably be out the door for posting an "illegal" link.

Unread 05-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #82
burkem330
2008 JK Wrangler 

I will post pics of this just as soon as I have enough posts on this website to do so...along with a build thread. But anyways, this is probly gonna be a fairly long winded post, but here it goes....

I found another method to mounting these skid plates (or at least the engine plate), though perhaps not on purpose. and perhaps slightly ghetto.
When I tried to explain to the various auto shops in the area how I intended to mount the plates based on Gramps write up they looked at me like I had 3 heads oh wellll. So last resort was to go to Jeep dealership to see if they had any mounting hardware kits to go along with their skidplates (I already had Mopar skid plates in my possession). What they told me was frustrating, but nonetheless helpful. I had hoped, that being all the way in the year 2011, Jeep might have gotten around to such things, but apparently not. So the deal is you can buy an FDII patriot with skid plates, and you can buy skid plates, but you cannot buy mounting hardware for said skid plates BUT the guy did give me a picture of the engine skidplates and a list of exactly what bolts I needed for that. Which are things I already knew thanks to Gramps post
So I went and bought the 7 bolts that I needed, and crawled under my car to see what to do next. I discovered, that thanks to already having the bull bar mounted on the front of my Jeep, the front 3 bolts already had a place to screw into [these little metal tabs that slid into factory created holes in the frame]. Pretty excited about that. The middle bolt was easily accessible. But the 3 bolts towards the middle of the Jeep presented more of a problem.
SOLUTION: Perhaps ghetto...but it worked. I placed the washer around each bolt, and I tired a wire around it. Thankfully, each of these holes had 2 slightly bigger holes around them. I threaded the wire through and pulled the bolt through the hole facing downward. Next, slapped the skid plate up, and put another washer and the nut on the end of the bolt! Magic! And required no drilling. I suspect, from looking at the other pictures in this thread, that I can use a similar means to do the gas tank skids (which I have yet to do). But, it seemed like a decent method, given enormous patience. The bolts do not hang down hardly at all past the skid plate (perhaps 1/12" at most), so I don't suspect they will actually catch on anything. Anybody see any problems with my solution???? I know I'm still kind of a newb to the whole Jeep thing, but I'm learning a little bit every step of the way
burkem330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #83
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It sounds like that Bull Bar came in handy, for more than its original intention! The only thing that I might suggest is to use acorn nuts on the three in the rear of the engine/trans skid plate to protect the threads.

The fuel tank skid plates take the hex riv-nuts and the center ones (each side) I don't think will lend themselves to that method. The outer ones - maybe; and the lower link - probably.

Tags
fasteners , mk , skid plates

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.