Skid Plates - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Skid Plates

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #46
rookie1

my 08 pat FD 1 has single plastic shield covering sides & bottom. So, I will have to install left & right shield before installing the narrow metal skid.

rookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #47
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Body Shop Supply place didn't have these 13mm Hex Rivnuts either and no listing. Let me know how you guys are doing on finding them.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #48
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

Well folks, the 08 model of Compass is slightly different in the front. I had a chance to get some photos this morning while I was getting an oil change.
(Did I mention I love my Jeep dealer )

I have a photo that is of the same view as gramps
eSkid Plates 016.jpg and it looks rather different. (There is actually a molded hook on the passenger side as well..)

There is a square cut out above a round hole. It looks like it is designed to have something bolted in place as an insert into the rail over the hole....

I am going to see what I can do to get some photos posted.

The rear is exactly the same so the gas tank plates should be able to be installed the same way with the hex rivnuts...

Last edited by OnRoad; 03-29-2008 at 10:57 AM..
OnRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #49
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's the pic from OnRoad (top) and mine for comparison.
p1010012small.jpg   eskid-plates-016.jpg  

Unread 03-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #50
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

hmmm missing those two holes in the beam that are probably for holding the nut to tighten the whole thing down...interesting

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #51
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent33 View Post
hmmm missing those two holes in the beam that are probably for holding the nut to tighten the whole thing down...interesting
I'm guessing they have a snap in or screw in insert based on the 2 small holes next to the large square one...
Unread 03-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #52
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

I just read the entire thread and am more confused now...

So you guys all own Compasses? They do not fit? Holes are not in correct spots or are they? It looks like one person actually mounted it. But it looks like its a Patriot. Do I have all that correct?
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #53
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post

So you guys all own Compasses? They do not fit? Holes are not in correct spots or are they? It looks like one person actually mounted it. But it looks like its a Patriot. Do I have all that correct?
The mounting holes are in the correct spot. Both the Compass and the non-FDII Patriot do not have the nuts pre-installed in the body for bolting the plates to. This is what a lot of the discussion is about. The post about the differences in the front rail MAY apply to both the Compass and the Patriot but someone with an 08 Pat needs to check and see...
Unread 03-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #54
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

Ok, so why not pinch the larger hole (in the body) with washers and nuts on both sides the sheet metal? Or possibly take a normal high grade nut and weld on the additional material to make it fit. Or just weld the nut to the body...
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #55
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Lotta quotes so bare with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRoad View Post
Well folks, the 08 model of Compass is slightly different in the front. I had a chance to get some photos this morning while I was getting an oil change.
(Did I mention I love my Jeep dealer )

I have a photo that is of the same view as Gramps
eSkid Plates 016.jpg and it looks rather different. (There is actually a molded hook on the passenger side as well..)

There is a square cut out above a round hole. It looks like it is designed to have something bolted in place as an insert into the rail over the hole....

I am going to see what I can do to get some photos posted.

The rear is exactly the same so the gas tank plates should be able to be installed the same way with the hex rivnuts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent33 View Post
The only difference that is going to matter is your center hole is round and not hex. The far left is out of view and (mine) is covered with a bit of close out that will need to be removed or trimmed. If you look at where those 2 rectangular holes are on yours in the flange that hangs down it appears to be the same size as the flange on mine, I just don't have the rectangular holes like you do. The "towers" on the front of the Skid Plate are 1" tall and let the plate hang down below the flange.

Quote:
I'm guessing they have a snap in or screw in insert based on the 2 small holes next to the large square one...
I have no idea what these rectangular holes are for, maybe something on an export for mounting photon torpedoes or laser canons.

Quote:

Quote:
The mounting holes are in the correct spot. Both the Compass and the non-FDII Patriot do not have the nuts preinstalled in the body for bolting the plates to. This is what a lot of the discussion is about. The post about the differences in the front rail MAY apply to both the Compass and the Patriot but someone with an 08 Pat needs to check and see...
Correct they will fit and there's nothing that we can't figure out. You'll need to mic or use a caliper on that round hole and let me know what size it is.

Quote:
OK, so why not pinch the larger hole (in the body) with washers and nuts on both sides the sheet metal? Or possibly take a normal high grade nut and weld on the additional material to make it fit. Or just weld the nut to the body...
No access to inside the channel for putting a bolt threw from the inside and no way to hold a wrench on it to tighten anything down.

Not to worry, all of this will make since in the next week or two. I am working on devising a way that anybody can do this at home without any special tools except maybe a pop riveter and a rotary file. Certainly not a welder. The fasteners that we need have been the trouble, they're Hex Rivnuts and not very very easy to find in small quantities but are they ever cool! I have a batch to try out due in on Monday. The weather is still working against me. They've changed the forecast and it now looks like I won't have a dry day until Wednesday to try them out. If for some reason this first batch doesn't work out I do have a different one that I can order (more expensive) that I know will work. Quality takes time!

Oh, and hvac59 did his on and FD I Patriot. Same thing except the Patriot doesn't have the a splash shield in the front like the Compass.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #56
Jeepster55

Anyone Need An Engine Skid Plate?

yesterday i had a dealer in Mass call me for this part (5105236AB), but didn't buy it. i'm surprised we still had it. i had ordered 2 (1 for me) a month ago or so, so we still have ONE in stock. looks like according to Chryslers "DealerConnect" there are only 3 dealers in the country with one and only ONE in the PDC system, in Chicago.

if anyone wants this one, you can call me at 1-800-969-1992 after 7am EDT (we're in Indianapolis). i'll sell it for Mopar List $160.00 (-25% if you mention your screen name to me) and i'll even ship it anywhere within the continental US for free. just want to help out a fellow MK owner.

Kevin
Tom O'Brien Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge of Greenwood, Inc

P.S. i thought i posted this on this site earlier, but guess not.....thanks "Gramps" for pointing that out! my bad......
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #57
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
yesterday i had a dealer in Mass call me for this part (5105236AB), but didn't buy it. i'm surprised we still had it. i had ordered 2 (1 for me) a month ago or so, so we still have ONE in stock. looks like according to Chryslers "DealerConnect" there are only 3 dealers in the country with one and only ONE in the PDC system, in Chicago.
sorry, a dealer in Michigan bought the one we had. i'm surprised i didn't get one call about this. did everyone that was wanting one GET ONE?
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #58
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Finally got my scanner up and running...again. Here's a view of the Patriot FD II that I'm sure many owners will never hope to see out on the trail. Shows very nicely the skid plates and the supports on the rear lower control arms.

Unread 04-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #59
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

Interesting. The front skid plate does not look like the ones we bought...
Must have been the planned version ....

The size of the cutout for the tow hitch appears to be the same size as the indented area on my bumper. I noticed that your hitch has a smaller cut out and was kind of wondering about that...

Now, if I can finally get some sleep I might be a bit more coherent...
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #60
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Interesting. The front skid plate does not look like the ones we bought...
Must have been the planned version ....
No cut out for the oil filter access. Sure glad they put that in!

Quote:
The size of the cutout for the tow hitch appears to be the same size as the indented area on my bumper. I noticed that your hitch has a smaller cut out and was kind of wondering about that...

Now, if I can finally get some sleep I might be a bit more coherent...
The pic does show the cut out along the indent. Mine was cut to the pattern provided in the instructions. Whatever floats your boat. Now go get some sleep.

Tags
fasteners , mk , skid plates

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.