Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Skid Plates

36K views 82 replies 15 participants last post by  Gramps 
#1 · (Edited)
here are the pics of the 'skid plates' used on the Patriots with the "Off Road Pkg" (AWL) and FDII.

the first is the Engine/Trans skid plate and the second are the Fuel Tank skid plates (takes 2, a left and right side)

part numbers and prices are in a post following this. i got mine in and hopefully will have them on my Compass in about 10 days.

ENJOY!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#70 ·
The last two that are mounted higher up are the most difficult. As you can see in the picture there is a cable that gets in the way and it's just a tight spot to get to. You won't be able to get your hammer up in there to drive the Rivnut in the hole, I used a 6" extention for 3/8" drive to tap it in. The extention takes up some of the shock so you'll need a couple of good whacks to seat the Rivnut. I put the long end of the allen wrench in the cap screw and stuck a 10mm deep socket on the short end to help hold it steady. You can only get a short turn on the pulling nut but these are your last two, don't give up!

When these are all installed you can put some Threadlocker on the rear and upper bolts w/washers and start them in the Rivnuts, hook the Fuel tank skid plates into place and install the outboard bolt/washer and Threadlocker and tighten everything down.

Last step. Use a wire tie to pull that little bit of wiring harness that was attached to the close outs over to the bracket that's handy. It will require that you trim the close outs if you want to install them correctly. I didn't see the need since the FD II doesn't use them.

Final Note: If you change your own oil, you'll need a socket type Oil Filter Wrench.

Rivnuts and T-Nuts for sale.

#71 ·
Desire armor for my Compass

A number of my fellow Compass and Patriot owners have listed skid plates among their mods. I have looked on various sites including Mopar and cannot find reference to skid plates for these two models. Where can I get ahold of some armor?:confused:

#74 ·
Skid Plates?

Anyone know of a skid plate supplier for the Patriot? I can't seem to find any on the Mopar website... yet I have seen and heard of people having them installed. Also, if it is a non-Mopar part and installed by someone other than the dealer, are there any warranty issues to worry about?

#76 ·
Hi... I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot 4wheel drive with autostick, just a regular jeep no towing package or anything. The plastic skid plate under the engine fell off the other day and I was just wondering if this is something important that I should replace right away or if it's something I can live without for a few weeks? If I need to replace it, now much would a dealer charge me to fix it?

Thanks for anyone who can help me...

#77 ·
It's really just a splash guard to keep your engine compartment clean and probably helps with the air flow around the engine too. I certainly wouldn't be too concerned about it not being there, just make sure to keep an eye on your temp gauge.

Dealers would charge more than an outside shop but would should have the parts and plastic fasteners to put it back on. Did the shield get damaged any?

#79 ·
Sorry, not a clue on price. Here's the part number for the Patriot 05116372AC (as always it may be superseded). It's listed as an accessory item for the Compass so it doesn't look like it's critical at all.

#81 ·
#82 ·
I will post pics of this just as soon as I have enough posts on this website to do so...along with a build thread. But anyways, this is probly gonna be a fairly long winded post, but here it goes....

I found another method to mounting these skid plates (or at least the engine plate), though perhaps not on purpose. and perhaps slightly ghetto.
When I tried to explain to the various auto shops in the area how I intended to mount the plates based on Gramps write up they looked at me like I had 3 heads :facepalm: oh wellll. So last resort was to go to Jeep dealership to see if they had any mounting hardware kits to go along with their skidplates (I already had Mopar skid plates in my possession). What they told me was frustrating, but nonetheless helpful. I had hoped, that being all the way in the year 2011, Jeep might have gotten around to such things, but apparently not. So the deal is you can buy an FDII patriot with skid plates, and you can buy skid plates, but you cannot buy mounting hardware for said skid plates :brickwall BUT the guy did give me a picture of the engine skidplates and a list of exactly what bolts I needed for that. Which are things I already knew thanks to Gramps post :salute:
So I went and bought the 7 bolts that I needed, and crawled under my car to see what to do next. I discovered, that thanks to already having the bull bar mounted on the front of my Jeep, the front 3 bolts already had a place to screw into [these little metal tabs that slid into factory created holes in the frame]. Pretty excited about that. The middle bolt was easily accessible. But the 3 bolts towards the middle of the Jeep presented more of a problem.
SOLUTION: Perhaps ghetto...but it worked. I placed the washer around each bolt, and I tired a wire around it. Thankfully, each of these holes had 2 slightly bigger holes around them. I threaded the wire through and pulled the bolt through the hole facing downward. Next, slapped the skid plate up, and put another washer and the nut on the end of the bolt! Magic! And required no drilling. I suspect, from looking at the other pictures in this thread, that I can use a similar means to do the gas tank skids (which I have yet to do). But, it seemed like a decent method, given enormous patience. The bolts do not hang down hardly at all past the skid plate (perhaps 1/12" at most), so I don't suspect they will actually catch on anything. Anybody see any problems with my solution???? I know I'm still kind of a newb to the whole Jeep thing, but I'm learning a little bit every step of the way

#83 ·
It sounds like that Bull Bar came in handy, for more than its original intention! The only thing that I might suggest is to use acorn nuts on the three in the rear of the engine/trans skid plate to protect the threads.

The fuel tank skid plates take the hex riv-nuts and the center ones (each side) I don't think will lend themselves to that method. The outer ones - maybe; and the lower link - probably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.