JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Sister's new Compass (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/sisters-new-compass-301091/)

Onefastdak02 08-06-2006 10:16 PM

Sister's new Compass

My sister just got a new Compass (employee fast feedback) black, 4WD, CVT, Boston Acoustic speakers, music gate.. I hated the car when I saw it, it looks cheap and it is NOT a jeep. But I have been driving it all weekend, for one, it handles pretty well and feels much bigger than it really is. The stereo is loud, with awesome bass. It sounds like it has a system, which isn't for everyone but I expected a really sh*tty stereo. Although she ordered a manual, she got the CVT, which took awhile to get used to (no shifts really mess with you), it drives really well. While alot of it looks pretty cheap, it looks like it will be easy to clean and take care, (my sister treats her cars like crap, so easy to clean interiors are important), with tons of little storage bins. Basically I really thought Jeep and DC had made a huge mistake with the it, but my sister loves her "jeep" and I kinda like it.. I wouldn't want it over my wrangler, but I would drive it everyday and leave my wrangler at home to save on gas (28mpg).

1fast

exc911ence 08-07-2006 11:28 AM

She ordered a manual but got the CVT? And she accepted it? There's no way I'd consider taking a pre-ordered vehicle if it showed up equipped differently than my order!

Aside: I've now seen two different Compasses around here (still sitting on the dealer's lot) and have to say that IMHO the styling is really awful. It's really blobby, especially the front end where the corners of the bumpers look like droopy jowls on an old dog... or grumpy old man. No offense intended to would-be owners, beauty is in the the eye of the beholder.

Gramps 08-07-2006 01:11 PM

About the kindest negative that I've heard so far about the front end is "chipmonk cheeks". All I can say is that it's grown on me very quickly, maybe it has to do with who makes the payments :)

SAB0602 08-07-2006 02:43 PM

Personally I think DC is just turning Jeep into something it isn't. Jeep was always known for top notch off-road capable vehicles. Compass has off-road capability but it is just the same old thing everybody else has to offer. So yes I respect Compass for what it is but put a Dodge emblem on it instead of Jeep but give the grill back.

Gramps 08-07-2006 08:34 PM

Sorry, this is better, in my opinion, than the Caliber. How about " bring back the Willys" and let us keep the grill?

XJ2Timer 08-08-2006 08:18 PM

There were plenty of non off road Jeeps before the current offerings. The 1947 2 wheel drive Jeepster roadster. The 2 wheel drive Dispatcher Jeeps. The Gala Jeeps were 2 wheel drive and came with striped and fringed tops. I'm actually less offended by the idea of an entry vehicle like the Compass than I am by the Grand Cherokee and Commander having lost some of their ability in the name of on road handling. At least the Compass does not look like the older an more capable Jeeps. I'm more worried about the Patriot since it looks like a Jeep it had darn better be able to perform like a Jeep. I don't want something to look like my XJ Cherokee but not work like my Cherokee.

The time now is 03:26 PM.