Should I be worried about oil change indicator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Should I be worried about oil change indicator?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
udmover
2011 WK 

Should I be worried about oil change indicator?

I try to go 6k between oil changes, but did my first at 5500mi. I thought that I would go to 12k, then change again and be on that schedule. However, yesterday at 8k, the indicator says that it's time now! It's not even been 3k yet! Are these designed to make you do 3k changes, or do they really analyze driving habits and such? Should I be concerned that I got such a short interval between changes? I don't think I'm going to change it still until 12k. Thoughts on this?

udmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by udmover View Post
I try to go 6k between oil changes, but did my first at 5500mi. I thought that I would go to 12k, then change again and be on that schedule. However, yesterday at 8k, the indicator says that it's time now! It's not even been 3k yet! Are these designed to make you do 3k changes, or do they really analyze driving habits and such? Should I be concerned that I got such a short interval between changes? I don't think I'm going to change it still until 12k. Thoughts on this?
My advice to you is change the oil more often the 3K on a brand new vehicle.
New vehicles have a breaking in point and changing the oil more often in the beginning will help the engine break in better (for a longer lasting/running engine). After your 10K mark you can change it less often.
Unread 09-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
izzoe46
2008 MK Patriot 

I try to change oil on all my cars at every 3K. I believe the mfg. warranty also specifies oil changes every 3K or 4 months, I think.
izzoe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
PirateKatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzoe46 View Post
I try to change oil on all my cars at every 3K. I believe the mfg. warranty also specifies oil changes every 3K or 4 months, I think.
According to the manual that came with my '08 Compass, the suggested oil change interval for normal driving conditions is 6 months or 6,000 miles.
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.