Should I use synthetic oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Should I use synthetic oil?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
downbreak

Should I use synthetic oil?

Hey guys,
I bought my first Jeep last October and pretty much loving it other than a few things I have to keep taking it back to the dealer for, but that's a different topic. I'm trying to learn the do-it-yourself basics because I don't trust my mechanic since he blatantly lied to my face about changing the oil the last time. My friend gave me a crash course in changing oil and I was just wondering, is there a benefit to using synthetic oil? I'm told royal purple is a kick *** oil to use, but I'm also told once I use synthetic I must only use synthetic. Also, for oil filters, does it matter what kind? I used Fram last time, but I notice K&N has an oil filter also, and I'm told that it is also a great brand. Any information would be greatly appreciated! I drive a 2011 Jeep Compass 2x4 by the way.

downbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
CanadianJets

Hello.

I know that Mobil 1 is the best synthetic oil ever. Using synthetic oil has the benefit in winter time. The vehicle will start easier in real cold whether. I live in Calgary and we had like -45 C with a windshield. I remember the power outlet didn't work so the blockheater was useless but my car started with the first attempt. Thanks to synthetic oil. I'm not really familiar with the filters. I think the modern brand don't care of the type of oil you use. Hope my response was helpful.
CanadianJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

There are 'fans' of various manufactures out there that will say their's is the best. I have normally used NAPA full synthetic (private label Valvoline) in both mine and the wife's Hemi with normal oil changes at 5K and I use the NAPA Gold filters. I have also used AMSOIL and at the time they didn't make their own filter and the used and recommended the NAPA Gold filter.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
downbreak

Ok thanks a bunch for the feed back. Unfortunately I'm in Houston Texas and our winters rarely drop below 60 degrees and if it does it's only for a few hours. But since you guys say it's worth it I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thank you!
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If you stay with the 5W-20 that's recommended they are all at least partially synthetic which lasts longer before breaking down. That can give you some peace of mind if you're a slacker on oil changes or the weather isn't cooperating. If I was back in Tucson I would be using 5W-30 synthetic.

Unread 07-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

With the heat in the midwest I'm wishing I would have changed to 5w-30...
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat91 View Post
With the heat in the midwest I'm wishing I would have changed to 5w-30...
I hear ya!! This heat's a killer with the humidity but with no rain in sight for me.

Unread 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps

I hear ya!! This heat's a killer with the humidity but with no rain in sight for me.
None here either a good 5" soak over a week wouldn't be too upsetting.
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

For a normal use vehicle non-synth is perfectly fine if changed at the recommended intervals. Buy a quality oil (in other words, not Wal-Mart brand) and you'll have no issues. The only real advantage to synth and it's substantially higher price is temperature extremes and longer change durations. Synth or not, you should generally choose an oil and stick to it over the life of a vehicle, but using synth a few times does not negate it from ever going back to dino oil. I've used both in various vehicles and to me the added cost, if you're changing at the regular intervals, is not worth it.

Filters...boy, you'll get umpteen different answers from as many owners. So here's mine: Fram has built their product to a price to be competitive and sold at the chain stores (the -marts). I prefer Wix or NAPA Gold, but for the Jeep I just buy the OEM filters from the dealer in a 10-pack at a discount. Makes them price competitive with the other ones I mention.

I race a BMW, and I use OEM equivalent filters and dino 'racing' oil (no sythetic). The extremes that engine is put to are nothing your Jeep will ever experience, and it works extremely well for me.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
downbreak

Awesome, thank you so much for all your advice! Being new to this I will take all the advice I can get
Unread 07-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I use nothing but Mobil 1 in both of my vehicles.

This the oil pan of my XJ's 4.0 after 120k miles.

And this is the underside of the crank at the same time. Nothing was cleaned prior to taking the picture. No oil usage or leaks. I also use Purolator Pure one filters.
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

I personally am no mechanic so I don't know all of the research data but I can tell you in my last 2 cars, a mazda and a jeep, I've run mobile 1 synth. The Mazda had 246,000 miles on it when I sold it and never had an engine related repair. A friend of the family bought the car from me and has since run it up to 300,000 still with no engine related repairs. My MK has 136,000 on it and so far needed no repairs what so ever.

I can't tell you if it is the mobile1 or just finally some good luck but all my prior vehicles ran "normal" oil and had many engine related problems well before 136,000 miles. I won't run anything else.......until something better comes along
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.