Shocks / struts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Shocks / struts

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
tomhale114

Shocks / struts

The shock absorber on the front passengers side has gone out and I was wondering a few things
1) should I replace all shocks or just the one that is out?
2)what is the best shock to get?
3)is this a hard task to accomplish DIY?

tomhale114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you should replace both sides, if one has gone the other is probably not far behind... Not necessary to do all 4 corners, unless you have higher miles and just want to get it done.

I don't think brand matters all that much, unless you are going for a racing shock or something... most meet or exceed OEM quality, and more than half of them are made in the same factory and just have different labels slapped on them, Just make sure you get 1 right, and 1 left. another note, depending on how many miles you have, you might want to replace the mount that goes on top of the strut. you're in there doing the work anyways....

Is it hard to do? in my opinion no... but I've done a lot of shocks and struts... couple of things, Make sure you have the right tools first, then a week before you are going to do the work, spray all the bolts that you'll be loosening with some sort of liquid wrench, repeat the night before.

Some tools you'll need, if you don't already have them:
http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...-set-3980.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...set-32042.html
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

As aroundincircles says, it's not a terribly difficult thing to do if you have the tools and time. On the other hand, if money is not a concern, and wrench turning is not your favorite thing, having it done by your favorite mechanic is much easier. If you're your favorite mechanic, good luck, and have fun!
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
tomhale114

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know!
tomhale114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

There aren't a lot of shock/strut options for the Patriot and Compass out there( and those seem to only be through 2010 - no listings for 2011+ )in the aftermarket. Of the ones I have seen available I would go with the Monroe Sensa-trac ones if you have a 2010 or earlier. KYB is the other mfg I have seen offer them but I am not a fan of their shocks.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.