Shifting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Shifting issue

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Shifting issue

2008 Jeep Compass, Rallye, 5 speed, 2.4 l engine.

Saturday, ran perfect. Got up Sunday morning, the shifter would not allow me to engage any gear except 2nd. So essentially, I could engage the clutch and go from neutral to 2nd, but could shift into NO OTHER gears. It just physically cannot be shifted into 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th or reverse!

Thoughts from you resident mechanics? And should this issue be covered in my lifetime powertrain warranty?

Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

After you get it rolling in 2nd can you then shift it to another gear? It may be syncro/gear alignment or shifter cable/mechanism problems but it should be covered under the Lifetime Warranty.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

No...since my driveway has a slope, I was able to use gravity to back out and drive to my local jeep service shop...all in second gear. But at no point could I shift into any other gear.
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Well, here is a good one...a walnut got up in the gear box (how, who knows) and was physically preventing my shifting. Damn squires!
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Im sorry to hear that, But that is the best thing i have heard in a while. A walnut of all things. Imagine that! I can just picture myself in your position driving all the way to the dealer doing 20mph in 2nd gear... But I'm glad everything is ok now!
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Luckily, the dealer was less than two miles away and all in town roads! ANd luckily, my driveway slopes downward. But boy, when you hear the engine rev about 3000rpms, "habits" sure wants you to shift!
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm laughing only because I had a similar issue with a walnut that some squirrel put in between the steering shaft and the frame years ago on the GC. The wife drove home that night and complained about an odd noise when she made a right turn. It was like a ratcheting noise and loud.

I'm glad it was an easy fix!

Unread 10-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Nothing easy about paying 50 bucks for a damn squirrels lunch! Obviously, the walnut is not considered warranty- eligible!
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk
Luckily, the dealer was less than two miles away and all in town roads! ANd luckily, my driveway slopes downward. But boy, when you hear the engine rev about 3000rpms, "habits" sure wants you to shift!
Be thankful you don't have the CVT then. You'd be at 3000 RPM all the time.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

I essentially spend 55 dollars on a squirrels nuts! :
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

A CVT does not require shifting between gears and the walnut would have no affect on RPM.

Unread 11-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
A CVT does not require shifting between gears and the walnut would have no affect on RPM.
I think he was making a dig at CVT in general, saying that it's always going to 3000 RPM. (Which isn't true, anyway... I'm a big fan of the CVT and don't really see where the hatred for it comes from, but it seems many aren't thrilled with it.)
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Its always around 2,800-3,200 at freeway speeds. Cvt.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I think it comes from the perception from the very first test drive that they are slow. I think they are so smooth that you don't really understand how fast your going unless you watch the speedo. Also since the transmission determines the speed, not the engine, ppl don't give it enough gas to get it going, they are used to more a conventional transmission. I am biased and I love mine too so I do expect disagreement on that.

I have some bigger tires and I'm usually doing 2000 - 2300 rpm @ 55ish. I don't get on the freeways much at all. I also don't hesitate to drop it down to 1st off the line or any other gear to merge into traffic when I need too.

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Its always around 2,800-3,200 at freeway speeds. Cvt.
Not for me. Doing 65-75 MPH, I'm usually around 2,100-2,400 RPM (cruise control). It jumps up to 3,000 (sometimes higher) when I hit a steep hill, but that's not really surprising.

Granted, the Compass doesn't pack the punch that some other vehicles do. I've driven a Jeep Liberty for a while, and punching the accelerator practically threw you back in your seat. But that was a more powerful engine, and the mileage was rather poor. On the other hand, I find the CVT to transfer power very well. With previous cars that I've owned, heading up hills was a nuisance: the car would seemingly try to take it in a high gear, and I'd either have to wait for the speed to drop or floor it for the transmission to shift to a lower gear. I guess that's an argument for manual, but with the CVT, it's a non-issue - the Compass is very responsive to my adjustments on the accelerator, and I feel that I can take hills more easily as a result, even with the weaker engine.

I only really have two gripes with the CVT. At high speeds (60+ MPH), it's true that it feels a bit weak. My other complaint is that there's a lot of drag, and the Compass doesn't really "glide" once you take your foot off of the accelerator. But to be fair, my previous vehicle was a Ford Thunderbird, which glided along the road as if it were on smooth, polished ice. I guess I was hoping for more of that. The Compass' drag is about the same (maybe only slightly worse) than most other vehicles. I find that I can improve it slightly by power-shifting (or what ever they call it) to a high gear when going down hills or in other circumstances where I want to coast. Maybe future CVTs will have less drag... on the bright side, it saves my brakes a bit, I suppose
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.