"Settling" for a Patriot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > "Settling" for a Patriot?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
ErikRP
2011 WK 

"Settling" for a Patriot?

Hi Everyone...

We're looking to lease our first Jeep (currently driving a Buick Regal!). We've narrowed it down between the Patriot and the Liberty. As much as we're drawn to the Liberty it obviously a more expensive vehicle and with the difference in MPG it would be pushing our budget almost into the red. If gas prices keep going the way they have for the last 2 years we'd have to park it half the month because we couldn't afford to drive it!

What I'm looking for is if people here wouldn't mind trying to sell me on the Patriot. I know, that's the salesperson's job, but I'm looking to hear from owners. Everyone here knows these vehicles inside and out, which can't always be said for the dealers.

Here are a few features/inputs in our decision:

- We live in the prairies in Canada - very flat land, temperatures ranging from -45F to 100F over the course of the year. Lots of snow 5-6 months of the year.
- We typically do a "big drive" once or twice a year of around 3,000 miles and we would encounter a variety of driving conditions (Texas Hill Country is a favorite destination).
- Otherwise we just do city driving or the odd trip between cities.
- We want leather seats and most of the bells and whistles (i.e. a well-equipped Patriot would definitely win over a stripped down Liberty).
- I want a vehicle that if I step on the accelerator it goes and if I hit the brakes it stops. Passing in traffic should be as effortless as possible, realizing I'm in a larger, heavier vehicle.

Also, as you can probably tell we don't do any off-roading. Yet, anyway. A big test for our vehicle is my wife's family's ranch in Texas. They have a steep hill for a driveway (around a 35 degree grade), some of the hills are even steeper. The rest of the property has ruts, bumps, rocks and tree limbs scattered about. (Needless to say visiting in the Regal is always a white knuckle drive, although it has made it up and down the driveway!)

A few of the concerns I have about the Patriot are:

- lower HP than the Liberty
- performance of the CVT (we want automatic)
- warranty (we're in Canada and there is no lifetime warranty on the powertrain here)
- rightly or wrongly I get the impression it's a "Jeep Lite". But maybe that's all we really need?

Is the Patriot more suited to my needs? Will I be just as happy in this vehicle? I would really appreciate any comments and feedback.

Please understand I'm not knocking the Patriot or criticizing it in any way. Odds are good in a few months I will be a new Patriot owner. I guess what I want is feedback on why this should be the vehicle for me over the Liberty.

ErikRP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikRP
.... I want a vehicle that if I step on the accelerator it goes and if I hit the brakes it stops. Passing in traffic should be as effortless as possible

if acceleration is a BIG concern, then stick with the Liberty Sport. i've gotten use to the acceleration on my Compass Sport 4X4 with the CVTII and i have no problems with it. but if you want something that when you 'stomp' on it, it goes....the MK's are not for you.

BUT once you drive one for a while and get a feel for it, the performance comes around. for me, driving 70+ miles/day to and from work, the MPG was the biggest factor. i'm VERY happy with my Compass.

may i suggest you search your local Rental Car companies and see if any have a Patriot or Compass. rent one for a few days and see for yourself. yes, i really like the Liberty, but for my needs, the Compass was the best fit.

good luck with your search!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikRP
- I want a vehicle that if I step on the accelerator it goes and if I hit the brakes it stops. Passing in traffic should be as effortless as possible, realizing I'm in a larger, heavier vehicle.
The MK's are no 1/4 terrors, that's for sure but they a definitely adequate. The CVT2 takes some adjustment but you will be assimilated. The smoothness is really nice and with the AutoStick you can get out on the freeways and around others with no problem.

With 4 wheel disc anti lock brakes stopping is as good as it gets.

Quote:
Also, as you can probably tell we don't do any off-roading. Yet, anyway. A big test for our vehicle is my wife's family's ranch in Texas. They have a steep hill for a driveway (around a 35 degree grade), some of the hills are even steeper. The rest of the property has ruts, bumps, rocks and tree limbs scattered about. (Needless to say visiting in the Regal is always a white knuckle drive, although it has made it up and down the driveway!)
The ESP and Traction Controls will get you threw all of that just great. No more white knuckles...ever! Plenty of ground clearance, good approach and departure angles. Lots of storage space. You'll be laughing and saying "that was fun, let's do it again"!

Quote:
A few of the concerns I have about the Patriot are:

- lower HP than the Liberty
- performance of the CVT (we want automatic)
- warranty (we're in Canada and there is no lifetime warranty on the powertrain here)
- rightly or wrongly I get the impression it's a "Jeep Lite". But maybe that's all we really need?

Is the Patriot more suited to my needs? Will I be just as happy in this vehicle? I would really appreciate any comments and feedback.
The HP is more than enough for normal driving considering the mpg. It can still tow 2000 lbs with the trailer tow package.

The CVT takes some adjustments, don't worry about RPMs (you can't over rev them) just drive it for the acceleration that you want, the CVT controls the ratios needed.

I just hit 25K with mine and I have nothing to complain about on any warranty issues. Most of the problems that anybody has had have been "one off" and quickly remedied. They are VERY dependable.

The MKs are the intro Jeeps but a decked out Patriot is really more than a great ride. Leather HEATED seats, Lots of room, easy to clean interiors even if they are a little spartan, good visibility in the Patriot.

I love the decked out Libby's but if it's a plain Jane compared to a decked out Patriot gimme the Patriot with good gas mileage.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

We loved the Patriot so much we bought 2- one for my busband, one for me. He drives 120 miles a day, so gas milage was a must. We wanted 4wd, side impact airbags, and a 5 star crash test rating. The Patriot and Compass had that down cold. We chose the Patriot because it had a larger cargo area than the Compass. We test drove a Suzuki SX4 and liked the way it drove, but it didn't have much growth potential (the kids only get bigger!), so the Patriot it was. We bought mine first and were very satisfied with the value. My husband liked his so much, we got him one too. We both have 5 speed manuals, so I think they're a little better off the line than the CVTs, but your best bet is to drive one...

Good luck and let us know! If you check out youtube, they have clips of Patriots off roading - no rock crawling, but probably comparable to your in-laws.

let us know what you do!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

If gas mileage on a Liberty is a concern and the CVT of a Patriot is as well, what about a CRD Liberty? I want one bad! That being said, I love my CVT Caliber R/T. The heated seats ARE wonderful and gas mileage is too, well, it was before the highs started becoming <freezing. Mine have dropped from 29-36 to 27 on average. 29 MPG is normal, 36 MPG was straight up freeway driving at 55 MPH.
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
ScubaStevie
2008 MK Patriot 

I don't understand why some people actually complain about the accelleration, its actually quite good considering its a 4 cylinder and a heavy vehicle
ScubaStevie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

They complain because they aren't used to a CVT. The first couple of times driving it, it's different, no gear clunk like they're used too. I kinda laugh too when they're busy cramming a new gear that I'm still pulling strong because I'm in the right ratio All of the time.

Unread 01-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ive never driven a Liberty so cant comment on them. I do have a XJ though and can compare them that way.

the Patriot with CVT is a real dog off the line (compared to what Im used to in the XJ and V8 caddy). but once the engine gets a chance to tach up it goes well. passing and hills are no problem as it will always be in the right rpm and ratio.. when passing the engine will jump right to 6000 rpm and pull very well. my wife thinks it goes better on hills than the XJ because you dont need to almost floor it to get the XJ to downshift. the Patriot just smoothly changes ratios and goes. I feel safe passing and merging on highways with it, it has enough power for that, just dont pick fights with any corvettes. so dont get the impression its underpowered, its just slow to get going off the line. once its moving it goes fine

snow? haha you will love it in snow. Ive been playing in my back yard in almost 12" of snow and it goes better than the XJ. no wheel spin, no sliding, no fishtailing. and the ABS brakes are excellent.

all in all a very safe practical vehicle. only downside is 2000 lb max towing and no speed records in the 1/4 mile. the MPG more than make up for that.
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
ErikRP
2011 WK 

AutoStick?

Thanks everyone so much for their feedback - it's very helpful.

One thing I'm curious about is the AutoStick. Is that an option, or is it a standard add-on with the automatic? I haven't seen any mention of it on the Canadian site and the U.S. Jeep site has only a passing mention IIRC and I can't even find any mention of it in the 2008 manual.

I assume it's like most other systems where I can control which gear I'm in as if I had a manual transmission? If this is the case then I can see it would be very useful holding the revs down initially off the line when necessary.
Unread 01-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It was an option on the '07 Compass, not available on the '07 Patriot and from what I've heard is standard on all '08's. I hope that doesn't mean US only. I've grown to appreciate it more as time goes on.

Unread 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
ErikRP
2011 WK 

I took a look on Jeeps's "Specs & Upgrades" page for Patriot and under "Options & Upgrades" it's shown as an available option for all models.

This is on the U.S. site - the Canadian site is woefully lacking in information beyond a quick synopsis of the different models. But I when go to the Cdn site to Build and Price there is no option there to select. Either it's standard on the automatic (contradiction in terms??) or it's hidden somewhere.
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Maybe your dealer can find out for you. Some are more helpful than others. I'm working with someone else on an AutoStick Conversion right now and I'm waiting for feed back from them. Hopefully you won't need to convert anything.

Unread 01-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
ErikRP
2011 WK 

Will do Gramps.

Thanks so much again everyone for the feedback. I hope I didn't sound like I was slamming the Patriot. It's a Jeep as much as any other Jeep coming off the line today. Each one has its own role - I just want to make sure it will meet my needs. From the sound of it I would be well taken care of by one.
Unread 01-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
ScubaStevie
2008 MK Patriot 

I have heated seats without the leather btw... Idk if that helps...

I really hated leather but I wanted heated seats. They are more "rugged" then cloth seats, they are the yes essential seats

Also I don't even know what to do with the autostick, why is it even there
ScubaStevie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #15
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaStevie
Also I don't even know what to do with the autostick, why is it even there
for fun

I dont have the autostick, but my patriot does have a "lo" setting. very good for going down hills as you dont need to ride the brakes..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.