Service Bulletin 09-001-12 Engine Oil Consumption Guideline 2012-2013 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Service Bulletin 09-001-12 Engine Oil Consumption Guideline 2012-2013

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
JeepCares

Service Bulletin 09-001-12 Engine Oil Consumption Guideline 2012-2013

For information only – ignore if not interested.

Service Bulletin NUMBER: 09-001-12
GROUP: Engine
DATE: June 27, 2012
SUBJECT: Engine Oil Consumption Guideline

JEEP MODELS INCLUDED:
2012 - 2013 (JK) Wrangler
2012 - 2013 (J3) Wrangler (CKD)
2012 (K1) Cherokee (CKD)
2012 (KK) Liberty
2012 - 2013 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2012 - 2013 (W2) Grand Cherokee (CKD)
2012 - 2013 (WK) Grand Cherokee

NOTE: This bulletin applies to all Chrysler Group LLC vehicles equipped with
gasoline engines, except SRT and Viper models or vehicles equipped with
Diesel engines.

Oil Consumption
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).
CAUTION: This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule,
CAUTION: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks).
See ‘Causes for Oil Consumption’ below. Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be higher and may include Fleet and Commercial customers.
There are many factors that can affect a Owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Inspect each condition listed below prior to determining if the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.
If abnormal oil consumption is suspected, refer to the detailed diagnostic procedures available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 09 - Engine> Diagnosis and Testing - Oil Consumption Test And Diagnosis.

Diagnosis of Oil Consumption:
Gasket and External Leaks
Thoroughly inspect the oil pan and engine intake manifold for leakage due to over tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets.
Oil Leaks
Inspect all oil lines and fittings for signs of leakage. Verify Oil filter is at proper torque and Oil Filter gasket is not out of place.
Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator on Dipstick
Verify that the dipstick is fully seated in the tube. Verify the dipstick tube is fully seated in the engine block. When checking the oil level, make sure the vehicle is on a level surface and the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube.
NOTE: The dipstick must be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.
CAUTION: Operating the vehicle with an oil level that is below the minimum level indicated on the engine oil dipstick can result in severe engine damage.
Repairs resulting from operating an engine with insufficient oil are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.
Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase.
The vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading. To ensure an accurate reading, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.
Under or Over Oil Fill after an Oil Change
After an oil change, verify that the proper amount of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner Manual or Service Information for information on recommended oil quantity.
Correct Oil Type
Verify the vehicle has the correct oil. Refer to the Owner Manual or Service Information for information on recommended oil viscosity, and quality.
Crankcase Ventilation System
Verify that the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil use.
Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)
On vehicles that are normally driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient length to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Causes for Oil Consumption:
Aggressive Driving
Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds with high RPM's will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected. A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. Aggressive means; operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This driving habit will require the owner to check the engine oil level at frequent intervals, to verified the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. Oil level should be checked every time you get fuel.
Towing or Heavy Usage
Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal area trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds increasing the rate of oil consumption.
Engine Wear
Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, worn, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will cause an increase in oil consumption.
Engine Temperature
If an engine is run at overheated temperatures for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.

Unread 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Good post, thx! But I don't think mine has ever used that much but the wife's Hemi has.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Interesting. So by driving my car on the freeway at 70 mph, i'm entering the high oil consumption criteria. (3,000 rpm). Also by slowing down every single time I approach a stop sign, I'm also increasing oil consumption, since Jeep was so kind as to install engine braking contraptions on these things. Thanks alot engineers!
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Thanks for posting that... I have just over 800 miles on my new jeep... Guess I should start keeping a closer eye on the oil
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's pretty sad when Chrysler has such shoddy quality that pretty much an entire line of vehicles is affected by it.
Unread 07-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Many different vehicles use a little oil... Especially when run at higher RPMs. I have always considered checking the oil just as important as filling your tank with gas. Same goes for all fluids and air in your tires
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

1qt /2000miles for the first 50k. 1qt/750miles thereafter. If you drive nice and maintain it well. I'm shocked. How can this be? My Cherokee runs at 3k rpm or just under at 65mph. With 170k miles I doesn't burn any noticeable oil between 3k oil changes. Same with my old Ranger with over 200k. Both are 4 bangers and what I would consider high rpm on the highway. How can these new engines burn so much and be considered normal?
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I wonder if that rate is the "maximum" acceptable rate without considering it a problem, but not necessarily what everyone should expect? 1 qt every 750 miles seems like a ton though for a 50k car. You'd run out of oil between normal change intervals!
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.