Seriously only 255 miles on a full tank....? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Seriously only 255 miles on a full tank....?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 01-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
rightsmanaged
2007 MK Compass 

Seriously only 255 miles on a full tank....?

I am a new owner of a 2007 compass 4x4 with CVT. I am a photographer and was expecting to get great gas milage on a trip I took this weekend. Little to my surprise both times I filled the tank to full it was empty by 255/260 with the halfway reading at 155. Also I dont know if the RPMs are supposed to be this high or if its not shifting out of 4th gear ever. Whenever I am on the freeway (majority of the trip) the power band was always @ 35/4500 RPMs. Maybe this is why my milage sucks. Any help would be great. I surely thought this compass would have better milage on the highway than it does im only averaging 19 mpg. Bought the compass with 346 miles and now after the trip I have 1037 on the odometer and have had to fill up 4 times for those 700 miles

rightsmanaged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Are you filling up when the low fuel indicator goes off? If so, you have about 2 gallons still left. Does it take 11.5 or 13.5 to fill up? If it's 11.5 @ 255 miles that's 22.17, not too bad for not being broken in yet. What speeds are you running at. You'll do best to keep it under 70 on the highway and around town stop and go won't be wonderful either. Here's a link on my early mpg: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=28. Ill be back with another link or 2 a little later.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I drove my sister's Caliber R/T with the CVT and it was no where near 4500 rpm on the highway. That is way to high for just cruising around and not reving it. I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I checked mine coming home @ 60mph, sorry I couldn't do over that. Speed limits and all that.

4000 in 4th
3000 in 5th
2100 in 6th/D

Hope that helps some but I would take it in for diagnostic. Too many circuits that could go wrong.

Unread 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I checked mine coming home @ 60mph, sorry I couldn't do over that. Speed limits and all that.

4000 in 4th
3000 in 5th
2100 in 6th/D

Hope that helps some but I would take it in for diagnostic. Too many circuits that could go wrong.

i take it that the '4th, 5th and 6th' you refer to is using the AutoStick, since the CVT doesn't actually have any 'gears', right?

mine, without the Auto Stick, has NEVER gone over 3500-4000rpm on the highway that i've noticed and THAT was entering the highway from a ramp to get up to speed quickly. i was running between 70-75 on my trip to KC last Thanksgiving and got 26 MPG, but i drove by the tach and not the speedo.

we're going to St Louis this Saturday for a game and i'll check my MPG out again......strickly HIGHWAY MPG! i'll give you the results on Sunday......
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

"6 pre-programmed gear ratios" as stated here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...76&postcount=3 and yes AutoStick.

Unread 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsmanaged
I am a new owner of a 2007 compass 4x4 with CVT. I am a photographer and was expecting to get great gas milage on a trip I took this weekend. Little to my surprise both times I filled the tank to full it was empty by 255/260 with the halfway reading at 155. Also I dont know if the RPMs are supposed to be this high or if its not shifting out of 4th gear ever. Whenever I am on the freeway (majority of the trip) the power band was always @ 35/4500 RPMs. Maybe this is why my milage sucks. Any help would be great. I surely thought this compass would have better milage on the highway than it does im only averaging 19 mpg. Bought the compass with 346 miles and now after the trip I have 1037 on the odometer and have had to fill up 4 times for those 700 miles
You mentioned that it might not be shifting out of 4th gear. The only way it would be doing his if you hit the autostick and weren't paying attention. That would explain the high rpms.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It also may be an input or output speed sensor, the TCM, a transmission valve hanging up, the stepping motor and an assortment of other goodies. there are a lot of possibilities. Trouble shootng this one is most likely going to be with the codes and scanner. I would head for the dealer.

If you do have the AutoStick can you downshift to see what happens?

Unread 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
rightsmanaged
2007 MK Compass 

I dont think I have auto stick. I know the transmission is CVT and the only options I have to chose from are P R N D L and since it is 4x4 I have that nifty handle to lock in the transmission. It also has the ESP which stayed on the entire trip. - gramps the fuel tank is 13.4 and the sticker on the window from the dealership said something like 18 city and 28 hwy. I was averaging about 19 per gallon on a trip that used almost entirely all highway.
rightsmanaged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You don't have the AutoStick. It would have a +/- instead of the L. With the ESP being off (when the light is on) I believe that you have a problem for the dealer to fix at your earliest convenience. Not that it's unsafe to drive but it certainly isn't right and I wouldn't let it go too long. It sounds like it may be in a "fail safe" mode so you won't damage anything either.

Unread 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

rightsmanaged, I have the setup you have, P, R, N, D, L.

60-70 mph in D like to sit at 2100-2300 RPM although it goes up and down by itself to meet power needs. never tried over about 45 or so in "L" but it was still pulling at that point. maybe yours is stuck in "L" or, as Gramps says, its in failsafe mode.

I would hit the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.