sell me on the patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > sell me on the patriot

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
Jebby
2002 WJ 

sell me on the patriot

Looking at an 09 patriot vs an 09 liberty..... sell me....

Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

well that all depends on your needs/wants out of a vehicle. If you need an off road master, the libby is probably your best bet. if you need a good fuel economy daily driver, that can tackle some off road duty as well when asked. they the patriot is better. The patriot is as big, or in some cases bigger inside than the libby (at least I can fit 3 car seats in the back much easier than the patriot) it rides WAY nicer, (at least my 2012 does vs the 2012 libby I looked at)

if you haven't driven a CVT yet, it does take some getting used to. its not as different as say an auto vs a manual transmission, but it is different, and it does take some getting used to. Those who do get used to it love it, those who fight it, hate it, and get poor gas mileage. I love it, Its smooth and quick.

soooo we cant really sell it to you without knowing more about what you need/want out of a vehicle, Cuz if we sell it to you, and its not what you need/want, you'll hate it.
Unread 04-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

You need to drive them both and decide for yourself. They are very different vehicles. You know your needs best. Just the CVT tranny is a deal breaker for many. We love the CVT in our Compass. I have a friend with a Liberty, and it's a completely different platform. If you want me to sell you a vehicle, that means you would have to have the same driving preferences as I have. In that case, buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Jebby
2002 WJ 

im very torn. I prefer the ruggedness of the kk (im a TJ guy at heart with a WJ) but I like the fuel efficiency of the patriot. Its for my wife and she doesn't care and wont really offer any input. Also a bit worried about the patriot lasting more than a few years. I don't know
Unread 04-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

Well if its for your wife, and I bought our patriot for my wife, the patriot is the better choice I think. better fuel economy, easier to get in and out of (if she's short like my wife, its a big plus) but it still rides high like any other SUV, so she feels tall and safe. It has a better safety rating than the libby.

The power train is pretty bullet proof. That's one thing that all the review sites, who often hate on the patriot, begrudgingly admit to, that it has proven to be extremely reliable. The CVT is one found in a lot of other cars, and as long as it is maintained should last a good long time.

If you are buying used, always take a car to an independent mechanic to have it checked out first. The ball joins on the front are a common fail point, but they are on a libby too.

and if you don't think a patriot can be taken off road, you should really check out my youtube channel (link in sig) But as a taste, here is one of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR4K7U-JFro
I have the Freedom Drive II package which gives me factory skid plates, tow hooks, and a low range crawl. (not a real transfer case, but a lower gearing than a normal 4x4 patriot). but at a cost of MPG. its my wife's car and she averages about 600 miles a month on a big month when I take it off roading, If we don't its lucky to get 10 miles a week on it, so mpg are not too important.

Price is also important. so that is a factor as well, I could have bought a decently equipped libby for what my patriot cost me, but i bought the patriot in the end cuz i liked it more (I bought new).
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

aroundincircles, how often does your wife really even get to drive it? Be honest
BostonStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

haha... Often actually. Its the "family" car so it stays home with her. If she needs to run errands while I'm at work she uses the jeep. when I am home, she rarely drives. Habit I guess, my dad always drove so I drive, she also doesn't open her own car door when I am home, try to treat her well. But she is a stay at home mom, and we have 3 small kids (4, 2, and 6mo) and so any trip is a chore so she keeps them to a minimum.

She loves my car (2007 saab 9-5 aero wagon) so she'll steal it if she gets the chance. Like tomorrow she gets up at 4:30am to do a food coop, and the jeep will probably stay in the driveway, while she races the saab around. She kills my fuel economy average in the saab....
Unread 04-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

True Family Guy.
BostonStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Jebby
2002 WJ 

thanks guys, still hunting. that cvt is something different eh...... I drove one with a stick to see if the vehicle in general felt that "ghetto" or if that was the CVT. long story short im very sad the wife wont drive stick....... thinking im gunna go libby but if I find a good deal the patriot isn't completely out
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
aroundincircles
2012 MK Patriot 

I personally really like the CVT. the interior was MUCH upgraded in 2010 I believe, so if you are looking used, look at a 2010 and newer, also, there have been several software updates for the cvt, and they learn your driving style, and that can be reset by unhooking the battery for several minutes.

If its for your wife and she'll drive it 80% of the time or more, buy what ever makes her happiest
Unread 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
I personally really like the CVT. the interior was MUCH upgraded in 2010 I believe, so if you are looking used, look at a 2010 and newer, also, there have been several software updates for the cvt, and they learn your driving style, and that can be reset by unhooking the battery for several minutes.

If its for your wife and she'll drive it 80% of the time or more, buy what ever makes her happiest
2009 was the first year for the new interior, he's good.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.