Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Saw Compass Diesel

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CoriolisSTORM 
#1 ·
I own a CJ but thought some here might be interested.

Can't tell you where or why I saw it, but it is dressed (disguised) as you would expect for a future model and it has a VW (Yes VW) turbo diesel. I'd take pics but I respect the manufactures privacy. Still an interesting choice of power for a Jeep. Looks like they are expanding there options for future engines beyond MB diesels.

#2 ·
Houdini said:
I own a CJ but thought some here might be interested.

Can't tell you where or why I saw it, but it is dressed (disguised) as you would expect for a future model and it has a VW (Yes VW) turbo diesel. I'd take pics but I respect the manufactures privacy. Still an interesting choice of power for a Jeep. Looks like they are expanding there options for future engines beyond MB diesels.
I hate to brag, especially to the regulars who see me post here all the time, but i'm an MK Turbo Diesel owner from Australia. And yes, it has the VW sourced engine (2L Turbo Diesel), with the VGT. Same engine found in the VW Passat.

It is a very, very nice engine...... :2thumbsup:

#3 ·
I may be in the market in the next year for a higher MPG car then my KJ and TJ. I'd wait for a diesel, for sure. Hopefully the diesel would make it into the Caliber as well.

#4 ·
Euro MJs and Calibers get the 2.0L pumpe-Duse engine. Not quite the same as was in US spec Passats, while it was a 2.0L, the Passat engine was an 8 valve engine, Calibers and MKs get the 16 valve version. Of course both Pumpe-Duse engines, VWs new TDIs are going to be common rail, so I doubt we would get the same one.

#5 ·
Diesel variants of Jeep cars are quite common here in the UK. I've had two Cherokee turbo diesels and now have a Compass with the VW turbo diesel unit (2 litre).

With the ever increasing fuel costs, I guess it won't be long before they are available Stateside. Mine is averaging 43 mpg (that's imperial gallons, not US gallons).

#6 ·
Hi, to America.
I have the Compass 2L Diesel with 120 HP and 310 nM Color Steal Blue.
It is from VW Company The normal Power is 140 HP but only for Austria you can get 120 HP , it is because tax! .. sorry my Languarge..
If i have time i will take Pictures from the Engine.
by from Austria

#7 ·
We Need Diesel Jeeps In The States

I have a 4 banger wrangler right now and it gets 15-17 miles per gallon. It's terrible. When I'm offroad I don't think about it but I cringe when I watch the gas gauge go down as fast as it does. I don't get why they don't have diesel Wranglers. It would make sense since they don't need a lot of Horse Power and it would increase mileage to closely match the liberty diesel. If a patriot or compass has a diesel in it then I will definitely trade my wrangler in ASAP. I like it but it's just not practical if you use it on road 90% of the time.

#9 ·
I found it interesting touring around the link, especially Jeep Wins 4X4 Green Award and their comment:

We don't like everything they do, and they won't win awards for the quality of their plastics, but the bigger picture here is that Jeep have completely turned around their models' fuel consumption. And they have done it with nothing more than diesel engines. And that, for a company from the land of cheap gas with zero home demand for diesels, is a bigger deal than you may think.

There certainly is a demand, they REFUSE to offer them to us in the North America! The stereotype of the US consumers is that we want gas guzzlers; the truth is that we haven't been offered many alternatives. :thumbdown:

It really leads you to believe that US politicians and the Big 3 are in Big Oils back pocket.

#10 ·
A lot of Americans are turned off by diesels because of the initial offerings here in the states. The first oil burners the big three produced were nothing more than junk. There were poorly converted gasoline engines that never worked properly. Getting over the sterotype that diesels are crap has taken a long time, but I think we are finally getting there, the consumers anyway. Hopefully demand will create a supply.

#11 ·
Bgeddes said:
A lot of Americans are turned off by diesels because of the initial offerings here in the states. The first oil burners the big three produced were nothing more than junk. There were poorly converted gasoline engines that never worked properly. Getting over the stereotype that diesels are crap has taken a long time, but I think we are finally getting there, the consumers anyway. Hopefully demand will create a supply.
Absolutely true! After the first big gas crunch in the '70's all that we saw were a bunch of junk with added on smog equipment that never really worked well whether it was 4, 6, 8 cyl gas or diesel. The diesels were a noisy, hard stating, not suitable for public use power plant. The gas engines have come around to being acceptable but the diesel, that is installed in the same plants as the gas engines and shipped for export, aren't even offered to N.A. Is it Jeep or government regulations that keeps them off of our menu?

#12 ·
Depends on what state really. Some states as you all know are much harder to pass vehicles in. Even my beloved MB's own E 320 CDI Bluetec "the world's cleanest diesel" didn't pass in CA last time. Of course, Jeep saw that diesels would sell well when the CRD liberty far outsold their expectations for the states. I believe its a combination of the two. Many of our smog laws I think used to be (not sure about now) rather biased towards helping gas engines over diesels. Of course, with our new diesels NOX and particulates and such are much lower and sometimes some of the pollutant levels are better than the gasoline engines also offered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.