Rusty front spindles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rusty front spindles

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Rosco11
2007 MK Patriot 

Rusty front spindles

How cheap can Chrysler be??? So cheap that they don't even install a dust cap on the ends of the front spindles. So, during my attempt to install new rotors and pads, I first had to drill out the completely rusted in cotter pin, then chisel off the cheap metal retainer cap so I can get to the actual spindle nut. Then I had to wire brush the spindle nut so I could get my 1 1/4 socket completely onto the net. What a PAIN.

Rosco11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

There as cheap and GM,Ford,toyota,honda,kia,nissian,bmw,audi,vw,volvo ,and every company that makes vehicles as they all use the same setup.

You failed to keep your vehicle properly clean,a little surface rust is fine and can not be avoided but heavy corrosion can be avoided,simple as soap and water every 1-2 weeks regardless of the weather.
Unread 10-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Yeah plus...it's a "dust" cap. Not a "rust" cap.

$.02
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Yeah plus...it's a "dust" cap. Not a "rust" cap.

$.02
Yep and since your front bearings are sealed no need for it anyways.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco11 View Post
How cheap can Chrysler be??? So cheap that they don't even install a dust cap on the ends of the front spindles. So, during my attempt to install new rotors and pads, I first had to drill out the completely rusted in cotter pin, then chisel off the cheap metal retainer cap so I can get to the actual spindle nut. Then I had to wire brush the spindle nut so I could get my 1 1/4 socket completely onto the net. What a PAIN.
Maybe I missed something but there is no need to remove all of that just to do rotors and pads.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Rosco11
2007 MK Patriot 

Thanks for all the replys. It's been a very long time since I attempted to do my own brakes.
Rosco11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy246 View Post
Maybe I missed something but there is no need to remove all of that just to do rotors and pads.
I was just thinking the same thing.
wesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

When I did my brakes (front and rear) I found them to be the easiest to work on by far.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.