Rust on Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rust on Compass

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 12-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

Rust on Compass

Next week I'm getting rust repaired on my 2008 Metallic Black Jeep Compass. Top of passenger wheel well started to bubble this spring, starting from the metal wrapped into the well (pinch weld). Of course the dealership denied this as warranty work, got their hand written excuse. Ziebart paid out. Pics if anyone is interested.

DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLTC86 View Post
Next week I'm getting rust repaired on my 2008 Metallic Black Jeep Compass. Top of passenger wheel well started to bubble this spring, starting from the metal wrapped into the well (pinch weld). Of course the dealership denied this as warranty work, got their hand written excuse. Ziebart paid out. Pics if anyone is interested.
Any rust in a area that will recive impact damage no matter what you do besides not drive it is not covered under warranty,more so from the added salt which is also excluded from being covered.
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

The dealership denied coverage because it wasn't on a fender. Too bad it was also. Guess they can't stand by their product defect in such a short time span.
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
The dealership denied coverage because it wasn't on a fender. Too bad it was also. Guess they can't stand by their product defect in such a short time span.
Salt,salt,and more salt

Read the warranty manual,salt not covered.
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

How do they prove you drove it on salt?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
How do they prove you drove it on salt?
Just by where you live.Some states use salt on the roads in the winter time and unless you park your vehicle for 6 months your going to be driving on salt and having it splash everywhere.
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
shepd
2000 WJ 

In that case Chrysler shouldn't write up a warranty that includes any Northern States or Canada, period. Or they should instead have an optional "drive your car in the summer-time only" warranty. How sad. This is why I won't buy new cars! Worthless warranties make the high prices just plain nonsense.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
In that case Chrysler shouldn't write up a warranty that includes any Northern States or Canada, period. Or they should instead have an optional "drive your car in the summer-time only" warranty. How sad. This is why I won't buy new cars! Worthless warranties make the high prices just plain nonsense.
No poeple like you expect to much and complain about everything thinking everything is a warranty issue even 20 years down the road or something you caused.

If you don't want any corrosion issues from rust complain to your state since they are the ones using it,not Chrysler and send any repair bills to your state.
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
No poeple like you expect to much and complain about everything thinking everything is a warranty issue even 20 years down the road or something you caused.

If you don't want any corrosion issues from rust complain to your state since they are the ones using it,not Chrysler and send any repair bills to your state.
I agree that salt is the primary cause, however for rust to appear so soon Chrysler must have done a really lousy job of painting/rust proofing. My 07 Pontiac has spent 5 winters in PA (where they use plenty of salt) and has absolutely no body rust, the only rust of any kind is some very light surface rust on unpainted metal parts (bolt heads, etc.) and this is minimal, none of the bolts are rusted solid and I could easily remove them if necessary. Heck even my 17 year old XJ only had some minor surface rust in the passenger floor pan and this was on the inside from leaky weather stripping (this has since been taken care of with some RustBullet and new weather stripping), as well as some surface rust on hard parts (axles and springs) and unpainted metal parts.

Under no circumstances should any 4 year old vehicle have any kind of serious rust/corrosion issues unless it was parked under salt water. A 10 or 20 year old vehicle in a state that uses salt yes, but a 4 year old vehicle no-way.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

For the record it's garage kept, doesn't park outside. Wash an wax it regularly. No sitting in salt, accident or impact. I had a 13 year old Cherokee with zero rust. The rust started on a pinch weld that crept up into the fender. Jeep dealership hand wrote they won't cover it. Warranty doesn't say corrosion for that area. Ziebart claim is handling it. I just posted this to make aware to other owners of this issue. Not claiming who is right or wrong, hence this is an educational forum and enjoy reading the posts. I'll upload the before & after pictures when it's fixed.
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
shepd
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

Chrysler are the people who can just stop offering the warranty. We're not talking about a case of "the warranty has expired" here, we're talking about a case of "It's under warranty, but you see... ...you happen to live in the 50% of the US with snow, so... yeah... NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

I will reiterate: Companies like Chrysler are why I only buy used cars and will NEVER buy a new car, despite, if I wanted, being able to get a $50k car right now. I'd rather buy old used cars that are out of warranty and fix them all the time than have to deal with suing companies that don't live up to their warranty claims. You can blame the consumer as much as you like but it isn't going to get me to buy one. In fact, it just further convinces me never to do so.

I will say this, though. I would buy a new car if I could buy one with a taillight warranty IF they dropped the price to reflect the difference. I doubt that will happen, so used it is. Forever. That's a lot of money I get to keep. I think I will spend it on a nice used RV...
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
For the record it's garage kept, doesn't park outside. Wash an wax it regularly. No sitting in salt, accident or impact. I had a 13 year old Cherokee with zero rust. The rust started on a pinch weld that crept up into the fender. Jeep dealership hand wrote they won't cover it. Warranty doesn't say corrosion for that area. Ziebart claim is handling it. I just posted this to make aware to other owners of this issue. Not claiming who is right or wrong, hence this is an educational forum and enjoy reading the posts. I'll upload the before & after pictures when it's fixed.
Garaged kept accelerates the corrosion from salt since it is warmer in a garage then if it was sitting outside.Corrosion slows down the colder it is.

When you wash it do you wash the undercarriage? That is more important then the painted seen surfaces.Being a wheel well area small rocks thrown from your tires as you drive can and do chip the paint.
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

all these arguments skip past the point that the corrosion warranty does not cover any claim like this, regardless of where you live. that portion of the warranty will only cover defects in the paint, or rust issues if they start from the inside and work their way out.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd
They also shouldnt post EPA fuel mileage window stickers in states where you can't get ethanol free gas. There's alot of shady things they shouldn't do but they do anyway.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
shepd
2000 WJ 

I'd at least give them the MPG ratings. The EPA doesn't give Jeep a lot of choice in how those are gathered, they just do the test and print the results. Now, manufacturers HAVE been known to purposely rig the cars to drive in a fuel efficient manner when the EPA drives them, but I doubt Chrysler did that for the Jeep. Or, I HOPE they didn't.

And if the warranty says inside out, right there in black and white, well, fair enough I suppose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.