Rumble/Vibration underneath - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rumble/Vibration underneath

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 10-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
nightcrawlermc
2007 MK Patriot 

Rumble/Vibration underneath

My Patriot has been having a rumbling along with a slight vibration underneath. It started out kind of faint and off and on and only when I let my foot off the gas. When I accelerated it did not do it. Now it seems a little louder and doing it almost all of the time. Anyone have this problem or any ideas?

nightcrawlermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/c...-help-1270969/
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
nightcrawlermc
2007 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the link, but my noise is a little louder than a rattle in the rear end. You can hear it all the time now even with the radio on.
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Does it seem to come more from the front, center, rear, left or right? How many miles? FWD, FD I or FD II?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
nightcrawlermc
2007 MK Patriot 

It has 65000 miles I think it's the FDII, it's trail rated so I guess that's FDII. The noise has now turned into a grind/rattle/clank. Not all at the same time but at different times. Now when idling in drive there is a rattle/knock, not sure what you want to call it and it's definitely coming from the front. It almost sounds like a knock in the motor, but when you shift into neutral or park it goes away so I wouldn't guess it's the motor. It's going to the shop today. I'm the only owner so it's still under the lifetime powertrain warranty. Has anybody had any problems getting them to honor the warranty? I've done all the service myself, but I have kept all the receipts and wrote down the miles in the maintenance manual so I hope they don't try to back out.
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I have heard that they do cover the warranty very well. Keep us informed on your progress please!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
nightcrawlermc
2007 MK Patriot 

Well, I feel kind of foolish because I didn't look at it closer before I took it to the dealer, but it was raining and the sound was getting worse. What they found was a wood chisel lodged in between the skid plate and oil pan, and it was not mine. Apparently when I had my ball joints replaced (by a local mechanic, not the dealer) they must have used a chisel for something and somehow left it on the skid plate. One more reason why I prefer to work on vehicles myself, but I didn't have time to do the ball joints either. I'll have to start making time. At least the dealer didn't charge me anything to remove the chisel.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.