Roof Racks and Baskets and Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Roof Racks and Baskets and Mileage

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
safaribabe

Roof Racks and Baskets and Mileage

I had someone recently say that the cross rails of the roof rack can eat up as much as 2-3 mpg having them mounted. Can anyone confirm this or provide links to studies in this? What about baskets? I am sure they do as much more metal and drag is involved but I was surprised at the roof rack cross bars.

I am about to get the Rola roof rack basket and the Platypus soft cargo carrier bag. If anyone has the basket, are you happy with it? Did you get the extension as well?

safaribabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have the Mopar crossrails on my Jeep all the time - haven't noticed any loss of MPH yet still hovers around 22

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

I've got the cross rails as well but only put them on if I am going to need them. It is easier to clear the snow off the car without them and the SAT radio works better....

I did notice a bit more wind noise with them installed but no real difference in fuel economy...
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
UTAH

I took the rails off both the ltd. MK's I bought. There's the MPG considerations (even though I think it's small) and there's the snow issue as well. I can understand leaving them on if they're actually used, but if not...

Bill
Unread 04-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
Stargazer79
2008 MK Compass 

I've got the Sport Utility bars on my Compass, and have noticed no significant drop in mileage or increase in noise.. The increase in frontal and wetted area from the bars themselves (compared to the vehicle without) should have a fairly minimal drag impact.. save for, perhaps, some vortex effects from the mounts they shouldn't produce _that_ much drag. (Unless you're planning on taking your compass supersonic any time soon.)
Slap a Thule Atlantis 1600 roof box up there, and then you're talking nontrivial drag effects..
Hmm, wondering if I could build a wind tunnel model of my Jeep now.. :P

~No Longer Breathlessly anticipating my '08 Rallye, now just enjoying the [Expletive Deleted] out of it.~
Stargazer79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.