Rock Crawler Review - Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rock Crawler Review - Patriot

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 03-27-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Rock Crawler Review - Patriot

Good review in Rock Crawler without the Compass slamming of Motor Trends.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...rive/index.asp

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

very informative!
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
sracer

Nice review. Pity that the author felt the need to "explain himself" to the Jeep snobs who would be reading the review. I know it was necessary, just sad.

See the But It's Not Hard-Core section.
[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
groovyone
1998 XJ Cl***ic

Thanks for the link. That was a good read.
Unread 04-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
Nice review. Pity that the author felt the need to "explain himself" to the Jeep snobs who would be reading the review. I know it was necessary, just sad.

See the But It's Not Hard-Core section.
When you compare anything to the Wranglers and it's predecessors, nothing is hard core unless it's been modified. Why should Jeep build something to knock them off of the iconic pedestal that they've been on for years? For those of us on a more conservative budget and needs, these fill the void that Jeep has been missing out on. Other manufacturers have been eroding on Jeeps SUV market for years, it's time that Jeep starts eroding on theirs, namely AWD. Jeep also goes one better and gives you a 4WD lock mode.

I especially liked the run across the desert with the FD I, for which it is perfectly suited, and then switched to the FD II to go real rock climbing. I do wish that they had taken BOTH on the rock climbing just so that they could fairly compare the two and what the gains were with the FD II package. Really too bad you can't order the "Off-road package" with the skid plates, etc without getting the CVT with crawl ratio. I'm sure that package would be a good combination for a lot of folks. Time to twist your own wrenches. How does that go, righty tighty, lefty loosy?

Regardless, it's a great read! Hat's off to Rock Crawler.

Last edited by Gramps; 04-07-2007 at 03:13 PM..
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
sracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
When you compare anything to the Wranglers and it's predecessors, nothing is hard core unless it's been modified. Why should Jeep build something to knock them off of the iconic pedestal that they've been on for years? For those of us on a more conservative budget and needs, these fill the void that Jeep has been missing out on. Other manufacturers have been eroding on Jeeps SUV market for years, it's time that Jeep starts eroding on theirs, namely AWD. Jeep also goes one better and gives you a 4WD lock mode.
I agree! I'm loving my Limited Patriot and for some reason reminds me of the Willys Wagons of the 50's that I'm so fond of. Those old wagons were marketed as affordable, roomy, and good on gas... exactly the 3 points that the Patriot has going for it.

I just thought it was sad that the author felt the need to apologize to the "hard-core" Jeep contingent. Nobody, including Jeep, needs to apologize for the Patriot. IMO anyways.
[/url][/SIZE]
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
I agree! I'm loving my Limited Patriot and for some reason reminds me of the Willys Wagons of the 50's that I'm so fond of. Those old wagons were marketed as affordable, roomy, and good on gas... exactly the 3 points that the Patriot has going for it.

I just thought it was sad that the author felt the need to apologize to the "hard-core" Jeep contingent. Nobody, including Jeep, needs to apologize for the Patriot. IMO anyways.
My first Willys experience was with Willys Wagon during my HS days in Tucson in the mid 60's. It belonged to a friend and was used sometimes as the cruise mobile. You've got a LOT more luxury and better ride with the Patriot!

My second Willys was a '37 Coupe with a small Hemi (does that count?) and the 3rd was owned by a Dude Ranch where I worked. They had a CJ2A that they dropped a 260 Ford into. Ahhh, the good old days! Always good to hear from happy owners. Enjoy your ride!

If I can modify my MK to do 90% of what a Wrangler can do, I'll be real happy but I'm very satisfied with how it's handled everything so far. I also love the CVT! Think that I'm going with the K & N set-up for some quick HP gains this summer. Check it out in the Compass section if you get a chance.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/k-n-aircharger-high-flow-intake-cold-air-intake-merged-397452/

Last edited by Gramps; 04-08-2007 at 08:49 AM..
Unread 04-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
sracer

Quote:
My first Willys experience was with Willys Wagon during my HS days in Tucson in the mid 60's. It belonged to a friend and was used sometimes as the cruise mobile. You've got a LOT more luxury and better ride with the Patriot!

I can still feel the steel coils through the straw stuffing in those seats. Painted steel floor with real wood slats. Steering wheel whose diameter rivals that of an old Greyhound bus! Storage compartment under the seats. Good times.

Quote:
If I can modify my MK to do 90% of what a Wrangler can do, I'll be real happy but I'm very satisfied with how it's handled everything so far. I also love the CVT! Think that I'm going with the K & N set-up for some quick HP gains this summer. Check it out in the Compass section if you get a chance.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397452

Thanks for the heads-up.
[/url][/SIZE]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.