Rock Crawler Review - Patriot - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville
Posts: 5,623
Rock Crawler Review - Patriot

Good review in Rock Crawler without the Compass slamming of Motor Trends.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...rive/index.asp




Bob

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Coasty161
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Huron, MI
Posts: 393
very informative!
Coasty161 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-06-2007, 09:03 AM
sracer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 33
Nice review. Pity that the author felt the need to "explain himself" to the Jeep snobs who would be reading the review. I know it was necessary, just sad.

See the But It's Not Hard-Core section.

Tom Perconti
2007 Patriot : Green : Limited : 4x4 : CVT/FDI : Personally Trail-Rated
(aka SpeedRacer - Lancelot of the Information Superhighway)
sracer is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 04-07-2007, 01:31 PM
groovyone
1998 XJ Cl***ic
 
groovyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 267
Thanks for the link. That was a good read.

"The difference between genius and stupidity it that genius has its limits."
groovyone is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 04-07-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville
Posts: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
Nice review. Pity that the author felt the need to "explain himself" to the Jeep snobs who would be reading the review. I know it was necessary, just sad.

See the But It's Not Hard-Core section.
When you compare anything to the Wranglers and it's predecessors, nothing is hard core unless it's been modified. Why should Jeep build something to knock them off of the iconic pedestal that they've been on for years? For those of us on a more conservative budget and needs, these fill the void that Jeep has been missing out on. Other manufacturers have been eroding on Jeeps SUV market for years, it's time that Jeep starts eroding on theirs, namely AWD. Jeep also goes one better and gives you a 4WD lock mode.

I especially liked the run across the desert with the FD I, for which it is perfectly suited, and then switched to the FD II to go real rock climbing. I do wish that they had taken BOTH on the rock climbing just so that they could fairly compare the two and what the gains were with the FD II package. Really too bad you can't order the "Off-road package" with the skid plates, etc without getting the CVT with crawl ratio. I'm sure that package would be a good combination for a lot of folks. Time to twist your own wrenches. How does that go, righty tighty, lefty loosy?

Regardless, it's a great read! Hat's off to Rock Crawler.

Bob

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 04-07-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Gramps is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-07-2007, 05:54 PM
sracer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
When you compare anything to the Wranglers and it's predecessors, nothing is hard core unless it's been modified. Why should Jeep build something to knock them off of the iconic pedestal that they've been on for years? For those of us on a more conservative budget and needs, these fill the void that Jeep has been missing out on. Other manufacturers have been eroding on Jeeps SUV market for years, it's time that Jeep starts eroding on theirs, namely AWD. Jeep also goes one better and gives you a 4WD lock mode.
I agree! I'm loving my Limited Patriot and for some reason reminds me of the Willys Wagons of the 50's that I'm so fond of. Those old wagons were marketed as affordable, roomy, and good on gas... exactly the 3 points that the Patriot has going for it.

I just thought it was sad that the author felt the need to apologize to the "hard-core" Jeep contingent. Nobody, including Jeep, needs to apologize for the Patriot. IMO anyways.

Tom Perconti
2007 Patriot : Green : Limited : 4x4 : CVT/FDI : Personally Trail-Rated
(aka SpeedRacer - Lancelot of the Information Superhighway)
sracer is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2007, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville
Posts: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
I agree! I'm loving my Limited Patriot and for some reason reminds me of the Willys Wagons of the 50's that I'm so fond of. Those old wagons were marketed as affordable, roomy, and good on gas... exactly the 3 points that the Patriot has going for it.

I just thought it was sad that the author felt the need to apologize to the "hard-core" Jeep contingent. Nobody, including Jeep, needs to apologize for the Patriot. IMO anyways.
My first Willys experience was with Willys Wagon during my HS days in Tucson in the mid 60's. It belonged to a friend and was used sometimes as the cruise mobile. You've got a LOT more luxury and better ride with the Patriot!

My second Willys was a '37 Coupe with a small Hemi (does that count?) and the 3rd was owned by a Dude Ranch where I worked. They had a CJ2A that they dropped a 260 Ford into. Ahhh, the good old days! Always good to hear from happy owners. Enjoy your ride!

If I can modify my MK to do 90% of what a Wrangler can do, I'll be real happy but I'm very satisfied with how it's handled everything so far. I also love the CVT! Think that I'm going with the K & N set-up for some quick HP gains this summer. Check it out in the Compass section if you get a chance.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/k-n-aircharger-high-flow-intake-cold-air-intake-merged-397452/


Bob

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 04-08-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Gramps is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-08-2007, 05:05 PM
sracer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
My first Willys experience was with Willys Wagon during my HS days in Tucson in the mid 60's. It belonged to a friend and was used sometimes as the cruise mobile. You've got a LOT more luxury and better ride with the Patriot!

I can still feel the steel coils through the straw stuffing in those seats. Painted steel floor with real wood slats. Steering wheel whose diameter rivals that of an old Greyhound bus! Storage compartment under the seats. Good times.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
If I can modify my MK to do 90% of what a Wrangler can do, I'll be real happy but I'm very satisfied with how it's handled everything so far. I also love the CVT! Think that I'm going with the K & N set-up for some quick HP gains this summer. Check it out in the Compass section if you get a chance.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397452

Thanks for the heads-up.

Tom Perconti
2007 Patriot : Green : Limited : 4x4 : CVT/FDI : Personally Trail-Rated
(aka SpeedRacer - Lancelot of the Information Superhighway)
sracer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Jeep Patriot Moab Rock Crawling AZmtnmedicXJ Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 3 04-20-2009 02:52 PM
Jeep Patriot Extreme Rock Crawling Video AZmtnmedicXJ Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 6 03-21-2009 08:48 AM
Another Review... parajeep Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 5 07-24-2008 05:42 PM
getting patriot, can't decide color! (how is the patriot?) taseal Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 20 02-08-2008 11:46 PM
Just finished review on Compass Michelle_W Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 39 11-29-2007 08:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome