Researching Patriots for my Mother (Few Questions From a ZJ Owner) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Researching Patriots for my Mother (Few Questions From a ZJ Owner)

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 07-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Researching Patriots for my Mother (Few Questions From a ZJ Owner)

Intro:

I am starting to do my research on possible new vehicle options for my mother. My father travels full time, so I guess this is now my responsibility. She is currently driving a 2005 Subaru Legacy Outback. I would really like to see her in something a little more reliable, we have put more repairs into this 05 than I have put into my 98 ZJ. That being said, as far as Jeeps go, I think the Patriot would suit her well, but I don't know to much about them mechanically.

Questions:

1. Freedom Drive I & II

If my understanding is correct, Freedom Drive I is an AWD System by default and has a Part-Time 4WD Option. And the only addition Freedom Drive II has is 4-Low. Correct?

2. Engine

As I have never driven anything under 185HP in my life, I don't really have any reference point as to how this will drive. How is the 2.4 on the highway? Do you feel any power behind it after 70mph? Or does it trail off around 70mph. I have an I6 in my ZJ, and after 75mph (Given it's only a 4spd), the power just isn't there anymore. I don't exactly want my mother driving 85mph, but I want her to have the option to do so

3. Drivetrain

Obviously I can't expect comments as to how many years it's going to last indefinitely, since the vehicle is technically still new. What are they using for Axles Front and Rear? Do AWD vehicles still have U-Joints or CV-Joints, or are they something else now? Any known issues yet as far as Drivetrain in general?

4. Interior

I've only been in one once, it wasn't to bad. Not my taste, but it's not for me anyways. How are the seats over long trips? I guess that's really my only question there..

5. Body

What's the tire size on these?

6. Anything else I should know as far as issues found?

Just trying to cover all the bases here. She keeps her vehicles for about 13 years. This Subaru will be the first one to go before that mark.

Thanks for bearing through the long Post, any and all responses are welcome and appreciated!!

Unread 07-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

A lot of your questions can be answered here: http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/patriot/...ed&color=black
here: http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/patriot/2014/?sub=suv
and here: http://www.cars.com/jeep/patriot/2014/
As for individual opinions, what you'll find on a forum like this is people who've had problems telling you they're junk, and people who haven't had a problem telling you they're great. We've owned a 2008 Compass since we bought it new (it's a very similar vehicle) and aside from some front suspension problems a few years ago it's been bulletproof. The '14 patriot has some completely different drivetrain components, so I can't vouch for them, but initial reports are positive. Read up on the Patriot and then take your mom to a dealer and let her test drive a couple of them and see what she thinks.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The FD2 has a lower final drive ratio. So it runs at higher rpm at all speeds. It stays in the lowest of the low IF both in 4wd and Low Gear/Off Road mode.

The 2014 FD1 is available with a 6 speed auto which I'm 95% sure without driving it will be faster than any cvt version.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
As for individual opinions, what you'll find on a forum like this is people who've had problems telling you they're junk, and people who haven't had a problem telling you they're great.
That's the whole point of asking; I will take from both sides and my own to formulate an opinion. If I only talked to the people who loved them, or only talked to the people who have had issues with them, I wouldn't get very far. As long as they say more than, "I love them" and "I hate them".

As for the Compass, personally I like the way it looks. My mother on the other hand, not so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
The FD2 has a lower final drive ratio. So it runs at higher rpm at all speeds. It stays in the lowest of the low IF both in 4wd and Low Gear/Off Road mode.

The 2014 FD1 is available with a 6 speed auto which I'm 95% sure without driving it will be faster than any cvt version.

Good to know on FD2

I really hope CVT isn't going to be standard any time soon, I've driven a few rentals that had it, and I hate it..
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My Dad has a CVT in a Maxima that works fine. I don't see them becoming standard. I think different companies are trying them in different applications, and seeing what works and what doesn't. And what customers like and what they don't.

The downside to my FD2 is the constantly high rpm/low mpg associated with it. It runs 2800/3000/3200 rpm at 65/70/75. Its like a car with no overdrive. But I got an extra inch ground clearance and a 140 amp alternator, which is what I wanted. And not available on any other car in this price range far as I know. I also bought the lifetime service contract. Bumper to bumper warranty basically forever. I think only Chrysler offers that.
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
The downside to my FD2 is the constantly high rpm/low mpg associated with it. It runs 2800/3000/3200 rpm at 65/70/75
So what are you truly getting for mpg; somewhere around 25mpg mixed?
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Not even. About 17 city 23 highway. 14-15 city with AC on. California gas is all 10% Ethanol. EPA numbers are 100% gas.

FD2 is rated at 20/23. I've never got 20 in 20,000 miles.
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Not even. About 17 city 23 highway. 14-15 city with AC on. California gas is all 10% Ethanol. EPA numbers are 100% gas.

FD2 is rated at 20/23. I've never got 20 in 20,000 miles.
That's nuts. My 98 ZJ gets 17 city...It's 10% Ethanol up here in NH too.
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

It's the only explanation anybody can come up with why I don't get 20.
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

We went from a Forester to the Patriot. A year later, I got a 2wd Patriot as a company vehicle, so now we have two in the driveway.

Ours is a 5 speed, because we are a family that shifts our own gears. It's an '08, so has the older more plasticky interior. It currently has 105,000 on it, and is quiet and rattle free. Power is comparable to the Subaru; adequate, but in the upper RPM ranges it just makes more noise than power. It's the kind of vehicle that goes faster than you think it is; on-ramps seem like you're accelerating leisurely but it's actually zipped up to 70 mph before you realize it. While you can always want of more power, it really doesn't need it (the 2.4 anyway). Shifter isn't nearly as clunky as I expected and clutch is easy to modulate. It has more shoulder room than the Subaru but may seem a little more cramped at the knee/dash area if you're long legged. Handles better than you'd expect. AWD system is primary to the front wheels so drives like a FWD car most of the time (so it's less tail happy weird than the 50/50 Subaru).

The CVT equipped 4x2 company car is a Limited with leather and so forth. Drives exactly the same. The CVT which I expected to despise is actually quite good. It's very pleasant to drive and acceleration is good. The only thing I don't like is initial throttle application can be jerky; a bit of an on/off switch unless you are subtle with initial application. Having had this one, I would not refuse to buy one with the CVT if the 5 speed wasn't available.

Gas mileage is about the same regardless of which drivetrain system you wind up with. Mid 20s is about the norm; highway you'll see upper 20s. Better mileage than the Forester it replaced but that's a result of gearing; the Suby turned far more RPMs at 70 than the Jeep does. You'll spend money on the Patriot over time; the ball joints are notorious for failing, I had to replace rattly sway bar end links and one rear wheel bearing crapped out at around 90,000 but no car is perfect. No timing belt to replace nor head gasket failures like the Subaru. The Patriot is a far better vehicle than people give it credit and a bargain in the marketplace compared to the overpriced Subarus.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
We went from a Forester to the Patriot. A year later, I got a 2wd Patriot as a company vehicle, so now we have two in the driveway.

Ours is a 5 speed, because we are a family that shifts our own gears. It's an '08, so has the older more plasticky interior. It currently has 105,000 on it, and is quiet and rattle free. Power is comparable to the Subaru; adequate, but in the upper RPM ranges it just makes more noise than power. It's the kind of vehicle that goes faster than you think it is; on-ramps seem like you're accelerating leisurely but it's actually zipped up to 70 mph before you realize it. While you can always want of more power, it really doesn't need it (the 2.4 anyway). Shifter isn't nearly as clunky as I expected and clutch is easy to modulate. It has more shoulder room than the Subaru but may seem a little more cramped at the knee/dash area if you're long legged. Handles better than you'd expect. AWD system is primary to the front wheels so drives like a FWD car most of the time (so it's less tail happy weird than the 50/50 Subaru).

The CVT equipped 4x2 company car is a Limited with leather and so forth. Drives exactly the same. The CVT which I expected to despise is actually quite good. It's very pleasant to drive and acceleration is good. The only thing I don't like is initial throttle application can be jerky; a bit of an on/off switch unless you are subtle with initial application. Having had this one, I would not refuse to buy one with the CVT if the 5 speed wasn't available.

Gas mileage is about the same regardless of which drivetrain system you wind up with. Mid 20s is about the norm; highway you'll see upper 20s. Better mileage than the Forester it replaced but that's a result of gearing; the Suby turned far more RPMs at 70 than the Jeep does. You'll spend money on the Patriot over time; the ball joints are notorious for failing, I had to replace rattly sway bar end links and one rear wheel bearing crapped out at around 90,000 but no car is perfect. No timing belt to replace nor head gasket failures like the Subaru. The Patriot is a far better vehicle than people give it credit and a bargain in the marketplace compared to the overpriced Subarus.
All very good to hear. Thank you for a full spectrum review, much appreciated. My mother will not be driving a stick. She would love to, but I have seen her behind the wheel of a stick, it's not pretty..She's getting the 6-Speed. Lol

I'm glad to hear that power on the highway isn't an issue, that was one of my primary concerns. I understand that no vehicle is perfect, although it would be lovely to find one someday, those issue don't seem to bad. A lot of that I could do myself.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.