Replacing License Plate Light - '08 Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Replacing License Plate Light - '08 Compass

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
ssapmoc

Replacing License Plate Light - '08 Compass

After spending nearly an hour attempting to remove a license plate light bulb I gave up. I'm not a neophyte at car repair nor am I a shade tree mechanic but this is ridiculous! Not having acquired the repair manual I had to resort to the car owner's manual. The instructions have you rotate the bulb socket a quarter turn, pull the bulb and socket out from it's position and replace the bulb. In fact, I immediately knew that once the socket was turned a quarter turn it was going to move towards the interior of the space; not "out" as indicated in the car owner's manual. The socket has a large rubber base behind it that prevents it from being pulled out from it's location. If the bulb is meant to be removed from it's socket while in situ well it wouldn't come out. Access must only be had from behind the panel. I went so far as to remove the entire plastic facia behind the hatch only to find the socket still inaccessable. It would appear that the exterior plastic housing for the hatch latch and bulbs must be removed. Anyone have a clue?

ssapmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

REMOVAL
NOTE: The following procedure is for replacement of a license plate lamp bulb. The license plate lamps are integral to the liftgate handle and light bar unit. If any part of this unit is ineffective or damaged, the entire handle and light bar unit must be replaced.

Fig 1.
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Reach under the liftgate handle and light bar unit (2) to access and depress the latch tab (3) on the outboard side of the license plate lamp lens toward the lens (1).
3. Pull the outboard side of the lens downward far enough to disengage the two tabs on the inboard side of the lens from the lamp housing.
4. Remove the lens from under the handle and light bar.

Fig 2.
5. Firmly grasp and pull the bulb (1) straight out of the socket (2) in the outboard side of the lamp housing.

Installation

Fig 2.
1. Align the base of the bulb (1) with the socket (2) in the outboard side of the license plate lamp housing.
2. Push the bulb straight into the socket until the base is firmly seated.

Fig 1.
3. Position the lens (1) over the lamp housing under the handle and light bar unit (2).
4. Engage the two tabs on the inboard side of the lens into the slots on the inboard side of the lamp housing.
5. Push the outboard side of the lens upward until the lens latch tab (3) is fully engaged in the lamp housing.
6. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
fig-1.jpg   fig-2.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
ssapmoc

Thanks Gramps! Perhaps a wrap of duct tape around the bulb will help to work it free!
Unread 12-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

whats the bulb number for that? I'm looking at upgrading all my lights (interior and plate) to LED's

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
ssapmoc

It's a W5W.
Unread 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
nick8387
2008 MK Compass 

the bulb number i came up with is a 17177. but it may be different depending on where you purchase the bulb from.
nick8387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
madrabbitt

(be sure and disconnect the - from the battery)

If you use a pair of pliers, crush the bulb carefully, and use the pliers to work the base of the bulb out of the socket, its pretty much the easiest way.

even on a relatively new vehicle, the bulb tends to heat up the rubber holder and get stuck to it, so its hard to work it out.

Since the bulb is burnt out anyway, why bother trying to get it out nicely.

Also, dispite the many bulb numbers i *think* it should have the typical 5 watt wedge base shared with 168 and 192 bulbs... let me confirm that though.

If so, then i'll tell you what LEDs to get (same as mine, i think)

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
madrabbitt

Yeah, its a 2825, which is a W5W wedge base, 5 watt bulb.

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

Thats the one i used for my liscense plate and front map lights on the WJ.

Its $20 for the pair, but its awesomely bright... hell, on mine, it lights up the ground behind the truck like a set of flood lights

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

I was looking at these

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

along with replacing the rest of my interior bulbs from them...

Unread 12-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
madrabbitt

the ones i linked to are brighter (and 9 bucks more per pair)

But those would work as well.

v-leds is a great vendor too, i order pretty much all my automotive leds from them... in fact, i was looking at my order history on google checkout, and i've ordered about $500 worth over the last year or so... mostly for my WJ.

Unread 12-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah it's already looks like it's gonna cost a fortune to upgrade all my lights

plus Mopar apparently offers an interior LED kit (footwells, glovebox etc) too

Unread 12-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent33 View Post
Yeah it's already looks like it's gonna cost a fortune to upgrade all my lights

plus Mopar apparently offers an interior LED kit (footwells, glovebox etc) too
compare the cost of the kit to the cost of the individual bulbs.

Also, i replaced all my interior ones with LEDs, and i used the high flux ones in the footwells, and i'm really really happy with them

Unread 07-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

So I replaced my license plate bulbs with some LED's from V-LEDS.COM | LED Dome, Map, License Plate, Reverse, DRL, Turn Signal, Brake Lights and unfortunately the driver side bulb socket is oriented in the wrong direction (the passenger side allows the LED's to point down)

just a heads up for those going with a flat SMT LED array like this

Unread 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
shmup-o
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent33 View Post
So I replaced my license plate bulbs with some LED's from V-LEDS.COM | LED Dome, Map, License Plate, Reverse, DRL, Turn Signal, Brake Lights and unfortunately the driver side bulb socket is oriented in the wrong direction (the passenger side allows the LED's to point down)
Can you elaborate a bit more on the orientation? Are you saying that you installed it incorrectly or the LED installed on the driver side does not look good?
shmup-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
madrabbitt

i swear i replied to that way back when.

The leds are mounted to one side of the board only.

Rotate the socket 180 degrees.

Tags
compass , license light , mk , patriot

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.