Replacement battery for MK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Replacement battery for MK

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

Replacement battery for MK

Hi,

I'm assuming we can fit only batteries from group size 25, 75 and 86 onto the battery tray in MK. I wish to know what's the minimum required CCA for the battery?

I'm on my 4th battery now, and it just died...... ok not exactly dead but it's not 'strong' enough to crank the engine

addendum:
Sorry, I actually meant to ask: 'What batteries are you people having?'

Beware is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Sounds like you're hard on batteries. Our factory battery lasted 4 years in our '08 Compass. We replaced it with the same battery. If you want to go a little extreme, may I suggest something like this: http://www.carid.com/2007-jeep-compa...y-4406773.html
jacko15 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

Yeah that's a good battery with CCA 720 Amps. I was looking at that too but unfortunately I'm unable to get it at my location. I do not know what our factory battery was, as it got swapped out within months after I've got my MK.

Here's my dead battery:
dsc_2903-1000x750-.jpg  
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
jacko15
2014 WK 

450 CCA isn't much. Can you get Mopar original equipment? Just looked at your location, and I'm afraid I probably can't be of much help, but I wouldn't bother with a battery under 600 CCA.
jacko15 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

Note that the OP is in Singapore. What's the climate there and what batteries are available?

My new 2014 Pat with 2.4 l engine comes with a 525 CCA battery. I'm not sure of the group size, but it looks pretty small. Interstate lists it as a group 86, but I have also seen group 25,26, and 35 as fitting (confirm yourself).

Bigger CCA is not always better. With case size remaining the same, a 700 CCA plus battery will have more, but thinner and more tightly spaced plates compared to a smaller CCA battery. The thinner, more tightly packed plates MIGHT have less longevity, especially in hotter climates.

You don't need the higher CCA's in warm climates. So, it's a trade off.

The worst enemies of car batteries are heat and repeated draw down of the battery (lights left on, etc.), which kills them quickly.

I wonder if the location of the Pat's battery contributes to higher heat?

My opinion would be not to go more than one CCA size up (640CCA +/-) because of the plate info given above.

Also, regarding Optima batteries. Since Johnson Controls took over manufacturing of this battery, the internet buzz is that quality has suffered greatly. Just a statement not based on experience. Check it out yourself.
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

I've found a suitable battery after much searching for the past few days

Thanks for all the suggestions, hope this one will last
dsc_2965.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.