Replace Airbag Diagnostic/Control Module & Sensors on Compass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Replace Airbag Diagnostic/Control Module & Sensors on Compass?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Atlantisx

Replace Airbag Diagnostic/Control Module & Sensors on Compass?

I have a 2009 Jeep Compass Sport (2.4L 4-cyl.). I hit a turkey the other morning, and although it did no damage whatsoever to the car, the airbag light came on, but the bags did not deploy (I later unhooked the battery but the light remains on). My local dealer looked at it and said that I need to replace the module (Part # 4896623AE) and both front impact sensors (Part # 4896061AB).

I am wondering first of all, why did the airbags not deploy if the impact was bad enough for it to damage those components? Does that mean there is something wrong with the bag or inflator themselves and they should have went off? If I replace these parts, I'm now worried that I'll believe that I'll have working airbags when I really don't, since they didn't deploy before. I just havenít heard of this before.

Also, is it really feasible that no damage was done to the body of the car, yet those parts are now bad? I'm not saying that the dealer is trying to cheat me, but it makes me wonder how all that could now need to be replaced, and perhaps not just the sensors (especially considering the dealerís high prices)? What do you guys think? Iím reluctant to take it to another place to be hooked up somewhere, since thatís throwing more money at it without fixing the problem yet.

Thanks for the opinions.

Atlantisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The airbag module records impact and "near" impact data that can be used to reconstruct a accident scene.When It saves that data the light will come on and no way of turning it off till you replace the module.Replacing the sensors is a must as they use nano-tech in them and are very fragile.Some airbag modules also must be programmed via a dealer scan tool also when installing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.