Rented a Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rented a Compass

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rented a Compass

I had a Compass for the last day while my car was in the shop. Here are my thougts of it. The Compass does feel like the crossover it is. Not quite as tall as an SUV, but taller than a car. The one I had was front wheel drive. In a light rain it was very easy to spin the tires. I attribute that to the CVT transmission. When you initially give it gas there is a noticeable lag before it starts going, so you give it more gas and then in the rain the tires spin. It does have traction control, but it didn't kick in before I let off the gas. The engine is a 2.4 4 cylinder. It is a very noisy engine and with the CVT when you give it much gas it goes straight up to redline and stays there buzzing away. The car is not quick in any sense of the word. It might be somewhat better with a normal automatic instead of the CVT. The handling is very mushy. More so than my Galant, which is pretty much a mush-box itself.

The interior is just okay. The seats are average in comfort. There are a lot of hard plastics in the interior. The radio does have an aux input. The rear seats have plenty of leg room even when I have the front seats scooted back. My son and his car seat fit well behind me. The hatch area is good sized for the size of the vehicle and has a hard plastic load floor. They keyless entry is integrated into the key.

While the Compass is not a bad vehicle I really don't care much it. The engine feel and performance were not up to standards of cars such as the Mazda3.

Unread 07-11-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert
In a light rain it was very easy to spin the tires. The car is not quick in any sense of the word. The handling is very mushy.
Sounds like it's quick enough to spin the tires. Sure sound like "drive it like it's a rental".

Guess that I should have mine looked at, it's hard to spin the tires even in the snow and it's comfortable and quiet. There are "lemon laws"!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Jason31

Sounds to me like you didn't give the vehicle a chance to begin with. Also, the CVT should be quicker than a normal auto transmission.

I find the seats to be comfortable. I'm 6'2, about 200 lbs. Vehicle suits me. It does need more power, but I'm working on that.
Unread 07-11-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

From a little I've read here it does seem like the slow start issue has a service bulletin out for it. The rental car had 12000 miles on it so it was probably an early production vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.