JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Reliability issues? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/reliability-issues-389528/)

magic626 03-17-2007 07:10 PM

Reliability issues?

Coming from a 3000gt VR4, I've literally spent over 10,000 over 4 years just to maintain/ fix the damn thing. I'm seriously considering getting a jeep compass rallye edition and I was wondering if jeeps were known to hold their reliability? My mechanic says its a absolute NO and does not want me to get it, but I really want the compass. Can anyone with experience with the jeep brand give me some comments?

ccrane2299 03-17-2007 07:16 PM

Is that the mechanic you just dropped 10 grand on? He may be biased...lol.

magic626 03-17-2007 07:24 PM

Yeah he is a little biased but he is a good guy. When my transmission went out, he actually told me that he wouldn't touch the car for me anymore because he felt bad for me and told me it was time to change cars. He recommended the toyota and honda lines because he said that they have great track records that will last me 200,000 easily if I took good care of it.
I'd much rather get a compass though so I was wondering if jeep has a good track record for reliability issues? Will the car last me at least 150,000 miles without and big overhauls (tranny, engine, A/C)? I am the type of guy who babys my car too and will perform all the scheduled maintainences on time.

Gramps 03-18-2007 06:56 AM

It's kinda hard to give much of a testimonial about the Compass' reliability since it's only been around since last July. Totally new platform, engine and transmission, Mine may be one of the higher mileage ones out there with over 13,000 on it and all I've had to do is scheduled maintenance. The dealer adjusted a window channel under warranty and I had a check engine light come on that turned out to be maybe nothing more that bad gas or me not putting the gas cap on right. Maybe the best way to say it is that if my Compass was totalled tomorrow would I get another one? You bet I would! This has been a great ride so far!! :2thumbsup:

Others in this forum have had a few isolated problems including a recall for the brake system programming and a few things that are still being looked at.

Our other Jeep, a '96 Grand Cherokee has 180,000 miles on it and has primarily just regular maintenance. Yup, it's got a lifter noise early in the morning, we've replace the exhaust (rust), and the steering box and changed out the radiator, power steering pump, water pump, belts and hoses, shocks etc., nothing that I feel is abnormal for that many miles. If my wife ever gets rid of her GC it will be to get another one. :2thumbsup: again.

The Compass comes as either a "Sport" or a "Limited" no Rallye. You'll have to build that one yourself.

:D

snikr 03-18-2007 07:59 AM

While I don't have the mileage that Gramps has the wife and I both like the Compass. No problems yet (picked it up in November). And from what I'm reading on different boards, Toyota is having it's share of problems with quality. Just my $.02 worth.

Tom

magic626 03-18-2007 01:17 PM

Ohh is this why after calling 6 dealers around my area, none of them had the rallye edition? http://www.jeep.com/en/compass/rallye.html

thats the rallye that I'm talking about. Does this mean I have to go to the dealership and order one and wait like 2-3 months?

Gramps 03-18-2007 02:34 PM

Wow! A new option and some others too! I haven't had the need to do a build and price since I've got mine already. It says "Available on Sport and Limited Editions in both 2 and 4 Wheel Drive. Also says limited availability. I would imagine that you're right on the wait time. :(

Roof-mounted rear spoiler
Driving lamps with covers
18-inch black aluminum wheels
Rallye badge
Bright exhaust tip
Mopar® body kit
Front and rear fascia appliqués
Lower honeycomb front fascia grille
Side sill lower panels and door appliqués

2007 Jeep® Compass with Rallye Package
Option Package - $1,985*

magic626 03-18-2007 03:04 PM

Yeah.. now you see why I want the compass rallye edition so much!!! Being 20 years old, I think this edition looks fun and sporty.

I'm unfamiliar with building cars at a dealer... Will I be able to bargain over the price if I build it? The way i look at it is that since I'm the one needing them to build me a car, they might be reluctant to lower the price or give me any discount. Any tips on to getting the best price possible??

Gramps 03-18-2007 05:37 PM

There are always "Dealer Incentives", "Buy Backs" (Correction from wyocommander: HOLD BACK) , Dealer Anniversary sales and many times Factory or Corporate Discounts. It does pay to haggle up front if your going to haggle at all. With you being in So Cal there should be lots of dealers to choose from. Go the the Jeep website, build what you want, print it out and take it with you, go to several different dealers and TELL them that you are shopping for the BEST deal that you can get and that you are hitting dealers X, Y and Z too. Let them play one against the other, if they will. If you do the build and price at least you'll know what the max is that you might be paying, but at least your armed!

Don't forget, THEY are there to sell cars. They need the sale as much as you need the car. Smaller dealers may need the sale more than a high volume dealer. Check around.

And GOOD LUCK!!

:thumbsup:

echocat22 03-19-2007 06:07 AM

2007 Jeep® Compass with Rallye Package:2thumbsup: nice...maybe they can add some of that to my sport 4x4 once it starts coming out

BuzzDog 03-21-2007 08:06 PM

If you're coming out of a sports car into a definite non-sports car, you're going to have MORE reliability issues if you drive the Compass as most would tend to drive a 3000GT. Don't get me wrong - I really, really like my Compass - but if I drove it the way I drove my sports cars, I'd have the CVT in shreds by the end of the week. Fortunately, a Maxima was my "transition" from sports cars to SUVs, so I learned how to drive more conservatively while still having good power and handling.

Keep in mind is that a Compass will have a warranty, so you're covered for at least 3 years/36,000 miles. But the bottom line is to remember that while a Compass drives and handles better than just about any Jeep in history, you're still going to trade off some speed and handling that you have in your current ride. And if you try to push any Jeep to attempt to get the same level of performance, things are probably going to break.

Another thing: If you can't find a Compass with a Rallye package, you could probably build a clone rather easily from the Mopar catalog...for the same price or less. If things in your market are anything like they are in the Midwest, you'd pay less for the base vehicle by buying one from dealer stock, so you could apply that to your add-ons.

BTW, since you mentioned the reliability of your current Mitsubishi, did you know that Mitsubishi participated in the partnership that was responsible for creating the "World Engine" that's in the Compass? Of course, the other participants are Hyundai and Daimler-Chrysler; not sure about Hyundai, but both Daimler and Chrysler engines have a pretty solid reputation for reliability. Wish I could say the same about Chrysler's transmissions, but that appears to be improving... :)

Super Girl 03-28-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps
There are always "Dealer Incentives", "Buy Backs", Dealer Anniversary sales and many times Factory or Corporate Discounts. It does pay to haggle up front if your going to haggle at all. With you being in So Cal there should be lots of dealers to choose from. Go the the Jeep website, build what you want, print it out and take it with you, go to several different dealers and TELL them that you are shopping for the BEST deal that you can get and that you are hitting dealers X, Y and Z too. Let them play one against the other, if they will. If you do the build and price at least you'll know what the max is that you might be paying, but at least your armed!

Don't forget, THEY are there to sell cars. They need the sale as much as you need the car. Smaller dealers may need the sale more than a high volume dealer. Check around.

And GOOD LUCK!!

:thumbsup:

How do you find out about "Dealer Incentives", "Buy Backs", Factory or Corporate Discounts?? I'm tring to find some for Canada but I can't find any!!

Gramps 03-28-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Girl
How do you find out about "Dealer Incentives", "Buy Backs", Factory or Corporate Discounts?? I'm trying to find some for Canada but I can't find any!!

The Jeep.com website many times will list some of the corporate incentives/discounts sometimes in the "Build and Price Summary". The Dealers themselves sometimes do a "match" to those discounts and sometimes anniversary sales for their individual dealership. Here in the US there are also things like Presidents Day, Independents day, Thanksgiving and Christmas sales. I would suspect that Canada also has some "Holiday" sales but I can't verify that. If you have a few dealers in your area just go in and ask them what they can do for you. They may offer you something that will win you business. I still believe that if you do the Build and Price on the Jeep site and print it out, you can just show it to them and ask "What can you do for me?". That tells them that you have done your research and are looking for a good deal.

All that I know about "Buy Back" (Correction from wyocommander: HOLD BACK) is that DC gives dealers like a refund for ordering most cars. Tell them you know that too.

You can either start dealing from the top down (sticker price minus discounts) or go from the bottom up (invoice plus mark up). Don't be too shy to ask.

I'm no expert on this stuff, I just know what worked for me. If anybody else wants to offer some input, feel free.

Good luck!!

ponderosa 04-01-2007 06:47 PM

No Problems - 10,500 mi

The Compass drove well this winter. Just changed the oil again. 10,500 mi. Mobil 1

No problems at all. Brakes do have some delay but they work very well.

Been driving an some bad roads, no problem. I do baby the engine and transmission.

John

CoriolisSTORM 04-02-2007 04:12 PM

I haven't had any problems with my Caliber yet. (same platform and mechanical stuff). My Jeep Wrangler has never had any problems that haven't been caused by my tinkering. Its always ran good. (Funny story, when I was younger, my grandfather changed the spark plugs on my 2.5L. They evidentally got the wires on the wrong plugs! It would idle fine, and I'd be going down the highway and it would basically go into an almost Limp mode where it wouldn't hold a speed and would need to be stomped on to run even at idle. We took it to the dealer, and on the paper he gave us back, it said: "Spark plug wires on wrong cylinders. Solution: Move spark plug wires." :rofl: It would throw a CEL and all sorts of fun stuff then, and it actually didn't idle more roughly than normal or anything. I'd say go for it myself!

The time now is 05:48 AM.