JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Recall (Compass) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/recall-compass-355110/)

echocat22 12-28-2006 03:05 PM

Recall (Compass)

:eek: The Chrysler Group of DaimlerChrysler AG is recalling more than 62,000 new vehicles because of a problem in their brake system computers.

Chrysler said Friday the recall applies to 62,369 model year 2007 Chrysler Sebring, Chrysler 300, Jeep Commander, Jeep Compass, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Nitro, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger and Dodge Caliber vehicles.

Their brake system electronic control units need to be reprogrammed.

"In a small number of vehicles, instrument panel warning lamps may illuminate and be followed by loss of electronic brake distribution, anti-lock brake system, traction control and speedometer functions," the automaker said.

"This could result in a loss of vehicle control under certain operating conditions."

No accidents or injuries have been reported.

Owners will be notified in February, and in the meantime any motorist who sees the warning lamp light up should take the vehicle to a dealer for inspection.:eek:

Gramps 12-28-2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echocat22
:eek: The Chrysler Group of DaimlerChrysler AG is recalling more than 62,000 new vehicles because of a problem in their brake system computers.

Chrysler said Friday the recall applies to 62,369 model year 2007 Chrysler Sebring, Chrysler 300, Jeep Commander, Jeep Compass, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Nitro, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger and Dodge Caliber vehicles.

Their brake system electronic control units need to be reprogrammed.

"In a small number of vehicles, instrument panel warning lamps may illuminate and be followed by loss of electronic brake distribution, anti-lock brake system, traction control and speedometer functions," the automaker said.

"This could result in a loss of vehicle control under certain operating conditions."

No accidents or injuries have been reported.

Owners will be notified in February, and in the meantime any motorist who sees the warning lamp light up should take the vehicle to a dealer for inspection.:eek:

THANKS for the heads up!!:eek:

snikr 12-28-2006 06:01 PM

Oh great. A new Jeep and a recall ALREADY. The wife is going to be REAL happy about that....NOT! At least we've had no troubles yet. Oh well, someone from work sent me a notice about it but I deleted it without paying attention. Thanks for the "heads up" as well.

Tom

echocat22 12-28-2006 06:14 PM

i dont have to worry about the recall (not yet anyway) still dont have my compass

Gramps 12-28-2006 06:26 PM

If they are waiting until February to notify us it doesn't sound too critical. They did say "a small number". I'll turn over 10K by tomorrow, I've seen no warning lights or any other indication of a problem. I'm still alive, last time I checked anyway.:)

qf4phlyer 12-28-2006 06:27 PM

Nothing like getting your payment book, and recall notice the same day.

snikr 12-29-2006 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qf4phlyer
Nothing like getting your payment book, and recall notice the same day.

Yes that would be bad. Too bad when that happens they couldn't make that payment for you. Like that would ever happen :laugh:

Tom

Mistyfate 12-29-2006 09:45 AM

I read an article in the Star Ledger a few days ago about the recall...it wasn't just Jeep vehicles...

it seemed to involve many 2007 vehicles...here is an article I found on the web...it has similar information to what I read:

"Chrysler group to recall 62,400 vehicles

December 23, 2006

The Chrysler Group is recalling about 62,400 2007 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles in which the braking system may fail to work.

The recall includes 62,369 model year 2007 Chrysler Sebring, Chrysler 300, Jeep Commander, Jeep Compass, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Nitro, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger and Dodge Caliber vehicles to re-program a brake system Electronic Control Unit computer.

In affected vehicles, instrument panel warning lamps may illuminate and be followed by loss of Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), anti-lock brake system, traction control and speedometer functions. The problem could result in a loss of control. No accidents or injuries have been reported. Owners will be notified in February 2007. In the interim, customers who experience warning lamp illumination should take their vehicle to a certified dealer for inspection."

So far I haven't had any issues :P

we can check for recalls with the following link:

http://www.jeep.com/owners/index.html

this recall does not show up yet.

g3cko 12-29-2006 07:04 PM

I hope my brakes don't decide to not work on the NY thruway.

Coasty161 12-30-2006 04:36 PM

not really the right board for this but was too lazy to start a new thread. anyway my ? was about gaps between the doors. mine were off so i took it to the dealer and they realigned the drivers sides but they said that for the passanger side the car would have to be taken to an auto body shop as they dont have one. why would they fix one side and not the other? doesnt the gaps fall anywhere under the warrenty since its a new car?

Gramps 12-30-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07compasssport
not really the right board for this but was too lazy to start a new thread. anyway my ? was about gaps between the doors. mine were off so i took it to the dealer and they realigned the drivers sides but they said that for the passenger side the car would have to be taken to an auto body shop as they don't have one. why would they fix one side and not the other? doesn't the gaps fall anywhere under the warranty since its a new car?

I'm only thinking out loud on this but, I feel sure that all of the dealers have an 'authorized" body shop that does warranty work for them. It may be as simple as leaving your Compass so that they can take it to them or them calling ahead for you to take it over. I don't think that it's something that you would be paying for.

BuzzDog 12-31-2006 08:59 AM

I know that the recall is irritating, but it's really a GOOD thing...at least DCX was considerate enough to do this BEFORE there were any accidents or injuries.

In my opinion, I'll sleep a bit better at night, knowing that I purchased a vehicle from a company that addresses safety issues so quickly. Based on previous experiences, I can't say the same for some of the other car companies...

Gramps 12-31-2006 09:18 AM

The Wife's '96 GC with 180K just got a recall too. She'll be reimbursed almost $300 for a catalytic converter and then take it in for a ECM reprogramming and a fix on the floor shifter. New or old, Jeep isn't letting this stuff slide like so many others have done in the past :thumbsup: . If it was really something to be concerned about they wouldn't be waiting until February for the recall.

phil8400 01-02-2007 08:40 AM

I haven't received anything and the owner services site says "No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist "

PeteC 01-03-2007 05:55 AM

Just to set everyones minds at ease, the brakes on your compass still work like brakes have worked for a long time. Hydraulics. You push the pedal which pushes the piston in your master cylinder which increases the pressure in the brake lines and activates the pistons in your calipers (or wheel cylinders for cars with drum brakes).

Now, just going by what I read in the article posted, I will go out on a limb and assume the recall is on the electronic "Assist" portions of the braking systems. ABS, BAS, etc. and so on. If any of these fail while you are braking and you depend on them to stop your vehicle, you could see a problem. I try to not depend on them but I am happy when they work.

If any of these electronic brake assist systems fail, you will still have your normal brakes available.

So, as always, drive with caution and awareness. If your warning lights come on, drive it like days of old before all the electronic baby sitters were invented.

The time now is 11:52 AM.