Rear drum brake shoe replacements? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rear drum brake shoe replacements?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
dodgemahal

Rear drum brake shoe replacements?

Can anyone(hello Gramps!) give me a "primer" on a rear DRUM brake job? I saw Gramp's awesome lesson on a disc brake overhaul but need the same for rear drums. I know that is asking a lot....sorry. Any advice will be appreciated!

I have done a lot of brakes but the Patriot rear drum set-up looked different from what I'm used to. (I am an old car guy. Read: Pre-1972 Mopars)

Thanks.

dodgemahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Bad news. My service manual only really covers '07. About the only thing different, other than decorative items on any of these, is the rear drum brakes that came out in '08/9. I did a search but I have no info at this time. Maybe I need to see about a later service manual. It's hard to believe that mine is approaching 4 years old!

How soon are you looking to do these? If you're in a hurry your dealership could probably print out an exploded view of the brake set up. Is yours a FWD and what year?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
dodgemahal

I plan to tackle this in two days(Sunday). I have a FWD '08. I guess I will have to wing it. Where can I purchase a FSM on CD/DVD? That would be great. Thanks.
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Prepare yourself for sticker shock. Either a used printed or new CD version will run just shy of $140.

Printed:
2008 Jeep Patriot Compass Factory Service Manuals Set: eBay Motors (item 200471256509 end time Jun-09-10 20:10:14 PDT) $128.22 + $11 shipping = $139.22.

You can sometimes find the CD's on eBay for about $25 but they are pirate copies. I only see the 2007 version right now which will NOT cover the drum brakes. I also did a "completed" listing search and didn't find any for '08/'09.

On CD:
My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road $120 + $13.25 shipping & $6.00 Tax = $139.25.
The same place also has the printed one for $335 + shipping, etc.

Both versions have their advantages and disadvantage (outside of price).

For personal use I have always preferred the printed. It's easier to thumb threw and sometimes find different pictures that show a better view or orientation of some obscure part listed in an area that you may not consider as being pertinent.

However I have adapted to the CD. With it you have to click on link after link to keep opening subsections. This is sometimes frustrating because what you may be looking for is hidden in another area. The big advantage for me is that it's easier to cut, paste and EDIT (to avoid infringing on the copyrights) the info in the forum instead of scanning it in. Another nice aspect of the CD is that you can print out the section you're interested in and take it out with you to work on your Jeep.

Unread 05-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
deepnite10

i don t have one..but, will a Haynes manual have the
necessary information?
Jeep Patriot Repair Manual - ClickOn Auto Parts
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It may or may not. We have no way of knowing unless someone has the opportunity to look at one. Although I don't like the Hayes and Chilton's manuals for my primary source of info they do many times offer real pictures and different views that come in handy as an auxiliary or back up. In this case if they have the info on the drum brakes it would be very cost affective.

Unread 05-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
dodgemahal

Gramps,

Thanks for the info on the SM pricing stuff. I have looked at the rear drums and see that they are very straight forward.
They should be no problem to replace. Thanks.
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hey! Do some pics or a little write up to supplement the other thread if you can!

Unread 05-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
dodgemahal

FYI, The guys at Autozone and O'reilly's tell me there is no Hayne's or Chilton's for 08 Patriot/Compass yet.
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the heads up. The FSM is already on my wish list. I'm debating whether to get the '08 or '09. I'm just trying figure out if the '09 had drums too.

Tags
brakes , compass , drum brakes , rear brakes

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.