Rear brake pad change line removal necessary? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rear brake pad change line removal necessary?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 12-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Rear brake pad change line removal necessary?

I'm running into an issue when trying to remove the top rear brake caliper bolt on a 2008 Jeep Compass. The brake line going into the caliper is in the way when trying to back out the top bolt. I have tried in vain to wiggle the bolt past the bottom brass fitting in the line but still can't get the bolt out.

Any suggestions would be welcome. If it comes down to having to remove the line what should I do to minimize brake fluid loss? Should I clamp the line or let it run & bleed it after? Or both?

When bleeding, as it may be a one man job, does anyone recommend getting a set of speed bleeders?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

eshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
eshew
1993 ZJ 

OK. A 2 minute Google search shows a YouTube video where the top bolt is loosened and the bottom caliper bolt is removed allowing the caliper to be rotated and the pads removed...should have thought of that.... Brilliant!
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Just a final update:

Rear pads went in fine, and pretty darn easy. Didn't even need to clamp the piston back in, just my manly hands.

The compass had a nasty habit of squealing the rear brakes when cold and reversing down the driveway. It really made some noise & vibration. Sucked.

I went with some Napa Adaptive One pads. The brakes are now silent & work great hot or cold.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.