The real off road capabilities of the Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > The real off road capabilities of the Compass

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 08-10-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
derbederis

The real off road capabilities of the Compass

Now so much talk about the Compass being a real Jeep or not ... How really far off road have you gone with the compass?

I feel I have to share with you my first off road adventure with my new Compass (4X4, 2.4l, 5 speed manual, light khaki, sport edition).
I live in Pireus Greece and own a house in Evoia which is a Greek island.
From there we schedule short trips to little known lovely lonely beaches and we are in need of capable off road vehicles.
So I finally made the trail and started off together with a friend of mine who owns a Ford Maverick, 2.3l, 5 speed manual shift. The road we took included anything an off roading challenge would include except for mud. Lots of large stones, steep angles, sand, unstable stones, thick layers of pebbles etc)
Now listen I am a complete novice, a mere newbie on off road driving (but an experienced driver overall) and this was my FIRST experience on hard off road conditions. Considering my fellow who was driving the Ford Maverick I was starting from blanc white paper and he was just finishing his PHD on off roading...
NOT ONE SINGLE MOMENT did I feel inferior driver or did I find mere difficulty to seek for help or get stuck, although my pal was anxious if I could make it through a certain big uphill part of our trail.
NOT ONE SINGLE MOMENT did I feel that I was in danger, although lots of adrenaline was pouring off me when I was reaching parts unheard of passing them with my previous cars. My daughter was constantly shouting that "this part oh no!!! we are not going to make it etc..." Turn after turn, stone after stone, a deep smile was gradually growing on me and a feeling of confidence was building up on me.
Ok lots of you guys have encountered worse conditions and snow and thick mud etc... etc... but I tell you that THIS car made me dear take a difficult off road trail with confidence, pride, style and safety.
My first off road venture !!!

Derbederis is Perikles from Pireus Athens Greece
Jeep Compass, sport, 4X4, 5M, 2.4l. light khaki

derbederis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

THANKS!, You have just made my day, week and month!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
derbederis

Thx Gramps !!!

If you wanna do rock climbing in Greece with a "trail rated" 4X4 you need FIRST of all:
1. Lots of time
2. Lots of money...
3. Be in an association of off roaders (more money...)

I beleive many of them (in Greece ) are pros and really make money off of it and they got sponsors and all sorts of things.

But for the real guy who wants to go anywhere outside the normal road or highway the compass is the guide to start, stay and probably end with that
Unread 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
vaaggg
2007 MK Compass 

Hehe, nice!!!

PS: I thought I was the only Greek in here!!! :-)
Unread 08-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
derbederis

Hi patrida....!!!

I speak english
Hi I am Perikles living in Mikrolimano !!!
Unread 08-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
vaaggg
2007 MK Compass 

Nice to "e-meet" you Perikles! We are like 6km far!! LOL! I live in Palio Faliro (Flisvos)!
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
derbederis

Hey!!

Yeah right on !!!
I dont speak greeklish here because some operator is gonna kick us out 'f ya know what I mean !!!

How many PSI do you put on your tires?
Just want to know because I put 45-48!!!
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbederis
Yeah right on !!!
I dont speak greeklish here because some operator is gonna kick us out 'f ya know what I mean !!!

How many PSI do you put on your tires?
Just want to know because I put 45-48!!!
If by "here" you mean JF and by 'operator" you mean moderator the answer is 'not likely'. Since English is the commonality it's the preferred language. Of course you can pm in any language you like. We're all here for the enjoyment and I'm happy that's it's becoming more global.

Unread 08-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
derbederis

Sure but ...!!!

Thank you Gramps but since the Greek language is a bit difficult and as you might know "it's all Greek to me" means it is incomprehensible I could put some self restriction since it is not so polite to talk to another language if the majority of people here are English speaking.
Provided you plan to learn Greek so that you can start right now !!!
There are at least 2 Greeks at large in this forum mind you !!!
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbederis
Thank you Gramps but since the Greek language is a bit difficult and as you might know "it's all Greek to me" means it is incomprehensible I could put some self restriction since it is not so polite to talk to another language if the majority of people here are English speaking.
Provided you plan to learn Greek so that you can start right know !!!
There are at least 2 Greeks at large in this forum mind you !!!
Yes, "Beware of Greeks baring gifts" and mods that can edit posts!

Your English is probably far better than mine. My only claim to fame on languages is being able to use pretty much all of the dialects of N. America including "Spanglish", most of the UK's excluding Gaelic and lots of various phrases from many lands. In other words, I know just enough to get myself in a lot of trouble in a lot of different countries! I'm still learning to speak MK and Navajo was next on my list, but thanks for the offer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.