Real-Life Towing Experience with an MK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Real-Life Towing Experience with an MK?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
gnuenglander

Real-Life Towing Experience with an MK?

Hi:

I'm considering purchase of a Jeep Patriot with the 2.4L engine. Has anyone towed a trailer with the vehicle, most notably with the optional tow package (includes oil cooler and tow hitch) that allows towing up to 2,000 lbs. I will have to tow a utility trailer carrying a subcompact tractor from time to time that will weigh up to 1,800 lbs. Has anyone towed out there? How did the engine respond? Does your vehicle have the 5 speed manual or the CVT? Did you pull the load up any hills?

Thank you,

Kevin

gnuenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
offroader156

I don't have a Patriot yet, but I think you'll have a lot better towing experience with a manual than the cvt. I don't know what you want to tow, but if its near the Patriot's towing limit, you'll probably be running in high rpm a lot with the cvt as it varies the ratio to be lower, or basically having the motor use most of its available power.
offroader156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
offroader156

Unless you want to get the FDII offroad package and you don't mind shifting, from what I read on Jeepforum.com and jeep patriot.com for a year, I recommend the manual.
offroader156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Realizing that your not looking for just speculation, but I'll add my 2 cents in here and hope that we still get some better feed back. Over the years I've towed many things with many different vehicles and I prefer an automatic over a stick, you don't get the jerkiness when shifting. With the CVT your going to climb to probably near max rpm and then settle back once you've reached cruising speed just like you would driving a stick, except much smoother. With the CVT you also have 6 programed ratios and an infinite number of variable rations over the full range cruising up and down hills. The AutoStick may have a slight advantage controlling speed up and down hills but maybe not much, of course the stick could handle this quite well also. The stick does have a slight advantage pulling from a dead stop because of its slightly lower 1st gear but how much stop and go are you planning on and what type of terrain?

My "plan" is to have a small aluminum boat loaded with camping gear and keep it under 2k lbs. The MOPAR hitch is a class I hitch, 1 1/4" receptacle but only rated at 1500 lbs and not the 2K that is common on other class I's, for whatever reasons. I've heard from others that the hidden hitch has fit well on some but not on others, it rubs on the muffler. However, it is rated at 2K with a 2" receptacle. There are other receiver manufacturers out there also, so you may want to shop around.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
YeepYeepin
2009 JK Wrangler 

I tow a jet ski that probably weighs close to 1000lbs with trailer and all the gear. I do have the manual tranny, and I think it does pretty well considering it's only powered by a 2.4. Going up the big hills I find myself downshifting quite a bit, but there's no question as to whether there's enough torque to pull.
YeepYeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
luffy

Just moved this weekend, and used a U-haul trailer. My best guess is that the trailer loaded went about 2k lbs. I have a 5 speed which helped with the breaking. I did have to do a lot of downshifting when i went up a large hill (Pittsburgh has a few).

Her - 07 SRT-8
"For Play"
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the info. i like the lockable 4wd vs the come on when spinning like in her equinox now. next question is how is the 2.4L on power, i see it can tow 2000lbs withthe factory tow package. anyone tow anything like a pop-up camper
Unread 09-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Before I had the TSB done I aways felt that 2000 lbs may be taxing the CVT to it's limits for getting it rolling off the line. Now I feel that it could handle it with ease.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
NoneRequired

Just a note... the factory tow prep package does not include the actual hitch. It includes an engine oil cooler, a full size spare and the electrical harness. The harness is not installed, it's in a plastic bag, with the installation instructions on top of the spare.

I installed a draw-tite hitch on my Patriot, nothing rubs and it was really about a 30 minute job if that. I did it all alone, help would have made it even easier. The harness took a little longer to put on. I usually like my instructions to have words, because words have meanings and I don't have to guess what they mean. These instructions have no words. The harness probably took an hour to put on. Here's my tip... do the harness first, I wish I did, it would have been much easier to maneuver into position without the hitch in the way.
NoneRequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
safaribabe

Towing with a Patriot

I am curious about what folks are towing with a Patriot. We have a small trailer that we will be able to tow but wondered if it might actually tow my horse. I used to have a Chevy truck that died and a huge/heavy Logan horse trailer. I sold the trailer when my truck died as I was only a partial owner in it. But I wondered if I were to get a small horse trailer, maybe even aluminum rather than steal with all that extra weight, if I could actually tow with our new Patriot. My horse is a smaller sized Arab, maybe weighing in at around 950 pounds. I would only tow one horse.

This is all speculation as my 5 month old baby is sure taking up alot of play time!
safaribabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.