Real jeep? - JeepForum.com

2Likes
  • 1 Post By jcourt667
  • 1 Post By KLRJEEPER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
shaneRyan88

Real jeep?

Greetings all! I am the proud new owner of a slightly used (just over 20,000 miles) 2014 Jeep Compass Sport. It is by no means a top-of-the-line Compass, but I'm really enjoying it thus far, I've had it for less then 2 weeks now.

This is my 2nd Jeep, my first one was a very capable '79 CJ7. My question to all of you is just how capable of a 4x4 Jeep is the Jeep Compass? Or at least this one, as it is not equipped with Jeep's 'Trail Rated' 4x4 system.

Let me just say that I didn't purchase this vehicle to do any kind of serious off-roading... I do however do a lot of backpacking and need to drive on Forest Service Roads that are at times quite rugged.

I realize that the Jeep Compass is by no means a Grand Cherokee, but at the same time I'm curious as to its 4x4 capabilities. Either way, I really like this vehicle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-16-2016, 12:23 PM
98TJSE

well being its not much different then the Patriot .. i had a 13' patriot and it had a set of toyo at's on it, it was more then able to go on the trails that i took this on:

i just didnt care tho i drove the piss out of it since i was tired of repairing it wife wrote the patriot off not long after hahaha

just used different lines and used my brain, only thing you gotta be carefull for tho is lack of skid plates, and being in mining belt up here, its alot of rocks in the mud, but good tires and common sense it can go long way .. but remeber you got alot of plastic
post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2016, 10:24 AM
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

do you have the FDII package? (tow hooks, skid plates, "off road" next to the L on the shifter?) Then its pretty capable. The two biggest limiting factors are the lack of a two speed PTU and articulation. You'll find yourself with 1-2 wheels in the air often. with the BLD's on flat ground or going down hill this isn't an issue, but climbing hills it is.

I have a bunch of videos from when I went off road with mine:
https://goo.gl/MK2IpA

Sort by oldest videos to see them.

89 Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2016, 04:38 AM
KLRJEEPER

Newer FDI is just as capable as the FDII. Minus the skid plates and hooks which are easy fixes. Low range in the automatic is damn near exact to the FDII CVT. The FDI has the same springs now etc. I put mine through everything I put my JK through. Just have to pick my line better since I am not running skids yet. They are en route to me now. when I get them I am taking them to my powder coating booth, am powder coating them and the hooks wrinkle red! Give a little more trail hawk"y" appearance.

Since your running a 2014 shane, I am assuming your an automatic. Most everything is as good as the "off road" package. Extend your breather lines, add the FDII skid plates and tow hooks and go have fun!
post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2016, 12:10 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Not at all like a real jeep this is JOKE. I challenge anyone with one to be in AZ come to Parker AZ in a month and run the Desert splash. trails here are 1-5. you will be done on easy 3s and 2s are not much more that a rough dirt road. The real wheeling starts at 4 and its Buggy time to run a 5. ARC seems to forget the short comings of those on real trails.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #6 of 10 Old 10-10-2016, 12:19 PM
xxdabroxx
Dave's not here

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Not at all like a real jeep this is JOKE. I challenge anyone with one to be in AZ come to Parker AZ in a month and run the Desert splash. trails here are 1-5. you will be done on easy 3s and 2s are not much more that a rough dirt road. The real wheeling starts at 4 and its Buggy time to run a 5. ARC seems to forget the short comings of those on real trails.
The irony of a JK guy telling someone else they dont drive a real Jeep.

post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2016, 02:08 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Lol my Jk , not my first jeep. i started wheeling in 1975 and i lived in Lake Tahoe. My back yard was the Rubicon. My jk has run the Con 2x the Dusy Ersiem 3x maob many times. here in Az i hardly run anything under a 4. Every year we go back to cali to run those as well. Next year we are running Fordyce as our vacation summer club run. < YOU?

The question was it a real JEEP four letter and trail rated do not make it so. So you now want to say a Jk is not a jeep< tell you what next year few of us Azers will be a Fordyce in Aug. Lets see you walk the talk.....cant make that come to our clubs Desert splash here in Parker AZ. we can run the hard core trails, bring your tj and one of those pats and your A game. Body damage included. you keep up ill buy the burgers and beer at the desert bar.

My junk(Jk) is mainly for off road as well like 90%+, we do tow now to the long distant trails. 2d stripped to the bone. No air bags, so stocks seat no back seat no interior except the dash. I do the work on it as well. even a lot of fab work. No top excepting the bikini ever.

never get many pics of my junk on the trail but here is the start of a 4.5Az this section is a gate keeper to keep Jks out... it gets a LOT harder after this as well.

here is the jaws part of this trail. its like 15 feet up this water fall with a huge crack in it. and it has a hard left, right at the steepest .

get off line and even here one of my best friends and she is like 87 years old can flop it. great trail called "Hard A$$" 4.5

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #8 of 10 Old 10-10-2016, 07:52 PM
jcourt667
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
KLRJEEPER likes this.

94 Sahara YJ 4.0L HO. 255k miles! Been down for 8 years, time to get this out of the barn!
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2016, 02:40 AM
KLRJEEPER

My idea of a "real Jeep" so to speak since many "real Jeep" owner have small ***** syndrom....is, compare the jeep product to its competition.....the pat is up against the CRV, Rav 4, sportage etc....the Patriot Is miles better than those off road. Again, I have owned a "real Jeep" and Now I have the patriot and take it all the places I took my "real Jeep". Will the pat do the trails you shown above? Of course not. Will it get through 90% of what people take their real jeeps through? YEP!
jplinville likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-15-2016, 01:35 PM
98TJSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER View Post
My idea of a "real Jeep" so to speak since many "real Jeep" owner have small ***** syndrom....is, compare the jeep product to its competition.....the pat is up against the CRV, Rav 4, sportage etc....the Patriot Is miles better than those off road. Again, I have owned a "real Jeep" and Now I have the patriot and take it all the places I took my "real Jeep". Will the pat do the trails you shown above? Of course not. Will it get through 90% of what people take their real jeeps through? YEP!

^^ i dont think a STOCK TJ would last long in some of those places pictured.... without severe help.. (coming from a owning 2 1998 4 bangers one was bone stock when i got it.)

if the patriot was able to be lifted fitted with similar size tires etc.. and built similar with gear and so fourth .. it prolly would keep up on the above trails.. but comparing that built jeep to a Dodge Caliber* (same platform as compass/patriot) dosent give it a fair assesment either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.