Rattling noise?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rattling noise??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 04-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

Rattling noise??

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass with a little over 83,300 miles on it.

With in the last couple of weeks I've noticed a rattling noise. It goes away when you press the gas pedal but comes back when you are idling. It's seems to be coming from under the black box looking thing where you would put the oil in (yes, I'm a girl and have no clue what that is called). Today it seems to be louder than normal but I haven't had the money to take it to the shop and hope to be able to do so within the next week.

Anyways, has anyone had experience with this or a clue what could be causing it?

Thanks.

ETA: the car drives fine as it always has.

jandyrodax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Does the oil light come on? Can you get a video
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

No, the oil light doesn't come on. I just went after posting to get my oil change and tires rotated. I left the car running while the guy was writing up my ticket to see if he could hear it and he said he couldn't hear it (figures. LOL). It doesn't do it when you first start the car, but rather, it seems to do it after we've been riding around. When I got back home I could here it. grrr! Also, it when I got home it didn't seem to be as loud as it had seem this morning...so I dunno.....

I'd be more than happy to get a video but my daughter broke my camera about a week ago and I've not replaced it yet so I am unable to get you a video.
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That black thing on top is just an engine cover to reduce engine noise. It's only held on by 4 little ball shaped guides on top of the engine that pop into rubber grommets on bottom of the cover. It's not too hard to take off just by pulling up hard on it, sometimes they seem to be stuck so just pull harder. Then just leave it off if you like until you can better give a location of where the noise is coming from and get back with us.

Another good way of getting rid of noises like that is to turn up the radio, especially if you have the Boston Acoustics system . And to the group to you too!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

LOL! It's not noticeable when driving. My husband is a truck driver and will be home over the weekend so I'll see if he's up to taking that cover off and trying to figure where the noise is coming from and will post back. Thanks.
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Gramps what about a sticking valve? that would cause a ticking noise if im not mistaken!
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Even my wife would not refer to a "tick" as a rattle so that wasn't my first choice. The engine cover being loose could cause it or a heat shield on the back of the engine. Sometimes getting the cover off and looking around takes out a lot of guess work.

Unread 04-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

Well, we ended up taking it to 2 different shops and neither mechanic could hear the noise that my husband and I hear so I am beginning to wonder...are we going crazy. LOL!

Friday I took it to get the oil changed and a tire rotation. The mechanic there said he didn't hear anything and said he would check for anything when he was in there (he does other things besides oil change). When he was done he didn't hear anything, but when I got home I noticed it wasn't as loud as it had seemed to be before. When I was leaving the oil change place I noticed that the car would vear way to the right....so I am thinking alignment majorly needs to be done. Unfortunately, one of the things they don't do at that shop is an alignment.

So, Saturday we took it to the only place that was opened in this town which was Goodyear...bleh! The didn't do an alignment but did balance the tires which my husband looked and they were bad out of balance. However, now they are trying to get us to do $1,067.59 worth of work and half of that I don't agree needs to be done. They are saying we need the front and back disc brake pads replaced and the rotors resurfaced...which I fine rather funny because our brakes are working fine and the mechanic just the day before checked the brakes and said they were good. The other part Goodyear is saying we need to replace is the tie rod ends...this part we are getting a second opinion on before getting the work done just to make sure, but after reading several of the threads it seems the tie rod ends are a pretty common thing needed to be replaced on the 07 Compass'.

So a few more questions....

What would be considered a reasonable price for a shop to replace the tie rod ends? Goodyear is wanting about $400. I know it will be cheaper for my husband to replace them and he says he can do it, but he doesn't have the tools to do it currently. Is $400 reasonable or should we be able to get it cheaper?

Also, when/if the tie rods really do need replaced do we need to get the alignment done?
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your husband is a truck driver - how mechanically inclined is he? It should be fairly simple to do all of those ...

Pads and rotors would run you around $100 for decent quality components. Tie Rod Ends you can do yourself and if you are feeling ambitious, you can even do the required alignment after replacement yourself.

Alignment, brakes won't cause the rattling.
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

Yeah, I know the alignment and brakes won't cause the rattling. It's not as loud as it had been and 2 mechanics say they don't hear it so I still don't know what the heck it is.

My husband can do a few things that I know of for sure on a car as he has on my old car. He thinks he could do the tie rod ends, but has to get the tools for it first.

How do you do an alignment at home? I thought they put the car on a machine or something when I've had them done in the past.
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

83K and still on the original brake pads and tie rod ends? They don't normally last that long. My tie rod ends were replace along with the Lower Control Arms at about 50K or so (I think) for about $1200 at an over priced dealership. I'd call around to some good shops in your area and get some more prices for comparisons. The only salvation on mine is insurance paid for it.

Brakes - I replaced my rotors because there is no place close enough to get them turned otherwise I would have turned then if possible. They are somewhat inexpensive and my time was worth more that the half a day or more it would take to turn them.

Changing the brake pads is a pretty standard job. The long version of doing that is in the Quick Links sticky.

Alignment afterwards - yes. And come to think of it the wife said that mine had a funny rattle right before I had the work done. It was the middle of winter or I would have done it myself. As far as special tools the Service Manual shows a special c-clamp type of thing that I would use a tie rod "pickle fork" to do the same job of separating the tie rod from the steering knuckle.

Unread 04-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
jandyrodax
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks Gramps!

And, yes, these are the originals. Being a stay at home mom I don't drive the car that much, I'm never in any stop and go traffic like I used to be through out Atlanta when I did work before getting the Compass. And, every time we've had the brakes looked at we are always told they are good. When we got new tires we had them check the brakes, each time we get an oil change no matter where we take it (now it's the same place since moving) they always say the brakes are good.

My thinking is that if my ex sister in law can change brakes and rotors then my husband can do that if it really is needed and can change the tie rods. LOL! But, I am almost tempted when we go to Tennessee to call ahead and see if my husband's uncle (who does work on cars..at least his race cars) would do the work.
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This stuff is really just having the right tools - jack, jack stands, assortment of wrenches, pickle fork, hammer and some grunt power. Check back, I'll see if I can find some time to do a "how to" on the tie rods and control arms. If you do it yourself, shop the net for best prices and buy ahead of time. Since these are problem areas supply do run short at times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.