Rattle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Rattle

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Icekicker

Rattle

I have a rattle in the rear hatch. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem or if they had it fixed. I took it in 3 times already but it is stil there.

Icekicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
stevej1j8

I read somewhere that rattles in the rear hatch may be caused by the license plate securing system. With only two screws, the plate can rattle. There are supposed to be several rubber spacers that go behind the plate to prevent rattle. If you put your own plates on, the spacers may not be there. I checked mine and there are two thick foam rubber pads holding the plate away from the body.

One other rattle comes from the spare tire, jack etc in the rear.
stevej1j8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
compassjeep

yes

i have a rattle also, do you have the storage shade intalled if so, is it pulled out? does the rattle go away?
compassjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

mine seems to make some noise from the back area but usually only when it is real, real cold out(like when i get out of work at 6am when its 12 degrees out)
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
snikr

I've got that rattle. When it finally warms up a bit and stops snowing I'll have to check things out.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Since this thread has been talking about cold and noises it’s where I decided to put this FYI:

The gas pumps were frozen up this morning so I cancelled my normal fill up until later in the day. Really glad that the mileage is what it is! The schools across So. WI closed due to severe wind chill. Madison reporting -16/-31 wind chill. The low at home was -22/-43 wind chill. My Compass is parked out side, no problem starting. A few creeks and groans from the suspension were all gone with a few turns and the ice had broken away. Surprisingly there were no rattles from the rear area although the sub woofer did vibrate the cold plastic. Dialing the fader on the radio more to front took care of that.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
phil8400

That's cold Gramps!! Here in Ottawa it's a balmy -23c (-34 with windchill)
My Compass started up no problems and I don't have a block heater.

My rear hatch also rattles when the weather is cold. It doesn't seem to need ice build-up either. It's quite annoying. How can I remedy this?
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
That's cold Gramps!! Here in Ottawa it's a balmy -23c (-34 with windchill)
My Compass started up no problems and I don't have a block heater.

My rear hatch also rattles when the weather is cold. It doesn't seem to need ice build-up either. It's quite annoying. How can I remedy this?

Balmy? Right, get your shorts out! Phil, Move SOUTH! ¿Se Habla Español?

Seriously, the hatch itself rattles or is it the license plate? If it's the hatch it could be just an adjustment on the latch. If it's the license plate then maybe a couple of rubber bumpers like on the bottom of some computers, printers, etc., a computer supply store like staples should have those.

Last edited by Gramps; 02-05-2007 at 05:36 PM..
Unread 02-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Balmy? Right, get your shorts out! Phil, Move SOUTH! ¿Se Habla Español?

Seriously, the hatch itself rattles or is it the license plate? If it's the hatch it could be just an adjustment on the latch. If it's the license plate then maybe a couple of rubber bumpers like on the bottom of some computers, printers, etc., a computer supply store like staples should have those.

I have the bumpers. It's just the hatch I guess. It stops once the vehicle warms up, but it sounds like it's going to break.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
I have the bumpers. It's just the hatch I guess. It stops once the vehicle warms up, but it sounds like it's going to break.
Phill,

Sounds like a warranty job if they can figure out why it rattles like that. The lower latch looks like a little bit of a pain to get to, but the actual lock that's on the door itself has 2 screws that look like they are maybe for adjusting it. Sometimes it doesn't take much and with yours only doing it in cold weather it doesn't sound like it's very far out of adjustment.

When it's cold out try pushing on the top part of the door and then on the bottom and see which has the "give" to it. If it's the bottom then the above may fix it. If it's the top then it may need a hinge adjustment. I'd leave the hinge adjustment to the dealer. If you don't know what your doing on that you can really get the door cockeyed!

Unread 02-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
snikr

Our rattle sounds like the floor covering the spare tire. I have something I'm going to try before I bug the dealer. Then again, it might be the plate or hatch. I'll keep everyone posted.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #12
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

Mine needs to be slamed shut!

My Compass rear hatch has always needed to be slamed shut. If not it rattled.
When it was 5 deg it barely shut tight without a rattle.
I told the salesman to remove the dealership border on the plate when he switched the plate. With just the plate the slaming is not too bad.
Had to grease the doors.

Only complaints to far.

Very good on ice, snow and mud.

John D.
ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.