Random Headlight Flickering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Random Headlight Flickering

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Random Headlight Flickering

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone else out there has noticed if their headlights flicker at night.... randomly?

I've noticed it since I bought it, and when I had the car in for its first service, of course the dealer said they checked it and there's nothing wrong. I've been noticing it more often, but not every time I drive it at night. Has anyone else experienced this with their Compass?

mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
NoneRequired

Sounds like a grounding problem maybe. The headlights are controlled by the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)
NoneRequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

Anyone know where the TIPM is located? I need to take it out and kick its Butt so I can re-try to install HID headlights successfully
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laloggia
Anyone know where the TIPM is located? I need to take it out and kick its Butt so I can re-try to install HID headlights successfully
There are 11 different connectors with a wiring diagram for each. 27 different images to re size and attach....tomorrow. I'll just do them all and put them in a sticky.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

I have seen this in the past myself, however very infrequently. I would also find your information useful gramps. It never hurts to go over the connections and verify them.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus
I have seen this in the past myself, however very infrequently. I would also find your information useful gramps. It never hurts to go over the connections and verify them.
It's stuck and locked. Totally Integrated Power Module. Please keep the questions going here or in the correct thread. If I need to modify the sticky, add info or whatever, just let me know.

Unread 09-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
Jason31

Flickering as in both headlights completely going out then coming back on, or you just noticing them very slightly dimming back and forth.

Both headlights, foglights too, only foglights...?

Need more info.
Unread 09-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason31
Flickering as in both headlights completely going out then coming back on, or you just noticing them very slightly dimming back and forth.

Both headlights, foglights too, only foglights...?

Need more info.

What I have seen is just a very quick flicker of both headlights..... Not sure about the fog lights.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #9
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus
What I have seen is just a very quick flicker of both headlights..... Not sure about the fog lights.
Same thing here. A very quick flicker of both headlights. Haven't noticed anything with the fog lights yet.
Unread 09-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #10
Jason31

Hmmm, haven't seen that issue myself. I switched my headlights/foglights over to Silverstars. Still no issues with them either.

Doesn't sound like a connection problem unless it does it frequently. Possible bad string of relays Jeep was given?
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

More than likely it's just a dip in power when the electric fan comes on, basically when it's getting hot or the A/C compressor kicks on.
Unread 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
Jason31

The battery or alternator would have to be in poor shape for a dip in power to happen while traveling down the road. (enough that you would notice it) If it happens at idle, I guess you could call it a flicker, barely.
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
buzzboy

headlight flicker

hi I am from england in the uk dont let the handle buzzboy kid ya i am older than gramps.and not very good on this ere computer but here goes.I have had my compass for about 6 months its diesal an i love her. The only problem i have had are the flickering headlights i informed the dealers who said they would check it out on the first service in about another 4,000 miles.In the meantime i woud appreciate any help on this subject.Sorry the message is a bit long.cheers old buzzboy.
buzzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzboy
hi I am from england in the uk dont let the handle buzzboy kid ya i am older than gramps.and not very good on this ere computer but here goes.I have had my compass for about 6 months its diesal an i love her. The only problem i have had are the flickering headlights i informed the dealers who said they would check it out on the first service in about another 4,000 miles.In the meantime i woud appreciate any help on this subject.Sorry the message is a bit long.cheers old buzzboy.
Hey Buzzboy! Welcome to the forums. Looks like we both have the same issue, and both have the Turbo Diesel! It's the only common factor we have on this issue so far.

I've taken my Compass to the dealer for its first 10,000km service - and as usual, they say they couldn't "fault" it. I'm keeping a close eye on it...
Unread 01-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Still no TSB's on this, I check for new ones about every week. The only things that I can think of on this is to make sure that all of the fuses/connections are seated/tightened. The only other thing that I've had that caused this kind of problem was a bad headlight switch and a master panel on the firewall (old car, lots of miles). You guys have probably check that stuff already.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.