Questions from a prospective first time jeep (patriot) owner. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Questions from a prospective first time jeep (patriot) owner.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
JQ_Brat

Questions from a prospective first time jeep (patriot) owner.

I am in the market for a new vehicle. The (2010) Patriot seems to fit all of my requirements. I'm a little worried about the 4 cyl engine. I am trading in a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD, 6 cyl that has been killing me in the repairs department. Is the Patriot known for any common problems in the newer models? I read that the 07-early 08 models had issues. I know it's hard to say with the model being newer but I'm hoping all the bugs are worked out now.

Also, I live in the snowbelt and was wondering if the FWD Auto would be sufficient or if I should go with the 4WD. I'd get a manual but the fiance doesn't know how to drive one and I'm sure he wouldn't be very happy with me if I did.

I just need something reliable? Will I find that in the Jeep Patriot? Anyone hit 100k miles yet? Did it start falling apart once you did?

JQ_Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
95YJRioGrande

I don't know much about the patriot but I do live where it snows well over 100 inches a year and I am very happy with my 4WD I'm sure you could get away with FWD but I feel a lot more secure knowing that I can pretty much go through snow up to my waist lol I hope this helps...If it was me I'd get a 4 door wrangler because it's the best vehicle on the market hands down and loads of fun
95YJRioGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

I'd get the 4x4. I have that on my Compass and I think its great! It automatic so you never have to think about turning it on or off. I may sound a little sexiest here but a male who doesn't know how to drive a standard?? Give him lessons and get a standard!
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Love my 4x, CVT. I've heard of several who got the FWD and they haven't been disappointed in snow or ice either. With all of the electronics, ESP, anti-skid, etc, the FWD seem to do just fine. I'll have to say that the bugs were pretty much worked out about mid year '08. A few problems on the early ones like roof/sunroof leaks, early tie rod end failures, control arm bushings. Nothing note worthy as any more that "stuff happens" on the engine/drivetrain/electronics. Very few problems! The only problem is that the factory tires suck!!!!!! Maybe you can talk the dealer in to some GOOD ONES!

I just got mine back from my daughter after she had it for almost a month. I needed her Dakota with a V-6 for a long haul towing job back from Oregon. I'm the only one who works on her truck and the only time I get to do that is when we do an extended swap. She was very sorry that I had finished with her truck, she didn't want to give up the Compass (same as a Patriot except for the body shell). 60K mikes and still doing great.

Oh ya, the Hyundai Tucson was in the final running when I bought mine.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

We have the 4X4 FD1 Patriot and it is awesome in the snow and icy roads with good tires. We have no maintenance issues with 55k miles but some owners have suspension problems but I just found out that Moog makes replacement tie rod ends and now ball joints bound to be superior to the factory parts. I think my wife would have liked the CVT better than the 5 speed.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here' a high mileage thread from cuemark8.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/h...update-991112/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
bassinhalman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

we have an 08 patriot that i do a 60 mile per day commute with. it is a manual with 4wd and has been a great vehicle for the 67000 miles we have driven it in oklahoma. however, the 4 cyl does not like the altitude or the steep hills of the colorado mountains if you have much weight in it, it just does not have enough power. on the up side, this winter we had a huge (for oklahoma) snowstorm blow in on christmas eve which dumped a foot of snow in a few hours with 50 mph winds. they closed all interstates but i was determined to drive home from work. it took me 3 hours to do the 30 miles through the little towns on backroads but the patriot never once got stuck. there were vehicles stuck everywhere but i woulkd just jump the curb and keep going. ours does have the 17" wheels with the optional all terrain tires ( which lasted 50000 miles by the way). i would definately buy another one for what i use for!

Tags
opinions , patriot , reliability

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.