question for you autostick folks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > question for you autostick folks

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 08-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

question for you autostick folks

my (well the wifes) patriot doesnt have autostick, just "D" and "L" and I always wondered how fast "L" can go, as I had never gone above 50 MPH or so in it as with the engine sitting at 6 grand you cant just do "redline" shifts like old skool automatics.

so I asked in the MK engineer Q&A thread (which was great, wish I had been able to join in sooner than I did) and they replied "use 'L' at any speed as the tranny will protect itself if youre going to fast."

so today I had to go into the city and on the highway at 65 mph I shifted to "L" and waited to die in a huge fireball. all that happened was the tach went to 5 grand. nice. accelerated to 75 or so and it seems to stop pulling at that point so just shifted to "D."

so my question is what happens when you tell an autostick to go into "1" or something at 65 mph? does it not allow it? or what happens if you just leave it in "1" and keep it pinned? does it just stop accelerating after a while?

also are those "gears" one fixed ratio (like say 1st is 10:1) or a ratio range (like 1st is 10:1 to 8:1)?

we were thinking of buying another patriot down the road and since all the CVT2s are autosticks now (except the CVT2Ls) I got to wondering.

Unread 08-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

so my question is what happens when you tell an autostick to go into "1" or something at 65 mph? does it not allow it? or what happens if you just leave it in "1" and keep it pinned? does it just stop accelerating after a while?

it will not allow you to shift to a lower gear ratio that would over rev the engine. At 60 mph you can get it down to 3 at the lowest.

Also if you dont up shift you will hit the rev limiter on the engine and go no faster, but if you leave it in 6 and while slowing down, it will automatically shift down to the next gear before the engine stalls.

also are those "gears" one fixed ratio (like say 1st is 10:1) or a ratio range (like 1st is 10:1 to 8:1)?

As far as i know they are preset in the computer to a specific ratio.
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I found this out when I was doing my 0 - 60 times. Starting out in 1st and nailing it, it goes to redline and shifts to 2nd by itself and then redline again and goes to 3rd by itself and so on.

In downshifting by tapping the selector to the left, it doesn't matter how many time that you tap it, it will only go as low as needed to keep you below redline. It will drop all the way to first at about 50 or so but only to 2nd at about 65. I didn't play with this a lot so those are just some crude findings. I also recall that when I was trying to check "speeds in gears" that I had left in either 4th or 5th and when I turned off it started choking and sputtering so I put it back into D.

The AutoStick, when YOU select a gear such as 1st, 2nd, whatever, it is locked in at a definite ratio. When in Drive it variates and slides between ratios. I have never been able to find out what the "gear" ratios are, it's in the programming and could be "subject to change without notice". That's also in reference to one of my questions of the Engineers that wasn't quite answered but maybe I didn't ask it right.

I'll check all of this tonight again, depending on traffic.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I had a little bit of a chance to check again on the way home. It shifts UP at about 45 or so from 1 to 2; from 2 to 3 at about 55 or so. If you tap it down a couple of times at 65 it will go to 3rd. It shifts up automatically but does not shift down. I let it coast down to 20 @1200rpm in 5th gear and that's where it sits. Tried to accelerate from that point and there was no performance at all, no down shift at all. Held it over to the right to go back into Drive and it down shifted and just took off fine.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

hmm, schoat333 and Gramps autosticks seem to act differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoat333
Also if you dont up shift you will hit the rev limiter on the engine and go no faster, but if you leave it in 6 and while slowing down, it will automatically shift down to the next gear before the engine stalls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Starting out in 1st and nailing it, it goes to redline and shifts to 2nd by itself and then redline again and goes to 3rd by itself and so on.
[...]
It shifts up automatically but does not shift down. I let it coast down to 20 @1200rpm in 5th gear and that's where it sits. Tried to accelerate from that point and there was no performance at all, no down shift at all.
maybe different years? or am I missing something (Im good at that)?

like if you select "1" and nail it it will upshift by itself? or does it readline and stop accelerating and you have to tap it into "2" yourself?

either way 45-50ish in 1st seems like a longish gear for 1st. Id think you could get more acceleration by having a higher ratio in 1st (like something that gives 0-30 in 1st).

now that Ive been using "L" for more than parking lots and hill decent its sorta nice, its like that "performance/economy" switch I asked about in the MK Q&A, just leave it in "L" for a bit more pep as it doesnt have to slide up the ratio as much when you nail it.

it does seem to take longer than Id wish to slide up in ratios while in "D", my XJ can do a 3-1 downshift faster than the MKs CVT can change from a low ratio to a high ratio. maybe future CVTs can be be tweaked to slide faster.

EDIT: sooner or later some super geek gear head will come out with a reprogrammer for the CVT. Id pay some coin to be able to change stuff around in there. (oops, there goes my lifetime warranty).

Last edited by CharBroiled; 08-04-2008 at 08:32 AM..
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

I know that when I use the autostick feature, its when I'm cruising on nice level roads and I'll slip into "6" to drop the rpm's a bit and let it roll what feels a little more freely. When I come to a stop, it will shift down all the way to "1" at the complete stop and start out in the ratio when the gas is applied to start moving again. In the limited playing around that I have done with it, I have never had it upshift on me when the conditions would warrant it. I've always had to manually shift to the higher numbered gears on my own.

I've got a 2007 Compass that was made in April 06.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
I know that when I use the autostick feature, its when I'm cruising on nice level roads and I'll slip into "6" to drop the rpm's a bit and let it roll what feels a little more freely. When I come to a stop, it will shift down all the way to "1" at the complete stop and start out in the ratio when the gas is applied to start moving again. In the limited playing around that I have done with it, I have never had it upshift on me when the conditions would warrant it. I've always had to manually shift to the higher numbered gears on my own.

I've got a 2007 Compass that was made in April 06.
thats goes the same for me as well. i dont have to down shift but it does not upshift for me if im in manual mode. it will rev you 6k rpms and not shift out of first.

Mine is a 2008 patriot build in april of 08
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
lukewiens
2008 MK Patriot 

hope i am not derailing here...

but does anyone know the factory recommendations on shift points (tach) while using the autostick??
for mileage sake, down-shifting, etc??

thanks.
lukewiens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

my 08 compass...will shift itself once it reaches approx 6000 rpm.... as for "shift points" I try and keep it around where i've seen stock ****...2-2500 RPM...NORMALLY if i'm using autostick its to just play around etc...so I go up to about 3-4000... 3-4 is when it starts to get to its best power ban if you wanna give it gas...so its best not to be TOO far away from there if you want to be punching it!....
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.