Question from possible new Patriot owner... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Question from possible new Patriot owner...

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Question from possible new Patriot owner...

Recently got married, and im thinking about getting the wife and I a 2011 Patriot after I return from my deployment later this coming year. We both like manual, so the patriot wont be a freedom drive II. But I was wondering how hard it would be to install the freedom drive II options (skid plate / tow points / etc) on a standard patriot.

Its a shame there are so few options for people who drive manual, but if I can install those pieces, then Ill be happy, even if i dont have 4Lo. My reasoning is, if we get stuck for some reason in 4Hi, if i have the tow points, i can atleast pull it out with my TJ (getting a winch soon). And im talking about in the winter, not just off roading.

The patriot is one of the few CUV/SUV like vehicals that you can still have with a manual. The Rav4 and CRV are just to... wimpy for my taste. I also like how its full time AWD and I find the new interior nice.

BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have the 5 speed manual with FD1 and it is absolutely awesome in snow and icy roads. Gramps has a link for attaching skid plates but I don't know about hook points. We have a 99 Cherokee also but the Patriot gets to go on the ski trips.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hi ya and . You'll find most of that info over here in the Quick Links in posts 4 and 5. There is another Jeep site that has modified a standard Patriot for the front tow hooks. I was hoping they would post the "how to" over here but I may just have to "borrow" that info and post it myself.

Many people go with a receiver on the rear which does not fit with the rear tow hook. So do NOT use the MOPAR receiver, go with something that uses a 2" square tube because you can get a tow hook for that.

All of the pieces, except the drive train mods, can be done.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

No opinion on skids.
But the Patriot is an awesome family vehicle. Great mileage and tons of room. I describe it as "deceptively roomy."
We have the front drive with the CVT. This is my wife's Jeep and the one my son is learning to drive on. Eventually I will teach him how to drive my JKUR of road.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Speaking of winter - get some GOOD TIRES!! That's about the only weak point.

I have the lift on mine and skid plates. No matter how much lift you have you WILL find a rock that is taller if you're going off road. I haven't taken mine off road but I did hit an iceberg left by the snow plows and the skid plates saved my engine and transaxle. I thought it was just a snow drift - NOT.

Unread 11-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the welcome guys. And yeah, I've noticed alot of threads about tires. That will probubly be the first mod done to the car. The TJ is my main off road toy, but I still want to have a seconadry vehical with 4x4. It'll also be nice to have something that gets decent gas milage lol.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

@Gramps. No drifts in Greensboro When we lived in MA, we took my built YJ out on bad snow.
Now we don't have to worry. They close school here if there is a forecast of snow. Ha!

Hopefully buy the time we need tires for the Patriot, the Cross Terrain will be available or I discover something just as good for it. But it will be at least 5 years before the need arises. My wife won't even put 10K miles a year on the Patriot.
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I didn't worry about snow in AZ either unless I headed up to Mt Lemmon or the White Mtns . Since I did that tire size chart back in August of '07 the manufacturers have added a lot to their line up. Selection is much better now. The 16" steel wheels have some of the best assortment and price with the 17" coming in close behind. I'm still not impressed with what's available for the 18" that came with mine but it's better than it was at that time. I replaced the Firehawks at about 23K and the Kumhos that I put on are at about 63K now and still have lots of tread left. Still, I look forward to when I can do a paint job on the 16" rims that I picked up and put some real off road tires on it.

Unread 11-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
@Gramps. No drifts in Greensboro When we lived in MA, we took my built YJ out on bad snow.
Now we don't have to worry. They close school here if there is a forecast of snow. Ha!

Hopefully buy the time we need tires for the Patriot, the Cross Terrain will be available or I discover something just as good for it. But it will be at least 5 years before the need arises. My wife won't even put 10K miles a year on the Patriot.
But the Jeeps never get a day off in North Carolina... rain or snow, and I don't think they want one.
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
But the Jeeps never get a day off in North Carolina... rain or snow, and I don't think they want one.
True.
Been so busy lately I have only been to URE once with my JKUR. Gotta get there a couple more times before the end of the season.
Most trails in URE are too much for a Patriot. It will get hung up on the fire breaks.
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #11
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Soooo i found this kit...

Jeep Patriot lift kit (suspension) and Compass

are there any negetive effects of putting a lift like this on the patriot. For example, to lift the TJ, you may have to install an SYE and get a new track bar etc...

If i buy a new one, i would like to put a lift on it, but i also dont want to cause a negetive effect on a new car
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

In addition to the RRO lift kit that uses spacers another lift kit from Australia is also available. The other lift kit has replacement coil springs and also can raise the Patriot by 2 inches.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yes, in addition to the RRO kit there is the Aussie lift kit. With both lift kits being a mild 2" there are no inherent problems problems other than some dealers claim it voids the warranty and you will need to get an alignment. These same dealers say that tires taller than 28" also void the warranty. That's a dealer call.

I've got about 40K on mine since I put on the RRO kit (it's been available longer) and I would do it again. The Aussie kit is a bit more spendy and shipping isn't cheap. They were trying to find a US distributor so the price on shipping could come down.

I have had the Ball joints and tie rod ends replaced on mine but so have many, many others who don't have either lift. The problems have been with the early ball joints and tie rods and not the lift kits. Moog is now making replacement parts for these that have grease fittings and are of a much better quality!!!

Tires and speedometer error. If you get the optional Wrangler tires (28") then you won't need to have your speedo re-calibrated. BUT the tallest tire that they can re-calibrate for IS a 28", so if you go taller you'll need to keep in mind that your speedo will be off.

Unread 11-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. When i got new tires for the jeep, to prevent rubbing, I got rims with a different backspacing. The tires stick further out, and will probubly help with ride stability when I lift it.

Are there any good specs on aftermarket rims with a good backspacing for the patriot. I dont want it to go outside of the fenders to much, but i also (personally) dont like the look when something is lifted, and has a skinny stance. If i go taller, id also like to go a bit wider.

**side note: we went to the dealership yesterday to pick up a part for the TJ (heater switch broke) and managed to find a 2011 4x2. Looks nice inside and out.
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwrangler99 View Post
(personally) dont like the look when something is lifted, and has a skinny stance. If i go taller, id also like to go a bit wider.
You know what they say... "if you go UP, you must go OUT"

Tags
lift , mk , patriot , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.